Electronica/Dance

bennyhana22

57 minutes ago, Memory Man said:

yeah i've noticed that.... i sometimes wonder whether people on the reviews are being totally honest as i have never once had any problem in about 20 visits there but I guess this overselling malarkey is probably only a recent-ish thing.

I guess if the bouncers turn away 5% of punters for being too drunk or off their heads already then thats 5% more then can sell. Its underhand but probably some way legal....

Its definitely legal, they 'reserve the right' to not allow anyone they like in. They also email ticket holders the day before to remind them of this.

1 hour ago, Mezhyp1 said:

I can see myself in Manchester for NYD 

NEW YEARS DAY – THE CLOSING PARTY

BEN KLOCK
MARCEL DETTMANN
DJ KOZE
KiNK
LIVE
JACKMASTER b2b GERD JANSON
BICEP
GEORGE FITZGERALD
HESSLE AUDIO:
BEN UFO x PEARSON SOUND x PANGAEA
MIDLAND
BODDIKA
MIKE SERVITO
ARTWORK b2b DENIS SULTA
PALMS TRAX
KRYSKO & GREG LORD
BENJAMIN DAMAGE
KORNEL KOVACS
CALL SUPER
WILLOW
LAUREN LO SUNG
TASKER
OR:LA
HACKETT

Bloody nora, Mez. How many rooms? That's quite a line up :o!

Ben

10 hours ago, Mezhyp1 said:

BEN KLOCK
MARCEL DETTMANN
DJ KOZE
KiNK
LIVE
BICEP
GEORGE FITZGERALD
HESSLE AUDIO:
MIDLAND
BODDIKA
MIKE SERVITO
ARTWORK b2b DENIS SULTA
PALMS TRAX
KRYSKO & GREG LORD
BENJAMIN DAMAGE
KORNEL KOVACS
CALL SUPER
WILLOW
LAUREN LO SUNG
TASKER
HACKETT

Bloody hell...

Only just come back on here and seen all the negative stuff about the Four Tet all nighters. It definitely wasn't as good as previous years but I've got to say I still really enjoyed it. I wouldn't want to see DJs there all the time but as a one off I really didn't mind the ludicrously booming, cavernous sound. Think I'm quite good at tuning out bad crowds as well to be honest, although I agree the queue was ridiculous. 

@willsnewman, I actually completely forgot I texted you until the next night anyway so no worries!

9 hours ago, bennyhana22 said:

Ben

It'll be the 3 rooms, they'll have some fun splitting that lot up to avoid clashes and crushes. 

8 minutes ago, Winslow Leach said:

Bloody hell...

i would fucking love to go, but i dont know if it is going to be possible/practical for me to get down to Manchester on the first. 

Artwork b2b Denis Sulta, Koze and then thundering into Klock and Dettmann, thats some serious start to the new year

On 18/10/2016 at 1:55 PM, big__phil said:

Its definitely legal, they 'reserve the right' to not allow anyone they like in. They also email ticket holders the day before to remind them of this.

I know what you mean but by doing it this way it is reliant on them turning away 5% of people regardless of whether or not there are 5% not fit to enter the venue....

On 18/10/2016 at 1:58 PM, bennyhana22 said:

Ben

Theres 2 main rooms but also a small 3rd room. Nyd is different as there will be headliners playing at 6pm. Also those sets will be really short i reckon. Eg dettmann and klock could b2b for 2 hours so effectively only play 1hr each. Kink live is 1hr. Most other sets will only be 90 mins

On 18/10/2016 at 0:25 PM, Mezhyp1 said:

BEN KLOCK
MARCEL DETTMANN
DJ KOZE
KiNK
LIVE
BICEP
GEORGE FITZGERALD
HESSLE AUDIO:
MIDLAND
BODDIKA
MIKE SERVITO
ARTWORK b2b DENIS SULTA
PALMS TRAX
KRYSKO & GREG LORD
BENJAMIN DAMAGE
KORNEL KOVACS
CALL SUPER
WILLOW
LAUREN LO SUNG
TASKER
HACKETT

Im debating not bothering with NYE and doing that instead. Taxis wont be double price by the time I leave town for a kick off

On 18/10/2016 at 1:55 PM, big__phil said:

no, it isn't. it's legal to turn away people, but it definitely isn't legal to oversell the event.

they have a licence to sell X amount of tickets. if they sell more than that then they could have their licence revoked, which would be a huge problem for them, and potentially bankrupt the company.

1 hour ago, ghostdancer1 said:

no, it isn't. it's legal to turn away people, but it definitely isn't legal to oversell the event.

they have a licence to sell X amount of tickets. if they sell more than that then they could have their licence revoked, which would be a huge problem for them, and potentially bankrupt the company.

My point was more about the bouncers turning away whoever they hell the don't like the look of. You make a good point about the number of tickets they sell though. 

It can get VERY busy in there, to the point that sometimes you can't even dance (which rather defeats the point). Is that just because everyone is in the main room?

Edited by big__phil

ah ok, i get you.

yeah, i think that's the problem really, the venue has a licence for a certain capacity, but that's based on an assumption of people being spread around it. if you get most people in the main room for a big name then it's going to be rammed. they need to do a better job of putting big-ish names in the other rooms when there's a big one on in the main room.

Edited by ghostdancer1

22 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

ah ok, i get you.

yeah, i think that's the problem really, the venue has a licence for a certain capacity, but that's based on an assumption of people being spread around it. if you get most people in the main room for a big name then it's going to be rammed. they need to do a better job of putting big-ish names in the other rooms when there's a big one on in the main room.

not been this year yet but in previous years there's always a massive bottle neck crush between the two main rooms, there was a soundstage at the back of room 1 that only left about 20 feet of space between it and the wall. such bad design, horrible trying to get through there to the bogs etc

Also, while I'm here...

The Four Tet all nighter on the Friday was great, sound a bit shit but him Ben UFO and Jamie XX (to my surprise as I thought he'd be a bit shit) all smashed it and Josey Rebelle wasn't bad either.

Also that NYD WHP is just ridiculous but too ridiculous. I'd take that on the farm over the 5 days not in 12 hours where everyone has a 1 hour set

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, StePotts said:

not been this year yet but in previous years there's always a massive bottle neck crush between the two main rooms, there was a soundstage at the back of room 1 that only left about 20 feet of space between it and the wall. such bad design, horrible trying to get through there to the bogs etc

It's worse this year. They've added a 3rd stage where on the night I went had a bunch of no names so was empty all night but allows extra capacity by a couple of hundred I imagine. Room was was dangerous all night. Other than for Daniel Avery were it was empty lol

Theyre giving out free tickets for Heidi presents the Jackathon tomorrow. Hopefully will be pretty empty in there then. I wanna see what all this Black Madonna fuss is about

Well...

The Blackdot presents event at the Rainbow venues in Birmingham on Friday was bloody amazing!

I arrived at about midnight having met 5 Glastonbury camping friends earlier that evening. I left them a bit early as I wanted to get dancing, with them following on in time for the last entry at 1am. 

Luke Oxley was on when I arrived, playing some perfectly fine minimalist stuff and that got me going nicely, with a pretty decent PA. The venue, an old textile factory was suitably rustic and felt really good, with a nicely busy crowd, but a high ceiling meaning it wasn't too hot.

My friends then arrived at just before 1am, only to be refused entry!! So I had to make new friends in there, which proved in no way difficult.

Steevio and Suzybee came on at 2am and played 90 minutes of the most sublime modular analogue improvised techno. Having explored him online, the live experience was even better. Somewhat gentle, pulsating stuff that evolves around you and utterly captivates. I could happily have carried on dancing to him for longer. Then it was Bjarki playing live and I really enjoyed him. I like his recorded stuff, though it is sometimes a little bit 'mainstream' for me, but his live set was banging. And then Lady Nina. Bloody Hell. I do believe the hype. She was excellent. I've been enjoying some of her sets online (Space, Awakenings), having not seen her before. Essentially, her entire set pushed my techno buttons. Just before the end of the set (unusually for a billed headliner playing the final slot of 0400-0600h) she ramped up the bpm and played a jungle-techno track. Never usually my favoured bpm, it was brilliant! Maybe I was just so happy with the night that she could have played almost anything! Anyway, after that, we shouted and cheered her into a 15 minute encore which was as good as anything else all night. I left at 0615h in a state of euphoria and headed for the first train home. Bit broken on Saturday, but now fully recovered and just reliving what was a fantastic night. Would LOVE her to play Glastonbury next year...

:)

Ben