TFI Slip? ELO

Wanderlei

I think it does make a difference that Lionel and Dolly were massively respected in their own fields and had acclaim plus the cheese. They can also change the feel of a set by dropping in some sincerity and changing the tone. Thats what you need when those sets really work. You want to shout along to a cheesy banger but also get a little bit sentimental too.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mid-forties and while I do think they're a bit overrated in terms of their impact/relevance, I do of course recognize many of their radio-friendly tunes. I'd catch them at 4 or 5pm on the Pyramid if nothing else was on, but hardly a 'need-to-be-upfront-in-the-pit' kind of act for me personally, but a great booking for Glasto if it comes through.

This ELO question posed here is an example of a sign of the times when aging (mid-40's) attendees such as myself find increasingly different memories and expectations of what should be on a Glasto lineup vs. the changing demographic of the 200,000 on site these days. I reckon far fewer will have heard of ELO, but even back in 2013, I recall being up in the front for Nick Cave and explaining to some others I’d met and had been chatting with there that I’d be dashing off just as it was over to see Smashing Pumpkins, which I thought was quite a 'coup' booking that year. They were 20/25 plus years old, and knew their music but admitted that Smashing Pumpkins just drew a big 'blank' to them, and that’s just 1990’s recent history…

I'm worried that we may soon be coming to a point where even a band like Radiohead – with each year that they don't play & with their cult-like fanbase– will no longer be considered as Pyramid headliners anymore … I actually even wonder if Thom Yorke would even today want to headline Glasto anymore, or if he'd just prefer the stealth appearance here and there... How many of the 135,000 who got through for tickets on Oct 4th know anything about the historical significance of Radiohead’s 97 or '03 appearances, or would care? How many of those who do know of and appreciate Radiohead's link to the festival couldn't get a ticket this time around because of the wider ticket-buying masses needing to ‘check off’ Glasto crowding them out? How many of those lucky 135,000 are first-time Glasto attendees? Was it a younger crowd being savvy enough to get through the servers? It would be interesting to know who got through and what really attracted them to Glasto if they were first-timers...was it seeing Lionel Richie/Dolly Parton on the telly the past few years, or would they be happier to see a Ray Davies, or ELO type on a sunday afternoon?

Even reading through the recent thread on ‘best performance you’ve seen’ at Glasto, you could see that a much higher responses rate from just the past 2 fests, & as such EFestivals has a lot of newbies on their 2nd or 3rd Festival. Of course it’s great to have everyone on the Forums, especially new people contributing but you can also sense at times a bit of .... not tension, but... increased ‘rolling of the eyes’ between posters on here of different ages/eras, much more so than in the past. Just the reaction to The Who being confirmed on here for 2007 vs. 2014 for example...we'll see more diverging memories - or lack of - on the likes of ELO and other acts a they get rumoured as EFests retains its older posters and attracts younger ones...

It's all good having this mix and a sign of the times, but I just chuckle at a thread post that asks "who are ELO?"....I wonder how many blank stares ELP would draw on here too?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm gonna love it if they both play. Always wanted to see Bazza and the legends slot would be perfect. Even better if Jeff follows on after. ELO would be incredible on W.Holts but not sure Mr. Lynne would accept it. So there's my solution.. both of 'em near segued. Perfect beer shouting happyjoy funtime. :)