2017 festival

kaosmark2

3 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Reading was not the festival for them at that time. I'm not talking about Reading. Yeah, of course Manson subbed Reading before Download, because Download (nor any festival of its kind) existed at that time. 

You mean the Metallica who were going through the most uncertain period of their career after releasing Load and Reload (which were received with VERY mixed reaction) and were absolutely on the verge of calling it day in the early 00s in the period up to and including St. Anger? Bizkit didn't bother coming over here on the Significant Other cycle, and by the time Chocolate Starfish came out and blew up (and it did absolutely blow up) people were rabid to see them. It is not a stretch at all to say that they were the biggest band in the world at a point. They were scheduled to headline the first ever Download in 2003 but cancelled when Wes left the band. 

On the subject of KoRn at that time, they were an arena band. They were absolutely massive too around the time Issues came out. Look at the Woodstock 99 footage and listen to that crowd reaction. Absolutely crazy stuff. Incidentally, this current tour is the first time KoRn have done arenas over here since Untouchables, which is cool to see. 

I think if Manson could have headlined late 90s he would still have headlined Download by 2003, LP still do and they haven't done anything in years worth while but are globally massive still.

Regardless of future being uncertain doesn't change the status of the band. I will agree with you upon seeing that LB were due to headline Download in 03 instead of Audioslave so I can't deny that but that still doesn't make then the biggest band in the world. Biggest in the world means you can globally top anything and I very much doubt they could.  You say they were arena bands but they both did London, Manchester and Scotland, it's a few arena dates, they didn't exactly do a big tour.

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

38 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

This discussion has probably gone as far as it can what with everyone else in agreement despite Gazza rewriting history and all that.

Are people thinking Eminem or another right now then?

I still think it'll be one or two new headliners as always, but to me it looks like Bastille and Major Lazer are playing the same day (Reading Sat, Leeds Sun) and that'd be more suitable on Eminem day, headlining NME and subbing respectively.

Got doubts about Royal Blood now considering they still seem to be holed up in the studio by the looks of Ben Thatcher's Twitter. Would make a bit more sense for them to do a bit like Foals did and release the album towards the end of 2017 and then headline Reading after an arena tour and shiz. alt-J seem to be setting up a load of European festivals August-September so they look good for it.

i was thinking co-headliners of Alt-J + another but have just noticed that Eminem has surprisingly been upgraded to a TBC, so i guess Major Lazer subbing Eminem vs Bastille in the NME is almost definitely going to happen

would Alt-J return to sub again so soon? they seem a bit lost amongst all this considering they should definitely be on their way up to headliners by now

1 minute ago, FloorFiller said:

i was thinking co-headliners of Alt-J + another but have just noticed that Eminem has surprisingly been upgraded to a TBC, so i guess Major Lazer subbing Eminem vs Bastille in the NME is almost definitely going to happen

would Alt-J return to sub again so soon? they seem a bit lost amongst all this considering they should definitely be on their way up to headliners by now

Oh right. That managed to happen a minute after I posted. :lol:

Yeah maybe they could sub - Bestival would be a good shout too but fuck knows what they're planning with all the changes. Bit bemused that they've actually gone and got Eminem tho man.

26 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

I think if Manson could have headlined late 90s he would still have headlined Download by 2003, LP still do and they haven't done anything in years worth while but are globally massive still.

Regardless of future being uncertain doesn't change the status of the band. I will agree with you upon seeing that LB were due to headline Download in 03 instead of Audioslave so I can't deny that but that still doesn't make then the biggest band in the world. Biggest in the world means you can globally top anything and I very much doubt they could.  You say they were arena bands but they both did London, Manchester and Scotland, it's a few arena dates, they didn't exactly do a big tour.

Didn't Linkin Park only play Manchester and the O2 on their last tour? Voided your own totally irrelevant point there. 

The Offspring and Zebrahead announced for Highfield in Germany a week or two before R+L.

The Offspring played it last year too and obviously never ended up at R+L and just did their own UK shows instead. However it seems like they're not a headliner there anymore so maybe they would headline the Lock Up if they're willing to bob down lineups? Would expect them to do their own shows or Rebellion or some other event.

Just now, dentalplan said:

The Offspring and Zebrahead announced for Highfield in Germany a week or two before R+L.

The Offspring played it last year too and obviously never ended up at R+L and just did their own UK shows instead. However it seems like they're not a headliner there anymore so maybe they would headline the Lock Up if they're willing to bob down lineups? Would expect them to do their own shows or Rebellion or some other event.

The Offspring as an NME headliner would be awesome. I reckon they're still big / relevant enough. Similar to the Bizkit booking the other year. 

Just now, dentalplan said:

Oh right. That managed to happen a minute after I posted. :lol:

Yeah maybe they could sub - Bestival would be a good shout too but fuck knows what they're planning with all the changes. Bit bemused that they've actually gone and got Eminem tho man.

looks to me like they're making a push for it to go back to the guaranteed sell out days - regardless of the undercard, those three headliners are gonna do very well

can't see both Alt-J and The xx headlining Bestival so maybe somebody else has got The xx (Latitude) and Alt-J will do a headline Bestival/headline Other at Glastonbury thing next year

3 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

The Offspring as an NME headliner would be awesome. I reckon they're still big / relevant enough. Similar to the Bizkit booking the other year. 

NME headliner? Nil chance hombre. It'd either be mid-Main or, as said, a quite iconic Lock Up headliner.

edit: tho I admittedly never would've predicted Limp Bizkit headlining NME. The Offspring were never the biggest band in the world tho. :P

Edited by dentalplan

I don't see The Offspring headlining the NME stage at all. I don't see them as at all relevant anymore either. I think at R/L in it's current format and the sort of people that generally attend, headlining The Lockup is about right for them. But I think it's dependent on what kind of headliners there are that weekend. If Green Day or blink were headlining than you could get away with The Offspring headlining NME on another night, or playing in a reasonable slot on Main, similar to how Limp Bizkit headlining NME on Metallica weekend wasn't that weird considering the amount of metalheads there that weekend.

1 hour ago, Andre91 said:

Didn't Linkin Park only play Manchester and the O2 on their last tour? Voided your own totally irrelevant point there. 

You are trying I'll give you that but the difference here is, LP have been headlining festivals worldwide since 2003 and doing their own extensive tours, their last tour was also The 02 and not Wembley so while it was London, it was nowhere near the same amount sold. You can however say The 02 wasn't around, but Wembley was to do more dates. Don't forget that LP had already headlined Download that year too and their previous tour was more extensive and 3 dates at the 02. There is your totally relevant point.

15 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

You are trying I'll give you that but the difference here is, LP have been headlining festivals worldwide since 2003 and doing their own extensive tours, their last tour was also The 02 and not Wembley so while it was London, it was nowhere near the same amount sold. You can however say The 02 wasn't around, but Wembley was to do more dates. Don't forget that LP had already headlined Download that year too and their previous tour was more extensive and 3 dates at the 02. There is your totally relevant point.

From 2003. So Bizkit were bigger than them in 00/01. That's the only point I'm making. I'm not talking about after that. 

2 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Pretty sure that The Offspring won't play. Haven't played R&L the last few times they've been around in Europe around the same time and I don't see it changing now. Reckon they either want a bigger pay check or higher slot than R&L are willing to offer them. Reckon they'd demand 3rd main/NME headline at the lowest which I doubt R&L is going to offer.

Edited by justanothername

23 hours ago, foolee said:

How would this work though as Pendulum would have to be a sub and Knife Party are too big to do anything less than headlining the NME and obviously they aren't going to sub main stage and then run over to play the Knife Party set.

Major lazer subbed radio 1 at t then diplo headlined tuts on the same night.  It's possible 

Also wasn't their miami set a mix of pendulum live and Knife Party?

Edited by Muppetmark

35 minutes ago, foolee said:

Not sure if it has been mentioned on here but Eminem and Kasabian are both now TBC. Big set of headliners and none bumped up which is a bit of a shock.

I don't think it had but yes it's a big set. One last sub I expect to complete the top two.

3 hours ago, Andre91 said:

From 2003. So Bizkit were bigger than them in 00/01. That's the only point I'm making. I'm not talking about after that. 

Bizkit were not bigger than Metallica in 2000 though, Metallica were touring stadiums over the US around then whereas LB were doing arenas. I know what point you are making but there just isn't sufficient proof to back it up. If there was I'd agree with you and say you're correct. 

2 hours ago, thewayiam said:

Bizkit were not bigger than Metallica in 2000 though, Metallica were touring stadiums over the US around then whereas LB were doing arenas. I know what point you are making but there just isn't sufficient proof to back it up. If there was I'd agree with you and say you're correct. 

In the two years after Rollin' was released, Metallica played three shows and didn't release any new music. The fact that a huge metal scene that didn't include Metallica was thriving in the mainstream says it all really.  It's obvious to anyone that nobody is saying they played the biggest venues in the world the most times but it's legit sad if you think that's all there is to music.

Edited by dentalplan

5 hours ago, justanothername said:

Pretty sure that The Offspring won't play. Haven't played R&L the last few times they've been around in Europe around the same time and I don't see it changing now. Reckon they either want a bigger pay check or higher slot than R&L are willing to offer them. Reckon they'd demand 3rd main/NME headline at the lowest which I doubt R&L is going to offer.

Aye but thing I was thinking was them not headlining that festival they've been announced for despite headlining it last year might indicate they're willing to take lower slots than last year. Not really expecting them either as they can still sell well enough at their own shows (although they do them every year so that demand might dwindle) or they could do Rebellion or something. 

28 minutes ago, Will-2609 said:

Just realised that not long ago we were discussing how Kasabian could easily be the biggest headliner of an R&L trio and it wouldn't be that weak, and now it turns out they're the weakest of the trio. Shows how strong a set it is.

I guess. They're probably about on a par with Muse nowadays. I imagine they'll go down a bit better when announced.

14 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I guess. They're probably about on a par with Muse nowadays. I imagine they'll go down a bit better when announced.

Yeah I would expect Kasabian will go down better with the core demographic but Muse will pull in more sales from people who weren't already planning on going, so depends on how you look at it I guess.