The Who

budvar

On the the Who forum, it reads that not only the Paris June 28th show would be cancelled, but also that the Paris June 29th show will be moved to the 30th, and then the Amsterdam show for July 1st will be moved to the 2nd...

That's a lot of changes...

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really can't understand Glastonbury condoning the actions of a cancellation of a gig and the moving of another to suit their festival if this is true. Really bad form if it is

Glastonbury don't control The Who's gig calendar. Only The Who can be responsible for cancelling the show, if that's what happens.

Also, it's quite possible that the approach was made to Glasto by The Who, and not the other way around. But even if it was the other way around, that doesn't mean that Glasto knew The Who had a show booked in already, or even that they've been told a show will have to be cancelled.

Glastonbury don't control The Who's gig calendar. Only The Who can be responsible for cancelling the show, if that's what happens.

Also, it's quite possible that the approach was made to Glasto by The Who, and not the other way around. But even if it was the other way around, that doesn't mean that Glasto knew The Who had a show booked in already, or even that they've been told a show will have to be cancelled.

I get all that of course but Glastonbury had to be aware of the Who's schedule once talks started and it would seem if they play they have no problems with the Who fucking over thousands of their fans. I simply find it very strange

Even disregarding the whole is it right or wrong argument, ( I personally think it's wrong and a terrible way to treat their fans who have bought tickets) , it's a very boring booking isn't it.

Really hoping it isn't true but it does seem like it from what everyone is saying.

Even if it is a last minute booking there had to be someone else more deserving of the opportunity.

Second, surely?

First, surely?

I mean, Paul's image as the lame-dad-cute-romantic Beatle maybe harmed him, in contrast to the cool-experimental-rage Lennon image, but comparing them as songwriters is pretty close, and I think Paul edges it. His melodic sense is really one of a kind.

George is way behind both of them, with all due respect. His top songs were as good as anything John&Paul wrote, but he could never compete with their quantities of great songs. This can be heard quite clearly in his solo career, where he needed to fill albums and not just the odd 1-2 songs per album.

I get all that of course but Glastonbury had to be aware of the Who's schedule once talks started and it would seem if they play they have no problems with the Who fucking over thousands of their fans. I simply find it very strange

I'd say it's likely they'd get to know of a conflicting show, but I certainly wouldn't guarantee it.

As you're so convinced that Glastonbury should see it as a bad thing they wouldn't want to get involved in, why wouldn't the agent perhaps think that Glastonbury would think that and so decide to keep it from them?

I once a convo with a senior Glasto booker, where he told me he'd just-about booked a particular band who had just announced shows in the USA for Glasto weekend. The way he told it to me, their agent had just about assured him the booking was a done deal, and he continued to suggest it would definitely happen even when I told him of the shows in the USA.

That band didn't play Glasto that year, so it shows just how much an agent might choose to mislead someone over a band.

Edited by eFestivals

That band didn't play Glasto that year, so it shows just how much an agent might choose to mislead someone over a band.

It's that thing with agents, they sometimes do tend to play one side off against the other, with slightly differing information given to each.

People criticising Glasto & the Eavii for "being happy" with the cancelled gigs have no idea a) if the Who booking really is the case, there's nothing confirmed, and B) how Emily & Michael feel about the whole thing. One of the reasons for a big delay might be that they were outraged when they heard the suggestion and there has subsequently been a load of frenzied negotiations trying to mitigate the problems that fans going to the 'rearranged' gigs would experience.

Let's not condemn people who we know are principled for being "happy" with a situation that we absolutely don't know their opionions of

Growing old is inevitable

Growing up is optional

Says the 52 year old ;)

Oh don't get me wrong, DA, I genuinely believe I am young, I was just trying to be contrary!

If you see an indefatigable mid-40s man dancing like a Christian until stupid o'clock for 5 all nights at GF this year, chances are it'll be this idiot.

Ben

Growing old is inevitable

Growing up is optional

Says the 52 year old ;)

Agreed! i am 53, of course i know the Who :) , was a big fan in the day, but more so through the films Tommy, Quadraphenia ( which i loved) , but i am a bit indifferent to them playing especially if it messes with fans in Paris, i don't think that's right. Having said that i might be tempted by the Who doing Quadrapenia / Tommy ( sorry about the spelling ) , with special guests. I think that could work though doubt it would happen.

What a load of assumptions. We don't know that The Who are playing Glastonbury. So we can't condemn them for re-arranging (or not) gigs that may or may not be happening in Paris.

Just to be clear, I'm not condemning them because of the gig cancellation, I'm condemning them because they are the who.

If I haven't made it obvious, I really do not like the who :P There's something about them that has always rubbed me up the wrong way, even though there are half a dozen of their songs I quite like. They are one of those bands that have garnered a reputation I've never understood is all and for me they are a disinteresting booking. The other announced pyramid headliners hadn't been acts that had set my world on fire, so I was really hoping that there would be one great booking that would be a good close to the festival for me.

I'm currently in the denial phase though. Even though ME said that there were some 'clash' issues to be sorted out in the comments made to people after the V&A event make this all the more likely to be true.