Electronica/Dance

bennyhana22

On 10/1/2023 at 10:56 AM, PassingCloud said:

f**k me. Max Cooper live really is stunning! If you haven't been to see him, just go!

He’s got a couple of gigs coming up at Earth in London in December. Gonna go to the first as there’s an extended after party that night.

Edited by Twiggy553
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Got tickets for the first time yesterday. Looking through clashfinders of the past few years, the dance music lineups are genuinely incredible every year and a big appeal for me. Some questions for you as a first timer.

Do certain stages have a specific type of dance music? As in one stage will be techno, another house, others disco, drum n bass etc. or are most of the bigger dance stages a mish mash of everything?

How busy can you expect it to get at stages such as Levels, Arcadia, The Glade, San Remo? Those seemed to have some amazing DJ sets last year that would be right up my street but if it was overly packed I'd probably rather find somewhere else. Palms Trax b2b Job Jobse on the Wednesday at Levels must have been an amazing gig.

How prominent is drum and bass? It seems to feature very heavily in a lot of videos/vlogs I've seen. Personally have less than zero interest but it seems very popular in the UK.

11 minutes ago, LeFreak said:

Got tickets for the first time yesterday. Looking through clashfinders of the past few years, the dance music lineups are genuinely incredible every year and a big appeal for me. Some questions for you as a first timer.

Do certain stages have a specific type of dance music? As in one stage will be techno, another house, others disco, drum n bass etc. or are most of the bigger dance stages a mish mash of everything?

How busy can you expect it to get at stages such as Levels, Arcadia, The Glade, San Remo? Those seemed to have some amazing DJ sets last year that would be right up my street but if it was overly packed I'd probably rather find somewhere else. Palms Trax b2b Job Jobse on the Wednesday at Levels must have been an amazing gig.

How prominent is drum and bass? It seems to feature very heavily in a lot of videos/vlogs I've seen. Personally have less than zero interest but it seems very popular in the UK.

The stages are pretty curated by the teams that run them. The Glade, The Temple & San Remo for example are three completely different vibes, but as you look through the clashfinder, you'll see that some DJs tend to play several times across the festival. 

Palmsy x Jobse was heaving, but I had a bit of a panic attack before I later realised, we should have just tried to push through where we would have found more space. The stage was new & I kind of panicked & just needed to get out. 

Some places do get very busy, but it can be quite hit & miss & hard to predict. Some places might seem chocka blocka, but you get one friend to go deep into the crowd to have a look & finds out there's some huge pockets of space near the front. You leave the stage a couple hours later, seeing people hanging near the back, holding their drinks by their faces because they're so squished together. Other times, it really is just that busy. 

D&B is popular but it's Techno/Electronica is probably the most common at Glasto imo. 

I'm not into D&B & have never run out of things to enjoy.

Arcadia tends to have a curated mix of artists in a similar genre per night. Though one year I saw Kurupt FM > Four Tet > Calvin Harris there. So it's got everything happening tbh.

Personally am yet to have the banger night I'm after at San Remo, the DJ names are there, but idk, that place, is never it, despite how much I keep giving it a go for a DJ I like. Best time I had in there was during the day when it was half empty.

• Like 1

Great detailed answer, cheers! Feel like I've a fair idea of how the festival operates during the day but very curious about the night as I guess they are the bits you see less of on social media. Arcadia, Silver Hayes and the SE Corner seem to be the three main late night areas - have you a preference or a least favourite?

34 minutes ago, LeFreak said:

Great detailed answer, cheers! Feel like I've a fair idea of how the festival operates during the day but very curious about the night as I guess they are the bits you see less of on social media. Arcadia, Silver Hayes and the SE Corner seem to be the three main late night areas - have you a preference or a least favourite?

Nº1 has to be SE Corner, Silver Hayes is good, but it's kind of far & not open as late, so if you go there, it's gonna be quite a trek at 3am if you wanna keep going. If 3am is your curtain close, then SH could be a shout. Or you don't mind another 30 min walk after your entire day. (plus your walk back)

Arcadia is good to go to before SEC too imo, not as far. Arcadia is just one stage, so just gonna be one thing there, depending if that's what you want.

Though I did find SEC much busier this year, even at 4am felt like crowds were not dying down much.

& There are still other areas with E&D music though, Stonebridge bar, Greenpeace tree. Too much to choose from!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, LeFreak said:

It's fluctuated over the years. From 2011 to maybe 2017, Shangri-la was the place for late night kicks. Super creative, weird alleyways, interactive performance art and twisted micro venues have given way to larger stages and crowd bottlenecks. It's definitely due a revamp but it's still an eye opener and really enjoyable for first timers. Boomtown regulars might find it a little tame nowadays though. 

NYC Downlow is always a vibe. It's an investment in time to get in, but well worth spending at least one night amongst the disco debauchery. 

IICON first came along in 2019 and visually blew everyone away. It's definitely a venue for the "heads" but did throw a few more universally recognisable names in last year. 

Arcadia is a bit like Shangri-la in that it's become a little "seen it, done it" but again, for first timers, raving in the belly of the beast is a thrill. 

Silver Hayes has been the biggest turnaround over the past two years. It's gone from run-of-the-mill field full of sound bleed and frustrating venues to a mini festival in its own right, thanks to an injection in investment and development from the Love Saves The Day gang. 

Then there's the best "venue" in the festival in my opinion in The Temple. An outdoor arena, complete with bleachers, like some kind of techno bullring. No Glastonbury adventure is complete without witnessing the sunrise there.

Then you've got the likes of San Remo, The Glade, Unfairground, Rum Shack, Babylon Uprising, Stonebridge, Greenpeace, etc...I could go on.

Essentially, it's all amazing and you're going to have the most incredible time discovering everything on offer. I'm envious of your fresh eyes seeing it all for the first time. Prepare to have your mind blown.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

It's fluctuated over the years. From 2011 to maybe 2017, Shangri-la was the place for late night kicks. Super creative, weird alleyways, interactive performance art and twisted micro venues have given way to larger stages and crowd bottlenecks. It's definitely due a revamp but it's still an eye opener and really enjoyable for first timers. Boomtown regulars might find it a little tame nowadays though. 

NYC Downlow is always a vibe. It's an investment in time to get in, but well worth spending at least one night amongst the disco debauchery. 

IICON first came along in 2019 and visually blew everyone away. It's definitely a venue for the "heads" but did throw a few more universally recognisable names in last year. 

Arcadia is a bit like Shangri-la in that it's become a little "seen it, done it" but again, for first timers, raving in the belly of the beast is a thrill. 

Silver Hayes has been the biggest turnaround over the past two years. It's gone from run-of-the-mill field full of sound bleed and frustrating venues to a mini festival in its own right, thanks to an injection in investment and development from the Love Saves The Day gang. 

Then there's the best "venue" in the festival in my opinion in The Temple. An outdoor arena, complete with bleachers, like some kind of techno bullring. No Glastonbury adventure is complete without witnessing the sunrise there.

Then you've got the likes of San Remo, The Glade, Unfairground, Rum Shack, Babylon Uprising, Stonebridge, Greenpeace, etc...I could go on.

Essentially, it's all amazing and you're going to have the most incredible time discovering everything on offer. I'm envious of your fresh eyes seeing it all for the first time. Prepare to have your mind blown.

Oh man, I f**king love Glastonbury. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1