2017 festival

kaosmark2

26 minutes ago, VCK said:

The Manics are playing a festival in August next year, so if R&L really wanted them, they're available.

By all rights they are still big enough to sub the festival, but they'd probably be something like 4th down on Main given the other festival slots they've played in recent years, and that they wouldn't be "cool with da kidz." Mind you, neither would the Roses according to some on here.

Manics would stick out like a sore thumb at Reading/Leeds these days so i can't imagine them being booked

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, VCK said:

The Manics are playing a festival in August next year, so if R&L really wanted them, they're available.

By all rights they are still big enough to sub the festival, but they'd probably be something like 4th down on Main given the other festival slots they've played in recent years, and that they wouldn't be "cool with da kidz." Mind you, neither would the Roses according to some on here.

V Fest

1 minute ago, FloorFiller said:

i thought it was an odd suggestion too but they last played in 2011 and were supposed to play in 2014 before cancelling - guess there's a pocket of older V Fest attendees still pining for the old days

V Fest has changed a lot since 2011, 2014 seems a bit odd though, strange that Manics would take a relatively low slot for them somewhere live V Festival rather than do their own shows or play a festival that better suits them.

This year is the only year they would've been significantly out of place. They've always booked plenty of that Britpop kinda stuff before even when they moved more towards mainstream pop. It's not really a barmy suggestion but it has been given too much discussion already. :P

Anyway, there's no following for Manics at all anymore at R+L. They definitely wouldn't be a sub - they sub at places like OnBlackheath now. 

Roses are completely different as they seem to have an audience with people interested in R+L still, judging by the reaction from that thing with the lemons last week.

12 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

Which must mean a UK Fest will have Pendulum live. Either subbing Reading or Creamfields have got them for their 20th Anniversary imo.

I'll be pissed if R&L gave Disclosure and Fall Out Boy co-headline slots but make Pendulum sub. 

Considering their only announced date is in June it'd be lovely to have them an Other Stage headline slot against Sheeran.

Edited by JSmurphy

34 minutes ago, JSmurphy said:

I'll be pissed if R&L gave Disclosure and Fall Out Boy co-headline slots but make Pendulum sub. 

Considering their only announced date is in June it'd be lovely to have them an Other Stage headline slot against Sheeran.

I did consider this tbh, I don't think this it's Reading that likely have them though. 

Edited by thewayiam

9 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

I did consider this tbh, I do think this it's Reading that likely have them though. 

It's hard to tell with that Nova date being their only announced show. The only reason I'm less inclined to think they'll play R&L, is that I just don't see them subbing. A Pendulum & Major Lazer co-headline seems like easy sales to me, so the fact Major Lazer aren't co-headlining leads me to believe they R&L have gone for three outright headliners. And then a top:

Muse / Thirty Seconds to Mars
Kasabian / Pendulum 
Eminem / Major Lazer

Surely that's way too strong to happen? 

6 minutes ago, JSmurphy said:

It's hard to tell with that Nova date being their only announced show. The only reason I'm less inclined to think they'll play R&L, is that I just don't see them subbing. A Pendulum & Major Lazer co-headline seems like easy sales to me, so the fact Major Lazer aren't co-headlining leads me to believe they R&L have gone for three outright headliners. And then a top:

Kasabian / Pendulum 
Eminem / Major Lazer

By the way it meant to say I don't think Reading have rather than do!

Yes it is, considering at least one of the likely 3rd down in this case could play sub no bother. I have a feeling it's going to be Creamfields but I can't see them over just for Nova Rock. I defo wouldn't  even pissed if I had a ticket to it though, only about 8 bands I'd see but a few standouts.

9 minutes ago, JSmurphy said:

Kasabian / Pendulum 
Eminem / Major Lazer

Maybe with Bestival not doing so well and having to move, IOW on it's last legs, T gone, no competition with Download anymore and Glastonbury the only exception that no festival can really compete with, Reading wants to wipe the floor with IOW and completed kill off all over festivals it competes with off, therefore becoming the only major festival (especially when Glasto take a year off). It would leave them in a good positive if IOW, Bestival, Glastonbury and T are not on next year. Only competition it would have then is the up and coming festivals so it would start making smaller bands take exclusivity contracts to Reading which I believe it already does to an extent.

3 minutes ago, foolee said:

Maybe with Bestival not doing so well and having to move, IOW on it's last legs, T gone, no competition with Download anymore and Glastonbury the only exception that no festival can really compete with, Reading wants to wipe the floor with IOW and completed kill off all over festivals it competes with off, therefore becoming the only major festival (especially when Glasto take a year off). It would leave them in a good positive if IOW, Bestival, Glastonbury and T are not on next year. Only competition it would have then is the up and coming festivals so it would start making smaller bands take exclusivity contracts to Reading which I believe it already does to an extent.

Unless Reading put their day ticket prices up against though they won't be able to afford to, especially as Leeds doesn't sell out these days. If the prices were higher I could see them taking a sub spot as apposed to demanding headline on the basis they wanted to playing Glasto. If really hope if they are at the latter here though that it's a sub, although different acts, they will share a big crowd with Sheeran with huge younger fan bases. A sub to Foo's would be lovely, I can't see where else unless they are an Exclusive to BST.

After Rob Swire's comments about their last Glasto performance, I really can't see them wanting to rush back there!

I'd say R&L is a very likely choice for them and I don't think there would anything wrong with them accepting a sub slot.

The money can't be that much of an issue can it? Pendulum subbing Muse would be amazing and surely Muse wouldn't demand that much money now they are their last legs of the Drones album? 

5 minutes ago, Cammers said:

After Rob Swire's comments about their last Glasto performance, I really can't see them wanting to rush back there!

I'd say R&L is a very likely choice for them and I don't think there would anything wrong with them accepting a sub slot.

The money can't be that much of an issue can it? Pendulum subbing Muse would be amazing and surely Muse wouldn't demand that much money now they are their last legs of the Drones album? 

You would have said Pendulum for anywhere at one point would be out, but if no Glasto then Creamfields exclusive.