Headliners 2016

thewayiam

Was at the O2 last night for Muse, my 5th time seeing Matt and co!

You can give it to them. A sublime live act!!

They really do seem to be enjoying touring Drones, have obviously written an album that they play for their own entertainement and the crowd feeds off of that. 

Opening with the choral instalment Drones and finishing the regular part of the set with The Globalist suggest that they feel confident with the perhaps more niche pieces of Drones.

Though with no 360 degree stage (which was really quite stunning) at the Pyramid, come June, they're ready to smash it once again.

you can say as many things about Muse as you like but at the end of the day they'll put on a breathtaking show of music.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Replies 15.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Will-2609 said:

Aye I'm going on Friday but not really that excited in all honesty. Glad I'm going as it makes seeing LCD on the Friday at Glasto an easier decision. Kind of hoping the gig isn't that enjoyable to make the decision even easier haha.

We're going Friday too and can't bloody wait. I'll still watch them at Glastonbury as well :)

Pleased with the support to as saw them last year at Leeds festival and think perfect warm up...

I'm really excited for Friday :)

5 hours ago, Finding leto14 said:

Muse broke the O2 record aswell for capacity crowd

5 hours ago, russycarps said:

oh right, fair dos. Didnt realise they were in their "copy u2" phase.

4 hours ago, Will-2609 said:

Well it's not as though Muse are going around claiming they got the biggest crowd; it was tweeted by the O2 Arena. Who is it who is copping out here?

only time I've seen a band 'going around claiming' an attendance record for a venue was when U2 did Giants Stadium in 2009 (the main music stadium venue in the NYC area, across the river from Manhattan) just before it was about to face the 'wrecking ball', on the first part of the Claw tour, mentioning to Springsteen (who was in the crowd) that they had just broken the Pope's record and that he hadn't come close, even tho he'd (Bruce) play 24 shows there before the tear down. funnily enough, Muse were support on that gig

5 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

It’ll be interesting to see how Drone and the lads manage without all their inflatable Matt Bellamys.

they'd be better without them. for all the hack that Muse get on here - some of it quite deserved - put them up against any other band on the bill that we have with just the basics in say, the Bimble Inn, and tell them what they could/could not play and you'd be hard-pressed to find a better live act (minus some average tunes post 2004)

Edited by tevaburger

Have you seen the Muse setlists since beginning the tour? Bloody nora, they're poor.

OK, it would be unreasonable to expect them not to concentrate on Drones, of course. But peddling the same back catalogue old songs over and over and over again...

Have they really just become a 'new record and greatest hits/singles that people recognise' band? Starlight, SMBH, KOC, Madness, Hysteria...I could go on.

ANYONE who has previously liked Muse has seen all those older songs SOOO many times. And I'm genuinely a bit sad about that as they were, before becoming a Muse Karaoke band, pretty great in the Absolution and before days. And I'd actually love to have seen them headline the Pyramid, in one of those older incarnations. But now it's just all about turning the theatricals up to eleventy-stupid, without backing it up with decent material, and just rehashing riffs for new songs that weren't that great in the original slightly older songs! Are you listening, Uprising and Psycho?!

Ben

What my Muse set would be:

(Drones)

New Born

Psycho

Bliss

Reapers

Space Dementia

(Intro)

Apocalypse Please

Super Massive Black Hole

Assassin

Dead Star

Citizens Erased

Resistance

MK Ultra

Hysteria

Invincible

Feeling Good

Plug In Baby

Unnatural Selection

Stockholm Syndrome

The Globalist

Uprising

Take A Bow

Supremacy

Knights of Cydonia

Edited by willutalk

That's going to take some doing.  Kasabian really pulled it off with that one that sounds like a 70s glam rock riff with meaningless rhyme shouted over the top.  I understand from the reviews he ran a greater distance than any other headliner previously.

I expect Matthew Bartholomew and the boys from The muse will have been training hard in expectation of a gruelling 105 minutes of playing some songs and occasionally talking.

22 hours ago, bennyhana22 said:

Have you seen the Muse setlists since beginning the tour? Bloody nora, they're poor.

OK, it would be unreasonable to expect them not to concentrate on Drones, of course. But peddling the same back catalogue old songs over and over and over again...

Have they really just become a 'new record and greatest hits/singles that people recognise' band? Starlight, SMBH, KOC, Madness, Hysteria...I could go on.

ANYONE who has previously liked Muse has seen all those older songs SOOO many times. And I'm genuinely a bit sad about that as they were, before becoming a Muse Karaoke band, pretty great in the Absolution and before days. And I'd actually love to have seen them headline the Pyramid, in one of those older incarnations. But now it's just all about turning the theatricals up to eleventy-stupid, without backing it up with decent material, and just rehashing riffs for new songs that weren't that great in the original slightly older songs! Are you listening, Uprising and Psycho?!

Ben

Okay, meant to answer this the other day but you know what Muse fans do want to hear the same old songs with a few new ones & rarities added in. Current tour they are not always including Plug in baby and there is a lot of upset about that, so I think Muse are  just listening to their fans...

Personally I wish Starlight would just do one and glad to see Feeling good featuring less on the setlists, but people enjoy them..

I seem to be in the minority who likes the 2nd Law and Drones as the songs the do live are bloody fantastic IMO

Again with the theatrics, i think that adds to Muse's appeal as it's interesting to watch too. I didn't think they could top the last tour with their massive bloody robot but looking at the stills on the stage setup for this tour it looks amazing and I'm very much looking forward to gig on Friday :D

I know Muse don't get a lot of love here but outside they are still filling stadiums and popular, so why change something that works? they are not for everyone but then what band/artist is??

2 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

give them out with the wristbands on entry maybe ?

Could be easily done and the locals who come on the Sunday would make it look amazing on the Sunday night. I was lucky to have one on their last tour and it was a fantastic spectacle 

1 minute ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

They'd fucking better not!!! That's nearly as bad as finding a free album in your iTunes account. 

its unlikely I guess but not impossible , or they could just put them in the tote bags on entry , but not sure how this would go down in the love the farm bit when they are littered all over the site

On 04/04/2016 at 9:31 PM, bennyhana22 said:

Ben

I dread to hear these new songs. That playlist you did for me of the good stuff was utterly excruciating. I listened to it all, since you clearly out in a lot of effort picking out and describing the songs, bit fuck me, I did not enjoy it.

Maybe I'd actually enjoy these setlists more, but I guess we'll never know!