Electronica/Dance

bennyhana22

6 hours ago, TASHMA BWABWE said:

Have you guys heard about Dockyards?

I'm all in favour of new clubbing spaces, but pretty sceptical about an outdoor space like that because of the weather and noise implications.

In my experience, the best clubbing spaces have been those utilised from older buildings and structures. Warehouses, churches, banks, factories, etc. New builds are wonderful and state-of-the-art of course, but I'd argue that they're largely sterile and lack the heart of an adapted space. Just try clubbing in Las Vegas. It's horrible.

7 hours ago, TASHMA BWABWE said:

Have you guys heard about Dockyards?

I'm all in favour of new clubbing spaces, but pretty sceptical about an outdoor space like that because of the weather and noise implications.

if they turn this place to a venue - what are TV companies going to use when they need a gritty warehouse to film in? This space is used in EVERYTHING!

9 hours ago, MaxPower said:

That’s not actually how it works though. The Developers will want to make the maximum revenue from the land that they can. If the planning permission for the change from a club venue to apartments/offices is refused, then the most profitable avenue may be to have it remain as a club.

If you’re interested you can look at the planning application here https://planning.southwark.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=QZSHOZKBINT00 and you can see all the hundreds of people who have objected to the plans.

I'm pretty critical of this for the sole reason that the developers 'kindly' gave Printworks their space on the condition that it was temporary. By bombarding their comments with this kind of thing even with good intentions it puts future projects in a similar fashion to Printworks at risk as the developers would learn their lesson. I just have no optimism for it working honestly, I hope it does and the space continues to develop but everyone knows what London (or the UK in general) is like. Its hardly a nice area currently lets be honest 😂

2 hours ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

In my experience, the best clubbing spaces have been those utilised from older buildings and structures. Warehouses, churches, banks, factories, etc. New builds are wonderful and state-of-the-art of course, but I'd argue that they're largely sterile and lack the heart of an adapted space. Just try clubbing in Las Vegas. It's horrible.

That's probably more to do with it being in the USA than anything!

1 hour ago, David_303 said:

if they turn this place to a venue - what are TV companies going to use when they need a gritty warehouse to film in? This space is used in EVERYTHING!

They'll live, theres plenty of alternatives just Printworks is likely a very easy option given its only used at weekends but not actually abandoned

Based off this also - Printworks (6k) replacement looks to be a 5k venue called The Beams and then theres the Dockyards to replace Drumsheds

https://accessaa.co.uk/broadwick-live-to-operate-new-open-air-london-venue-dockyards/

not much info on the beams yet - https://venuelab.co.uk/venues/the-beams/

"It said The Beams will operate under a hybrid model. It will be used for filming, photo shoots, music, cultural events, brand events, large scale set builds, exhibitions, fashion shows and the arts."

It looks to me that we'll hear more about The Beams (what a stupid name), once Printworks is a bit closer to its impending doom.

Edited by gfa

11 minutes ago, gfa said:

Based off this also - Printworks (6k) replacement looks to be a 5k venue called The Beams and then theres the Dockyards to replace Drumsheds

https://accessaa.co.uk/broadwick-live-to-operate-new-open-air-london-venue-dockyards/

not much info on the beams yet - https://venuelab.co.uk/venues/the-beams/

Thanks for this, that's really interesting. Back when I used to play out a lot - I had a few bookings at a venue at Royal Victoria Docks. I remember is being a bitch to get to. I think there are far better transport links these days. I've not actually made it to the Printworks yet - I must remedy that! 

1 minute ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

After watching his Coachella set Fred Again please… Actually got the yanks to move a bit.

I would love it but would be concerned about placement for a live set. Maybe if silver Hayes has a bigger stage this year? 

Just now, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Yeah he was getting proper emotional through his Coachella set at times.

After a live show he did in London last month, he hosted an after party on a random street corner, with speakers and a Guinness tap out of a white van.

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CbgsKa6Ildi/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

On 4/16/2022 at 11:08 PM, Upside down frowner said:

Sundissential in Leeds - queuing up in the middle of day, thousands of messed up clubbers and people eating pizza hut/going to the cinema in same carpark! 

I miss the evolution days. Wasn’t quite the same vibe as Uropa though even though the venue was a lot bigger

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, David_303 said:

Thanks for this, that's really interesting. Back when I used to play out a lot - I had a few bookings at a venue at Royal Victoria Docks. I remember is being a bitch to get to. I think there are far better transport links these days. I've not actually made it to the Printworks yet - I must remedy that! 

I almost included that part on transport in the post you quoted - its got the DLR line that goes to London city airport. Not exactly mass capacity for after a show though and i guess a few bus routes too

3 hours ago, squirrelarmy said:

I miss the evolution days. Wasn’t quite the same vibe as Uropa though even though the venue was a lot bigger

I went to Insomniacz in Sheffield. In Leeds I used to go to Stinkys on a Sunday for Back2Mine. All day on a Sunday... very odd vibe. Baseline house & messed up heads. Opened at 8am initially til midnight.

54 minutes ago, TASHMA BWABWE said:

I caught some big hitters at this over the weekend.

It was nothing like being at Glasto but it was my first big event for a while and certainly got me in the mood.

image.thumb.png.219c6ba36474db3b5ec8ad38f995421b.png

The total fees bill for that line-up must have been huge, with a lot of massive names in there. Who did you see? Who was good?

Tell me you went to see Ben Sims. Or if you didn't just lie to me.

Ben UFO x Helena Hauff? Stingray x Dettmann? I should coco...

Ben

1 hour ago, prog seller said:

I was wondering how many hard house heads (or ex) would be lurking. I've still got a pair of fluffy boots 🤣

🙋‍♂️ Guilty. The white gloves put into retirement some time ago.

The Monastery in Torquay & Dance Academy in Plymouth were our goto’s. Both venues had previous as a church and theatre… the first developed into flats, and the latter left to crumble sadly, as was a stunning building.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, TASHMA BWABWE said:

It was rescheduled a few times since May 2020, it didn't sell out and a few of the DJs I saw played to very, very thin crowds. I reckon it lost a fuck-tonne of money.

I missed Ben Sims cos I only had a Saturday ticket which was a last-minute freebie off a mate.

Dax J > Stingray & Dettmann / Dr. Rubinstein > Sven Vath / HAAi > Ben UFO & Helena Hauff

They were all great. I didn't really like the vibe at the place (it was a young crowd and I felt very, very old) and the sound wasn't great in some spaces (lots of bleed from the other areas). Killer sets all round though from what I saw.

That run of sets is F A N T A S T I C.

I suspect that you and I will be on the same dancefloors a lot in June...

Ben