New Order

Zoo Music Girl

I've seen them a couple of times over the years, and I've only ever been greatly impressed once, and that was at TITP few years back, they headlined the tent on after The Cribs, it was a great night 

I liked their new record, I wouldn't have any complaints against watching them, but also wouldn't have any complaints against going elsewhere 

19 hours ago, Wooderson said:

Latest record is killer. I'll toddle along in June.

18 hours ago, Wooderson said:

For an überfan like you maybe. I take or leave 80% of it.

Their latest is perhaps better than some of their more recent, but it's still pretty dreadful.

As a not uberfan, it's stuff like the latest I leave.

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

Their latest is perhaps better than some of their more recent, but it's still pretty dreadful.

I thought it was one of last years most pleasant surprises. Fab album.

34 minutes ago, Woffy said:

New Order always struck me as one of those bands where - if you were a massive fan - you felt compelled to go to great lengths to defend and 'explain' them to non / casual fans.

Nobody is more guilty of this than Radiohead fans. Bores me to tears reading super Radiohead fans defend any criticism that is aimed their way.

22 minutes ago, Alan_C said:

Nobody is more guilty of this than Radiohead fans. Bores me to tears reading super Radiohead fans defend any criticism that is aimed their way.

Nonsense!!!

In “Karma Police”, Radiohead’s zany ode to the disenfranchised, Thom Yorke sings: ‘I’ve given it all I can/ But we’re still on the payroll.’

Without wanting to indulge in a fanciful over-arching reading, this is quite a brilliant encapsulation of what the band’s primary theme, its force motrice, has been since its inception: that of the inexorable human condition of being part of a society that refuses to acknowledge your individuality yet doesn’t offer you a way out. A prisoner’s dilemma for our emotionally-bankrupt age.

It is debatable how much of Radiohead’s rise to global stardom in the mid-90s owed to the transfer of loyalty that ensued from the disappearance from the front lines of that other great band with an equal claim to the alienation niche, Nirvana. It is certainly the case that Radiohead’s initial efforts were heavily embued with the Seattle-sound of Generation X angst. Yet their own brand of beneath-the-skin empathy is unmistakably theirs and always will be.

The most surprising thing to have happened to Radiohead is the fact they have become a byword for brave musical experimentation. It could have all gone so very wrong – yet it didn’t. They patently hold most of what passes in the music industry for common wisdom in utter disdain. For instance, when “Creep” their mega hit of 1992 launched them as a mainstream success, everyone expected them to do the wise thing: More of the same, please!

Instead, they released “The Bends”, a sinewy collection of solid, noisy, relentless sketches to the dismayed admiration of critics and fans alike. Indeed, the whimsical bathetic wailings of “Amnesiac”, their fifth album (2001), would’ve been considered commercially suicidal by almost any other band in the world but they seemed to relish a taste for the perpetual wrong footing of their audiences.

The nearest cultural outfit one can think of to their brand of re-invention-lite is not another band but actually a different sort of artist altogether: Mr Ricky Gervais of ‘The Office’ and ‘Extras’ fame. If you think this is a laboured analogy, bear with me: Gervais’ sure-footed evolution from masterful cringe-merchant to the uber spokesman for good-hearted cynicism seems, with hindsight, like an obvious strategic repositioning, yet it was a gigantic risk at the time and had, at its heart, a careful sense that creative stagnation, even at the very top is the kiss of death for any artist worth their salt. Likewise, Radiohead have simply refused to play the game they were so comfortably winning. A very commendable position – and one that has, fortunately for them and for us, paid off handsomely in the shape of sustained commercial and critical stature.

At a recent gig in Manchester in June, there was a moment when “Karma Police” was reaching its apotheosis and the crowd, lathered in quasi-religious togetherness, heaved side to side to the lyrics. For a minute there, I lost myself*, I lost myself. After twenty years on the road (and the couch?), the point was still the same: losing yourself maybe the best thing that can happen to you. Radiohead keep striving to lose “Radiohead” only to come up for air, Zelig-like, transformed into something stranger, hazier and as hard to corner as ever. We protest of course, but we do so with a beaming smile.

2 hours ago, eFestivals said:

I like the new album, it is kind of refreshing. Some parts don't work (The Iggy tune and Ellie Jackson kind of ruins Plastic a little) and there are some plodders as per the previous 2 albums . Not one of the tunes on there would imo rank in their 20 greatest tunes though.

It is a far better album than the previous 2 guitar plodders though and it is Barneys best work since the 2nd Electronic album.

17 minutes ago, Woffy said:

New Order always struck me as one of those bands where - if you were a massive fan - you felt compelled to go to great lengths to defend and 'explain' them to non / casual fan.

You can not defend the indefensible and New Order have the ability to be indefensible. I am not sure how you can explain them, they do not fit any set criteria. Their story from Joy Division to the present day is like no other bands, they are truly a one off.

34 minutes ago, Mezhyp1 said:

As eastynh so perfectly displays 

I don't defend them, why would I defend them? I could not care less whether anyone else likes them. When they are good, I will say they are good, when they are shit I will say they are shit.

• 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

How likely are they for Glastonbury?

That is what puts me off this.

some guy claimed to be in the know that both LCD Soundsystem and New Order would be headlining Other at Glastonbury, but whether he was actually in the know or just had a guess based on some of the biggest rumours is anybody's guess. they seem like a fairly obvious contender, though. be surprised if they weren't there

4 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

some guy claimed to be in the know that both LCD Soundsystem and New Order would be headlining Other at Glastonbury, but whether he was actually in the know or just had a guess based on some of the biggest rumours is anybody's guess. they seem like a fairly obvious contender, though. be surprised if they weren't there

Cheers. I probably can't afford Castlefield as well. 

9 hours ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

How likely are they for Glastonbury?

That is what puts me off this.

I would say they are pretty much nailed on for Glasto now.

There is a bit of a dilemma here for me now in regards to this Castlefield gig. I have a ticket for the Roses in Dublin the same day. Will be seeing The Roses at The Etihad and probably New Order at Glasto.