Electronica/Dance

bennyhana22

6 hours ago, polnico said:

Anyone went to WHP this w-e and could somewhat review Bicep's new show ? Thinking about going to Antwerp, but need confirmation that the Chroma show is good!

Very good but nothing out of the ordinary. Pretty similar to their Printworks closing set; played a lot of Overmono, Joy Orb and some new self-produced jungle tunes they've teased. 

11 hours ago, polnico said:

Anyone went to WHP this w-e and could somewhat review Bicep's new show ? Thinking about going to Antwerp, but need confirmation that the Chroma show is good!

Baso just what was said above, still had the lightshow and everything too - really enjoyed it. Worth checking out the mini set they did for BBC Sounds, gives you a taste of what to expect. 

6 hours ago, Trunks1993 said:

Very good but nothing out of the ordinary. Pretty similar to their Printworks closing set; played a lot of Overmono, Joy Orb and some new self-produced jungle tunes they've teased. 

1 hour ago, stanh said:

Baso just what was said above, still had the lightshow and everything too - really enjoyed it. Worth checking out the mini set they did for BBC Sounds, gives you a taste of what to expect. 

Thanks for the feedback! Listened to the BBC 6 mix and quite enjoyed it, but have already seen them twice on their Isles tour, so I am hoping for something different, and this indeed sounds different!

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished reading this. A great read for those that remember the late 80's early 90's underground free party rave scene and the build up to Castle Morton.

Takes me back to my first rave The Avon Free Party on Chipping Sodbury common in 1991. Good times.

IMG-20231006-WA0002.jpeg

21 hours ago, Matt - Ed Banger Records said:

Did anyone here go to Drumsheds this weekend? Any first impressions? Looked like nightmare to get in and apparently absolutely roasting inside. Going to the Bugged Out night in a couple of weeks so hoping the teething issues are sorted before then. 

Yes I went, queue to get in was fine for us (went in about 4pm). Sound was quiet in main room at the start but improved for Evelyn king and then onwards. Sound in the smaller rooms was good throughout. It was hot inside as you say but kinda feels par for the course in most clubs. Venue was good, nothing on Printworks in my opinion but serves a purpose. Main room is so big that even at peak time it felt kind empty if you weren’t in the middle/near the front 

On 10/9/2023 at 9:14 PM, Matt - Ed Banger Records said:

Did anyone here go to Drumsheds this weekend? Any first impressions? Looked like nightmare to get in and apparently absolutely roasting inside. Going to the Bugged Out night in a couple of weeks so hoping the teething issues are sorted before then. 

I'm going to Bugged Out as well and have been keeping an eye on the reviews. Hopefully because they'll have had a couple of events before then some of the issues will have been resolved but most of the gripes seemed to be around the toilets and sound. The former is an easy fix but I'm a bit of a stickler for good sound quality so I hope it doesn't take away from the experience.

Did see the set times the other day (but can't find them now) and looking forward to Heidi, Kitten and Erol in Y.  Looks like the other rooms finish at 9pm so Orbital will be the only act on for the last hour and a half.

49 minutes ago, Semprini said:

I'm going to Bugged Out as well and have been keeping an eye on the reviews. Hopefully because they'll have had a couple of events before then some of the issues will have been resolved but most of the gripes seemed to be around the toilets and sound. The former is an easy fix but I'm a bit of a stickler for good sound quality so I hope it doesn't take away from the experience.

Did see the set times the other day (but can't find them now) and looking forward to Heidi, Kitten and Erol in Y.  Looks like the other rooms finish at 9pm so Orbital will be the only act on for the last hour and a half.

Orbital is going to be a fantastic ending

Cannot wait 🙂 

Hopefully its nice and busy - that seemed to be almost the biggest issue from the first weekend (although could make the toilet situation worse)

• Like 1

Had such a good time on Saturday at Drumsheds and was impressed by pretty much everything really. 

Stayed at the Premier Inn, which was 5 mins walk away, and seemed like most of the hotel was going to Bugged Out! We headed down about 3:30pm as wanted to watch the football but didn't take long at all to get in. It's basically spread over two floors with the ground one housing the toilets, lockers, a large bar and chill out spaces. Everything's signposted so was easy enough to get around but did take a while to get my bearings.

The three rooms are all upstairs and there's more bars on the concourse and inside the main X room. Went in there first and it's absolutely massive! They've put quite a bit of thought into access and how to move people around. There were barriers funnelling entry into the room so it never felt busy or crowded. Spent a bit of time on one of the elevated platforms which had an amazing view across the crowd. The lights and visuals were excellent (could have done with a few lasers) and the issues that others had mentioned with the sound seemed to have been sorted out. It was loud enough if you stood never one of the stacks but the low end could have been a bit deeper.

Only went into Z a couple of times but it was a nice small space that had a good atmosphere. Spent most of our time in Y though and that was definitely the favourite. Saw superb sets from Heidi, Kitten and then Erol Alkan who absolutely smashed it. Managed to bump into him earlier in the evening and had a brief chat which was nice! Also saw Sub Focus on the concourse just wandering around and he was sound and happy to talk as well.

Dipped into X quite a few times during the evening and saw bits of Basement Jaxx, Hot Chip and A-Trak. The other two rooms shut down not long after Orbital started so we finished off the night with them. I'd only seen them once before at V99 and they put on such a good show on Saturday. Was a real mix of 4/4, breaks and even some DnB and the visuals were spot on - a perfect way to end! 

Only spent a little bit of time in the outside area as it was pissing down when we went out. Atmosphere throughout the whole thing was great and got chatting to quite a few different people. There was a really good buzz about the place and everyone we met seemed to be on a high just to be there and enjoying the venue and music. Drinks were a rip off - £6 for a 330ml can of Camden Hells - but we didn't buy any food so can't comment on that.

I'll definitely go back again but will wait to see what nights are announced for the new year. I live a couple of hours away so need to plan things in advance but anyone who lives local should keep an eye out for cheap tickets in the run up to events.

• Upvote 1

Takes absolutely ages to get out, down to the bogs and then back up to the music. Big downside for me. Could they not have at least some toilets on the same floor as the music… kinda annoying.

hot chip was absolutely amazing, one of the best times we’ve seen them!

erol in the Y room was intense, love how dark it was in there

overall a bit of a ball ache and too big really but some good moments

59 minutes ago, Memory Man said:

Takes absolutely ages to get out, down to the bogs and then back up to the music. Big downside for me. Could they not have at least some toilets on the same floor as the music… kinda annoying.

hot chip was absolutely amazing, one of the best times we’ve seen them!

erol in the Y room was intense, love how dark it was in there

overall a bit of a ball ache and too big really but some good moments

Agree on the toilet situation.  Simplest route from X room was to outside toilets, but rain was no fun. 

food was ok and usual ‘outdoor gig’ prices.   

spent most of my time in X and sound was immense.  Near the front the bass was deafening when hot chip came on but balanced out after 2/3 songs.  

visuals and light were good, but not as good a printworks. I think the slim form factor of printworks helped to make the lights even better than they were, whereas this is a very wide room.  

it’s odd getting home from nightclub in time for match of the day.