Electronica/Dance

bennyhana22

14 hours ago, Chawk said:

Can any one recommend any acts like Orbital? Halcyon is one of my favourite tracks ever, but don't know genre particularly well. Also like Underworld obviously. Cheers

Like S2H said, Jon Hopkins is a good one to go for. Immunity is extraordinary and very much in the Orbital 'feel'.

Open Eye Signal will blow your mind.

And if you like that and fancy something a bit more actual dance floor rather than (sorry) IDM, try the George Fitzgerald remix, to which I would happily dance at Glastonbury for, oh let's say 6 hours?!

The Chemicals are good, but a bit more 'mainstream' dance, compared to the 'subtler', more understated soundscapes that Orbital created, at their peak. And if you like Halcyon and haven't explored Orbital more, listen to In Sides, their magnum opus, in my never intentionally humble opinion.

Ben

:)

45 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

Like S2H said, Jon Hopkins is a good one to go for. Immunity is extraordinary and very much in the Orbital 'feel'.

Open Eye Signal will blow your mind.

And if you like that and fancy something a bit more actual dance floor rather than (sorry) IDM, try the George Fitzgerald remix, to which I would happily dance at Glastonbury for, oh let's say 6 hours?!

The Chemicals are good, but a bit more 'mainstream' dance, compared to the 'subtler', more understated soundscapes that Orbital created, at their peak. And if you like Halcyon and haven't explored Orbital more, listen to In Sides, their magnum opus, in my never intentionally humble opinion.

Ben

That's probably my favourite remix of all time (or at least the last few years), it manages to turn the original track inside out in a unique way I can't put my finger one.  Although I fear you're doing the Chemicals something of a disservice in their soundscaping.  Quite a lot of subtlety underneath the bombast.

12 hours ago, jonodillieono said:

Chemical brothers, start off with The Salmon Dance. Very similar to halycon

Haha, cheers. I know The Salmon Dance well enough not to have to look it up. You're right, it's euphoric.

7 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Have you tried Jon Hopkins' first two albums? Also check out Future Sound Of London.

No, will do mate, cheers. I've only listened to Immunity and Insides, both great. 

1 hour ago, bennyhana22 said:

Ben

Thank you, great remix. I'm open to techno too! Obviously a lot of Underworld stuff verges on that.

I haven't listened to In Sides, although I know a couple tracks that compilation album they have, so I'll get on it.

11 minutes ago, Chawk said:

Thank you, great remix. I'm open to techno too! Obviously a lot of Underworld stuff verges on that.

I haven't listened to In Sides, although I know a couple tracks that compilation album they have, so I'll get on it.

Not sure if this is universally accepted, but I see Orbital as techno - certainly as important to the current sound and scene as any other 'historical' electronic band. Their stuff is a bit more thematic, and much less formulaic than what you would hear at even a brilliant techno set these days (and I bloody love to dance to techno!). But, for me, they are the architects of the bleepy, squelchy, minimalist, euphoric, vocal-free techno that I love the very most. To me, they are dance music gods, almost without parallel in terms of their legacy.

Ben

1 minute ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Have to catch you first!

This is true. I feel that the mud compromised my night-time this year - only 2 all-nighters and a bail-out at 0300h on Saturday night/Sunday morning with feet that were SOOOO sore in my boots.

Praying for (a) a ticket and (b) a drier GF2017, so I can gun it!

Ben

Just now, bennyhana22 said:

This is true. I feel that the mud compromised my night-time this year - only 2 all-nighters and a bail-out at 0300h on Saturday night/Sunday morning with feet that were SOOOO sore in my boots.

Praying for (a) a ticket and (b) a drier GF2017, so I can gun it!

Ben

Won't that make it harder to catch you? :P

I found this year easier on my feet than 2014, with all the extra mud cushioning.  The worst is when you get that rock hard ground and every step is painful, especially after it's dried out and gone like polished marble.

1 hour ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Won't that make it harder to catch you? :P

I found this year easier on my feet than 2014, with all the extra mud cushioning.  The worst is when you get that rock hard ground and every step is painful, especially after it's dried out and gone like polished marble.

Ah, you mean Ye Olde Ankelle Breaker

Proper dance hazard is that!

Ben

22 hours ago, bennyhana22 said:

Not sure if this is universally accepted, but I see Orbital as techno - certainly as important to the current sound and scene as any other 'historical' electronic band. Their stuff is a bit more thematic, and much less formulaic than what you would hear at even a brilliant techno set these days (and I bloody love to dance to techno!). But, for me, they are the architects of the bleepy, squelchy, minimalist, euphoric, vocal-free techno that I love the very most. To me, they are dance music gods, almost without parallel in terms of their legacy.

Ben

Everyone who's anyone knows Orbital's finest hour was their brief expeditionary foray into the kingdom of the junglists.

32 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Sad times last night as Carl Cox ended his Space residency. Regardless of the views of the night - it is the end of an era. 

I had many great nights - and before that days - in that club. I remember Coxy's 40th birthday and meeting the man himself at the then VIP only upstairs terrace.  First time I visited was 2001. Last time I was in there was 2013. Very much the end of an era. 

On 20/09/2016 at 4:54 PM, bennyhana22 said:

Ben

You're right, they probably are. I guess personally I class techno as being darker and more intense/repetitive than Orbital. But that's probably my own convention rather than the actual definition. But yeah, considering how much I love Orbital 2 (the brown album), I need to need to listen to more.

Daniel Avery sounds like something you might enjoy.

Yeah, love this.

Edited by Chawk

3 hours ago, Winslow Leach said:

Everyone who's anyone knows Orbital's finest hour was their brief expeditionary foray into the kingdom of the junglists.

There really are very few, nay no, electronic artists that I have loved consistently as much as the Brothers Hartnoll, and I've always enjoyed Snivilisation. But my heart was stolen by techno and there it remains, so I'll see your jungle and raise you an Impact (The Earth Is Burning). Oh my. Remember seeing this live at Brixton Academy forever ago. Bugger me, I thought I was going to burst.

Ben

Edited by bennyhana22

Decidedly not techno, nor jungle, but 100% Orbital and my favourite thing they've ever done.

I was just starting out in electronic production when @fatyeti24 played me Orbital's new album and the opening track pretty much broke my brain for the rest of the night. Part after part, layered magnificently. A masterpiece.