Other ways to get in

jamafa

A really cushty job is erecting the tents at WV. My daughters have done it for the last three years. 3 weeks before the festival putting the tents up. Usually finished the w/e before the festival starts. No work during festival then a few days from Tues taking them down. Wages, three meals a day and of course festival ticket. (EPO)

Wow that's a really good idea. Any idea how to get involved in that, or should I just try contacting worthy view directly?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tried and failed to get tickets yesterday as my wife and I were wanting to take the kids. My daughter said she was glad as she didn't want to lose her 100% attendance at school (their headmaster is pretty darn strict about term time holidays so obviously done the trick on my daughter). So having litter picked in 05, 10,11 & 13 I am thinking about going back to it for 2016 after a couple years off for various reasons. I always chose morning shifts 6am to noon as meant that I could see bands in the afternoon- yes it curtailed my late nights/early mornings but I didn't mind that too much. I may this time try for a different role i.e. not the bending down picking up litter all the time- not sure what that will be (I know you can work on tractor crews, trader information, recycling centre etc.).

I enjoy doing it- have made some friends over the years doing it. Camping in Tom's field is good (if a bit of a trek up a hill at the end of the day)- good showers and food and a good way to do your bit for the festival and save some money providing you complete your shifts

Hi Dondo, thank you for your reply. Did you just email the address listed on the glastonbury website to get litter picking work, i.e fiona@glastonburyfestivals.co.uk?

A really cushty job is erecting the tents at WV. My daughters have done it for the last three years. 3 weeks before the festival putting the tents up. Usually finished the w/e before the festival starts. No work during festival then a few days from Tues taking them down. Wages, three meals a day and of course festival ticket. (EPO)

Is that directly with GFL or with some of the subcontractors like Podpads?

Hi Dondo, thank you for your reply. Did you just email the address listed on the glastonbury website to get litter picking work, i.e fiona@glastonburyfestivals.co.uk?

Hi jamafa- yes I did.  First dibs is given to those that have worked there before and then they open it up sometime in the new year to newcomers.

Fiona is very good and helpful- I seem to recall she only works part time so don't worry if you don't hear back immediately- also I would imagine that she has had a fair few enquiries from people following Sunday's sale

There's also the lockups, although those tend to be CND groups etc, but if anyone has contacts in any of these groups I'd ask around.

You don't get w£t if it r@1ns either.

Hi jamafa- yes I did. First dibs is given to those that have worked there before and then they open it up sometime in the new year to newcomers.

Fiona is very good and helpful- I seem to recall she only works part time so don't worry if you don't hear back immediately- also I would imagine that she has had a fair few enquiries from people following Sunday's sale

I spotted on the website that she's not taking new enquiries until January 2016, so when everyone else is counting down the new year, I'll have my finger over the send button on my email. Thanks dondo!

Good idea, I'll do some research into this and see what I can find out.

lockups are run by volunteers from a number of peace and environment groups from across the UK

Greater Manchester CND is one of them  http://www.uk.peacelink.org/gmd/indices/index_9.html

Problem is I would imagine they have more applicants than places and I expect they can be very selective.

For local CND Groups the way I would do it is by volunteering in one of their shops which gets you the toe in the door.

I know many of these local CND Groups who volunteer for the WBC and its made up of people who firmly believe in the CND cause.

In 2014 I got a place with shelter very easily - didn't use it in the end so someone else would have taken it when it went back in the pot. They ask for a full £300 deposit upfront but you could cancel after the resale date so ended up getting lucky and doing that.

I also tried water aid who had a complete arse of an application form. Ended up having to write a poem - I kid you not - and got nowhere.

I tried emailing for litter picking and they direct you to a form to fill in. Most of those place are taken by regulars though, fair enough.

Hi jamafa- yes I did.  First dibs is given to those that have worked there before and then they open it up sometime in the new year to newcomers.

Thank you, I've emailed Fiona now, good tip!

Thank you, I've emailed Fiona now, good tip!

Although anyone considering this see Fiona's auto response:

I'm only in the office occasionally now till the new year so unless your email is urgent I won't reply. 

If you were part of the Recycling Team this year I'll be in touch in January to invite you back - unless you came via one of our charities, in which case please contact them. 

If you're new and wish to join us then please contact me again in January preferably with a recommendation from one of my existing crew members.  In fact it would be better if they emailed me your details themselves. 

If you don't have a recomendee then please apply anyway in January and I'll let you know if I have any places

I'm only in the office occasionally now till the new year so unless your email is urgent I won't reply. 

If you were part of the Recycling Team this year I'll be in touch in January to invite you back - unless you came via one of our charities, in which case please contact them. 

If you're new and wish to join us then please contact me again in January preferably with a recommendation from one of my existing crew members.  In fact it would be better if they emailed me your details themselves. 

If you don't have a recomendee then please apply anyway in January and I'll let you know if I have any places

Strange- I didn't get that out of office when I e-mailed Monday.  Fingers crossed as a previous litter picker I should be OK

Twix it?

I was wondering if it's too early to bring up the Twix story.  Apparently not.

Powered paragliding - its been done a few times - spotted one this year but he/she missed their landing spot so not sure if they did land as they vanished into heavy trees - they came from the West and headed for Sacred Place but they kept on going so have no clue if they made it or not - have no clue what they do with their gear - far easier just to be a volunteer.

Came in over Park during Mavis Staples.  Watched it disappear into the distance, always wondered whether any kind of successful landing was made.

I think doing the bin painting would be brilliant, unfortunately there's no way I could take 3 weeks off work (2 before, and the festival) to do it.  I don't know if the same person runs it who I emailed but I can't remember her name now, which is helpful I know!  Someone here will know though...

I think doing the bin painting would be brilliant, unfortunately there's no way I could take 3 weeks off work (2 before, and the festival) to do it.  I don't know if the same person runs it who I emailed but I can't remember her name now, which is helpful I know!  Someone here will know though...

does Holly ring a bell ?

this is claimed to be Dan Glastonbury

I dont know him but there is lots of shots of bins at that link.

so a post to him may provide a direct link. good luck
Edited by glasto-worker

does Holly ring a bell ?

this is claimed to be Dan Glastonbury

https://twitter.com/fuckthatscool/media

I dont know him but there is lots of shots of bins at that link.

so a post to him may provide a direct link. good luck

Dan paints the bins for Glastonbury and paints the for charity, he always posts on here to get sponsorship for personalised bins

Tweet him for the email for bin painting , although you do need a chunk of time off work

a mate of mine works for this lady and he loves it ..

2 of my mates paid £300 last year. They got a ticket to get in but no band. No idea how it all worked as I was in the queue waiting to go in when they sorted it. There are definitely ways to get in though if you do not succeed in getting a ticket. Depends how much you want to go really.