Radiohead touring in 2016

Redwinevino

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, russycarps said:

She's only playing based on record sales and fame. It's laughable to suggest she's an appropriate Saturday headliner. Even she admits she isn't!

what's the difference between her and Celine Dion?

Yes muse and coldplay are awful unimaginative bookings, but that doesn't somehow make adele become the great white hope. She's absolute shite. 

I completely see your point, I think a couple of years ago she wouldn't of even crossed my mind as a potential Glastonbury headliner.

But I think with the directions Emily is taking, she wants Glastonbury to be both a festival who books the best variety and the biggest acts. I guess it's hard to run a festival, eventually you run out of headliners, and have to look to new options - plus there is a novelty in Adele doing it! As she is this act who sells millions of copies of her albums, it's a pretty big feat to get her to appear at your festival. The Rolling Stones were both influential to music and big sellers, and I guess there is always a drive to want to book the biggest selling acts for your festival.

Edited by Matt42

2 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Is he? That's sad to hear.

Hope LP9 doesn't turn out to be like Ghost Stories.

aye last year

"Rachel and I have separated. After 23 highly creative and happy years, for various reasons we have gone our separate ways. It's perfectly amicable and has been common knowledge for some time."

I'm sure Radiohead would make a better stab at a breakup album than Coldplay, and wouldn't need an Avicii aided single to pick things up

17 minutes ago, buddiepaul said:

The fact that Adele herself doesn't think she is headline material is quite refreshing.  Her current shows are a sell out and she has sold so many records, so in reality she should be where she is.  Not my cup of tea, but I think it is a good booking.      

Why does selling lots of records and selling out her own gigs mean she should headline Glastonbury? I don't understand the link

The pretentiousness on these threads is incredible.

As soon as a band seemingly becomes large or sells records they're absolutely hated whilst utterly average bands are adored as they're small and seen as 'alternative'. 

Everyone has different views, accept it and stop complaining, it's beyond tedious. 

11 minutes ago, tombertb said:

As soon as a band seemingly becomes large or sells records they're absolutely hated

You've come to tell us this on the 195th page of a thread of our utter adoration for a multi-million selling artist?

Edited by Bradders

25 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

The only reason Glastonbury didn't get big acts in the olden days is because they couldn't. It's not really confusing.

That's absolute bollocks though. There was no appetite for huge selling chart acts.

Edited by russycarps

11 minutes ago, tombertb said:

As soon as a band seemingly becomes large or sells records they're absolutely hated whilst utterly average bands are adored as they're small and seen as 'alternative'. 

Everyone has different views, accept it and stop complaining, it's beyond tedious. 

Physician, heal thyself!

12 minutes ago, tombertb said:

Eh? Radiohead are huge and we absolutely love them.

Have you been sniffing glue?

15 minutes ago, tombertb said:

You've not been 'round 'ere long, have you?

What the hell else do you think many of us would do all the time?!

;)

Ben

The accusation that people on this board hate things just because they're mainstream is complete bollocks. Usually just people getting cross that bands they like have copped a bit of flak. The most hate goes to mid-level indie alsorans like Catfish and The Courteeners.

Why would Radiohead play a secret set before Adele? There would be a lot of people waiting for Adele in front of the pyramid and also the Pyramid dweller  and I'm pretty sure between those two sets of group there wouldnt be many who is a big fan of Radiohead (they probably wouldnt know any songs from them aside from probably Creep and High and Dry)

That doesnt make sense to me...a secret set at The Park, JP or Other makes much more sense if they are indeed playing this year

1 minute ago, defrio29 said:

Why would Radiohead play a secret set before Adele? There would be a lot of people waiting for Adele in front of the pyramid and also the Pyramid dweller  and I'm pretty sure between those two sets of group there wouldnt be many who is a big fan of Radiohead (they probably wouldnt know any songs from them aside from probably Creep and High and Dry)

That doesnt make sense to me...a secret set at The Park, JP or Other makes much more sense if they are indeed playing this year

i think Park and JP are both out because of how insanely rammed they'd get in the event of an act like Radiohead playing a surprise set, but i do wonder if a gap in the schedule or announced Special Guest on either the Other or Pyramid midday would be a possibility - no real chance of crowd crushes and with a gap in the schedule, not as many people simply hanging round for the following act. basically a bigger scale version of what they did in 2011, with hopefully less of a new album filled set

19 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Thing is it hasn't changed THAT much. In the 90s, the indie stuff was the chart stuff. Pulp/Blur/Oasis' records were constantly in top ten. What Russy means is he doesn't like what's in the charts as music isn't what it used to be, it all sounds the same now and is just noise. 

are you suggesting that pulp/blur are on an equivalent level as adele/coldplay?

come off it....

the simple fact is an act like adele in the 90s - eg mariah carey/whitney houston/celine dion - would not have even been close to being considered to be asked to play. Despite their mega record sales and ultra-fame that people seem to use to justify adele now. And the reason is nothing to do with the festival being able to afford them or not. You'd have to be utterly crackers to think that was the reason they never headlined.

A quick note to the vinyl enthusiasts on here. (We were talking vinyl earlier in this thread)

Rakuten are doing 15% off everything today and tomorrow. This means 15% off everything in the All Your Music store on there.  (use the code MARCH15 at the checkout).

Just bought TLSP's Age of the Understatement and Blur's 13 for about 25 quid combined.

8 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

A quick note to the vinyl enthusiasts on here. (We were talking vinyl earlier in this thread)

Rakuten are doing 15% off everything today and tomorrow. This means 15% off everything in the All Your Music store on there.  (use the code MARCH15 at the checkout).

Just bought TLSP's Age of the Understatement and Blur's 13 for about 25 quid combined.

Cheers Hugh, nicely timed with pay day being tomorrow :)