Kanye west confirmed

mike99

I'm struggling to understand the hate. Kanye has one of the best back catalogues around, a few years ago released one of the best albums in recent times (Dark Fantasy), is quite respected and varied artistically but still have an good collection of hits - seems quite a good booking.

Is it because his general douchebag attitude? or hate for hiphop?

The attitude will only make the show more entertaining, and if you hate hiphop... well, that's your problem, but generally Kanye have one of the 'easiest to digest' sounds - full of melodies and not just talking, and interesting instrumentation and not just beats.

I think he will be great.

He has alot of controversy surrounding him and the media love to spin him into a huge villain. Alot of people eat it up. He has an ego but half the bands people want book do too. Kasabian, U2, Oasis, all these guys are ego maniacs but people still love their music.

There is also a huge anti-hip-hop mindset at most festivals around the country.

hes a legend of the genre like Britney spears is a legend for `pop music`.......commercially successful but are you really going to put her next to bananarama?

He is commercially and critically successful though.

I really dont get the hate. He represents a genre that often glorifies violence, homophobia, sexism etc. yet people hate on Kanye for having an ego?

cmon.

Surely you understand that he uses auto tune not to mask an inability to sing, but as an effect in the same way a guitarist might use and effects pedal?

Or do you not respect artistry?

Hats off.

There's been some funny shit posted on here today but that takes the crown.

I hope you were storming the stage as you typed it.

He has alot of controversy surrounding him and the media love to spin him into a huge villain. Alot of people eat it up. He has an ego but half the bands people want book do too. Kasabian, U2, Oasis, all these guys are ego maniacs but people still love their music.

There is also a huge anti-hip-hop mindset at most festivals around the country.

In fairness most of us hate those rotten bands you've listed there.

Hats off.

There's been some funny shit posted on here today but that takes the crown.

I hope you were storming the stage as you typed it.

Whats so funny about what he said?

He is using tools and instruments (albeit modern instruments) to create music. Why does it matter how its made as long as it sounds good?

and he doesn't glorify any of that?......i dont hate the guy ...to do that id have to know him personally and I cant imagine a worse fate......i do think hes laughably shit however and if you kanye nuts want to feel my boring nest building evening with trying to prove me wrong ill be `appy` to oblige you.....`come on!`

If you havnt listened to anything of his then why should i respect your opinion of the man?

If you DO want to give the man a chance and not just read the red top headlines; check out My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy and The College Dropout. If youre a hip-hop fan check out his production discography and youll find hes probably produced ALOT of your favorite songs.

and he doesn't glorify any of that?......i dont hate the guy ...to do that id have to know him personally and I cant imagine a worse fate......i do think hes laughably shit however and if you kanye nuts want to fill my boring nest building evening with trying to prove me wrong ill be `appy` to oblige you.....`come on!` and `by god its been a while!` the angry penguins back!

The violence and homophobia, no. The only thing you could conceivably call him on is the less than stellar attitude to women in some of his songs, but then I'd argue that hip-hop is always scapegoated as a genre while more pernicious music have their latent and internalised misogyny go by largely unchecked.

Edited by Winslow Leach

but hes not on stage as a producer is he now? thats like asking me to respect Stephen king as a harp player because he writes a good book.........

But you said he was laughably shit?

I thought we were talking about him as an artist on the whole.

Regardless, i gave you two albums to listen to. Maybe if you give it a try you will have a more well rounded opinion of a man you seem to hold such a strong view of.

Any of the Kanye connoisseurs fancy cobbling together a quick Deezer playlist of his best, brightest and most likely to appear? Cheers.

I put some of his most setlisted songs in here: https://open.spotify.com/user/newnab/playlist/47sHhcSBZUMTVS2YjUEWAq

Also, if we could only like music by people who weren't bellends, then the only album we'd have had in the past 5 years would be Johnny Marr. A lot of musicians are absolute arseholes, why does Kanye get crucified for it?

I put some of his most setlisted songs in here: https://open.spotify.com/user/newnab/playlist/47sHhcSBZUMTVS2YjUEWAq

Also, if we could only like music by people who weren't bellends, then the only album we'd have had in the past 5 years would be Johnny Marr. A lot of musicians are absolute arseholes, why does Kanye get crucified for it?

Because he belongs to one of the youngest genres in music. Hip-hop is doing what rock did in the 60s and people dont like it. Hes getting the same flack that alot of those "devil worshipers" got back then.