Electronica/Dance

bennyhana22

33 minutes ago, a6l6e6x said:

Where’s troxy 

that was unreal btw

Okay I know where troxy is, anyone here who hasn’t seen them yet should try and go. Extremely good, only downside was the amount of phones filming when Fred cracked out a big song but that died down by 11pm

On 1/4/2023 at 10:01 PM, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Agreed. The original stage got mouldy during the years off and was unusable, apparently. The bus felt like it was hastily put together and labelled as a celebration of DIY culture. It was always going to be a shadow of the gloriously dystopian behemoth that was Genosys. Whether it returns this year, I have no idea. Sadly we lost a regular poster with extremely close links to the SEC during the issues on here over the past few months, he would definitely know. 

I know our illustrious leader @bennyhana22 was distraught at the loss of Genosys. When he's ready to return, it'd be great to get his feedback on the replacement bus service. 

Oi oi!

Happy New Year, E/D ravers.

Hope everyone is in good form. Obviously shitty about some of the faithful who had bad news on T Day - without question that was the most 'difficult' for our group and, as forunate as I know I am, we'd never been closer to failure.

We'll do an updated roll call come the spring to try to make sure we can get as many hands on deck and snaffle as many resales as possible.

My personal dance activity has been frustratingly thin on the ground. Had a fantastic night at the end of September in Brum, finally seeing Ben Sims (he really is class) and also Truncate. There's a new promotor group in the city called Anteprima who are trying to add a bit of variety and nuance to the techno scene, which is really exciting for me. As many of you will know, I continue to struggle with the persisting trend of harder and faster in UK techno (events), and Anteprima are looking to put on sets to include more hypnotic, deep, tribal stuff - a really refreshing change from the current direction of travel. That Ben Sims night included a second room for Anteprima, and I saw Boddika and Paula Koski, the latter being especially excellent. Only issue there was that the sound in the room was just not quite up to it - ironically, it probably would have managed the harder techno sounds in the big room, but the subtler stuff needed really crisp clarity. Oh well!

Next for me on paper is The Advent and Saytek (Live) on 24 March, again in Birmingham, presented by VOID, so I expect the sound to be on point. I am feverishly looking for something at the end of January, as it's been too long - feel free to ping me if you've got something that you're going to that I might travel for!

Otherwise, I really need to catch up with the thread (happy for anyone to post with a summary of key events 😄), but as we're now through the Solstice and into another Farm year, I intend to be back here as much as I can to guide and support the young padawans.

RE: Genosys Sound System. Hmmm. Main issue for me was that it just wasn't loud enough. Seriously quieter than the usual Big Green MonsterTM, and I felt at times that that impacted on the crowd. The Bus and the rig was not especially exciting as a spectacle (particularly compared to the mind-bending video mapping on my beloved, shabby apartment block!), and so if the sound quailty and volume are not drawing you in, that open area felt a bit meh. Not that I didn't have fun there. But, especially at a festival where there is a higher proportion of punters at dance stages more because it's a place to be/drink, rather than to really get into it, it's even more important that the atmosphere pulls them into dancing. So, for me, it was a bit of a damp squib. Welcome home, Genosys, we've missed you.

Ben
xx

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

On 1/4/2023 at 6:48 PM, Isaaclk said:

Thought this might be an appropriate question for this thread as this music genre benefits most from heavy soundsystems. What stage or venue do you think hold the best sound experience at glastonbury?

Just catching up (on 6 months' worth!).

For me, when on point, it's West Holts. James Blake and Jon Hopkins on there were incredible. As was Justice and Bicep. 

For the dance stages, it's definitely Genosys for me (surprising exactly no-one). Yes, IICON is great, but I find that the crowd density/spread affects how stuff hits my ears and when Genosys is packed and the sound is at full (2-3am is my favourite, nothing to do with stage pof refreshment, clearly...), it's off the scale good. Saying that, Sama' Abdulhadi's set on IICON last year was unbelievably good sound.

Ben

On 12/7/2022 at 11:05 PM, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Weirdly, I've found myself listening to a lot of harder techno recently like Dax J, SPF and 999999999, so I'd take the latter from that lot. And the other two tbf. Thought my tastes were slowing down. At this rate, this time next year I'll be all over Angerfist and Miss K8 

The reason for this new enthusiasm is that those artists are playing techno at bpms approaching DnB!

Ben

• Upvote 1

Seriously, team, at some point can we have a convo about whether its actually possible/fun/necessary (!) to try to dance to techno at 148-150bpm.

What do people do with their feet? At that tempo I am genuinely restricted to either (a) dancing at half-tempo 75bpm, (b) jump up as if slow DnB or (c) standing with feet planted sort of punching the air! All the tracks sound identical (old man comment) at that tempo and the reverbed kick drum just punishes your brain with no nuance, subtlety or musicality (for me!).

WTF is going on?!

The annoying this is that someone like Amelie Lens started playing driving, beautfully tempo'd stuff, and now is a slave to dropping the track to a thumping kick between almost every track. It's infuriating! Contrast that to, say, DVS1, who still dedicates himself to creating a genuine narrative of transition through his set and...i dunno. Is it the drugs? Is it less md and more ket/coke that is, in part, fuelling this harder-faster (stupider 😉) trend?

Answers on a postcard...

Ben

On 11/30/2022 at 1:22 AM, MaxPower said:

Said previously not sure Fred has ever played a DJ set, at least not in the past couple of years that I’ve seen or can easily find, and if he’s headlining Park or West Holts think it’s unlikely he does his live set elsewhere on the farm.

If he does get West Holts hope he is substantially improving his lights/stage production from Primavera/Coachella, which as far as I’ve seen is just those videos he sticks on his instagram on a screen and a basic light set up - hugely gap between that and Bicep’s laser show from this year. 

The Bicep set was the best deployment of lasers at a music event that I've ever seen. Ever.

(sorry for massively bombing this thread with posts now, after my usual hibernation!)

Ben

48 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

Seriously, team, at some point can we have a convo about whether its actually possible/fun/necessary (!) to try to dance to techno at 148-150bpm.

What do people do with their feet? At that tempo I am genuinely restricted to either (a) dancing at half-tempo 75bpm, (b) jump up as if slow DnB or (c) standing with feet planted sort of punching the air! All the tracks sound identical (old man comment) at that tempo and the reverbed kick drum just punishes your brain with no nuance, subtlety or musicality (for me!).

WTF is going on?!

The annoying this is that someone like Amelie Lens started playing driving, beautfully tempo'd stuff, and now is a slave to dropping the track to a thumping kick between almost every track. It's infuriating! Contrast that to, say, DVS1, who still dedicates himself to creating a genuine narrative of transition through his set and...i dunno. Is it the drugs? Is it less md and more ket/coke that is, in part, fuelling this harder-faster (stupider 😉) trend?

Answers on a postcard...

Ben

Never change darling Benny 😘

• Like 1