Latitude 2015

5co77ie

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can see some Neneh Cherry and FKA Twigs playing that Portishead day, would be very nice.

Even when Portishead are on the other stage, I'm just not having those pricks Catfish and the Bottlemen headline R6, hopefully they wont be anywhere near Henham Park this year. Just a horrible horrible band.

I think Catfish and the Bottlemen are quite likely though. I've never actually listened to them, but my dad likes them, so as an "angsty teen" I have assumed they're shit for a couple of months now.

Edit: Also I wouldn't mind if a supergroup made up of bastille, calvin harris, the lumineers and jake bugg were playing R6 if portishead were on the Obelisk

Edited by klipper

I think Catfish and the Bottlemen are quite likely though. I've never actually listened to them, but my dad likes them, so as an "angsty teen" I have assumed they're shit for a couple of months now.

Edit: Also I wouldn't mind if a supergroup made up of bastille, calvin harris, the lumineers and jake bugg were playing R6 if portishead were on the Obelisk

Catfish seem to be quite disgustingly sexist.

Catfish seem to be quite disgustingly sexist.

I'm kinda out of the loop with lad rock/nme bands, is this kinda shit common? I mean it just pisses me off , music culture (particularly rock n roll) is supposed to be progressive.

this particular bit came off as particularly immature:

After about five minutes they ask two female crowd members to take their tops off. And just in case we were left in any doubt, Van shoots down a crowd member who calls out “You’re great!” with “That’s a bit gay”. Just to confirm, Catfish are not gay.

I mean there's uncool and mediocre. Then there's just being c**ts.

I'm kinda out of the loop with lad rock/nme bands, is this kinda shit common?

Looks pretty common. Remember the "boob-cam" at one festival (Download, I think)? There's a perception among lots of creeps that move in crappy rock music circles, that women are only at shows as a mobile vessel for a pair of boobs, which they should get out for the band and the crowd at some point during the show. I know Oasis gigs are never going to be the most enlightened places in the world, but I remember at their one of their Heaton Park shows in 2009 (in the middle of Kasabian's set, surprise surprise), there was a girl in the crowd up on somebody's shoulders, she was pelted with cup and bottles - containing various fluids, after the camera had been on her for some time and her jumper remained on, there was a massive chant of "tits out or get the fuck down". I also remember being dragged to see one band at Leeds festival one time (I think it was our headliners that weren't to be, Two Door Cinema Club), where the frontman declared about two songs in that he wanted the crowd to help set a world record of "most booby flashes in one set", kept the thing up all the way through the set, even at one point complained that he was seeing too many tops on.

Looks pretty common. Remember the "boob-cam" at one festival (Download, I think)? There's a perception among lots of creeps that move in crappy rock music circles, that women are only at shows as a mobile vessel for a pair of boobs, which they should get out for the band and the crowd at some point during the show. I know Oasis gigs are never going to be the most enlightened places in the world, but I remember at their one of their Heaton Park shows in 2009 (in the middle of Kasabian's set, surprise surprise), there was a girl in the crowd up on somebody's shoulders, she was pelted with cup and bottles - containing various fluids, after the camera had been on her for some time and her jumper remained on, there was a massive chant of "tits out or get the fuck down". I also remember being dragged to see one band at Leeds festival one time (I think it was our headliners that weren't to be, Two Door Cinema Club), where the frontman declared about two songs in that he wanted the crowd to help set a world record of "most booby flashes in one set", kept the thing up all the way through the set, even at one point complained that he was seeing too many tops on.

Well I'm a guy whose not really into that kinda music so I guess I've never really noticed it that much, pretty fucking disgraceful story from Two Door there, Oasis/Kasabian (whilst equally gross) is less the bands fault but still pretty awful. One thing that did annoy me recently was the bassist from diiv going on 4chan and being a bit casually racist/sexist (annoyed me mainly cos I love the band).

I've always felt in an awkward/hypocritical position personally about this kind of thing as a big fan of modern rap music, which has its fair share of sexist performers/lyricists, some of whom I really like (Danny Brown, ASAP Mob, Kendrick although he's less sexist than the others) yet obviously don't appreciate everything they get up to/all their lyrics.

To be fair, that TDCC frontman has probably never seen a pair of boobs in his life.

Actually, that obviously doesn't make it fair, but look at him, he must be filled with little man syndrome (or looking like an absolute mug syndrome), and taking the only opportunity he'll ever get.

Something Super Furry Animal related is happening.

If they are reforming then maybe they could be at latitude this year? I don't think they would headline but would love to see them there.

I thought there was a rumour a while back about a reforming band playing, I had assumed it was either Ride or Sleater Kinney.

I'm wondering about them too what with a bit of momentum building rumours wise about them returning and the Latitude announcement next week.

I'm wondering about them too what with a bit of momentum building rumours wise about them returning and the Latitude announcement next week.

They are a great fit for Latitude, but I would have thought that if they are reforming they would be looking to headline, but that doesn't really tie into what Melvin has said about the headliners.

I don't really have any perspective on how big they are to be honest.

People are saying maybe SFA for Festival no.6 and that feel's about right.

Latitude have great musicians but having just read the blurb for the 10th anniversary

"'For Richer, For Poorer, For Better, For Worse' Tania Harrison, arts programmer for Latitude Festival explained the theme, saying, "Whether it's clicking 'yes' to Google’s terms of service, saying 'I do' in a marriage ceremony, or putting an X in a political party's box at the general election, the agreements we make affect the lives of everyone around us. Yet at the same time, there's a tension between the world in which we're told we're 'all in this together' and our society itself, with its growing extremes of rich and poor [...]

all I can think is, w*nkers.

Gonna have a punt.

Headliners: Portishead/Alt-J/The National

Subs: Caribou/Sam Smith/Wild Beasts

6music: Sleater-Kinney/Patti Smith/Of Monsters and Men

This is based on no research and I also should have put Ride in there somewhere

Also not day specific

Edited by Tuna

Gonna have a punt.

Headliners: Portishead/Alt-J/The National

Subs: Caribou/Sam Smith/Wild Beasts

6music: Sleater-Kinney/Patti Smith/Of Monsters and Men

This is based on no research and I also should have put Ride in there somewhere

Also not day specific

Would be very happy with that, especially if of monsters and men were up against portishead. Would give me three great headliners (portishead, sleater-kinney and patti smith)

Ah isn't pitchfork around the same time too? That's half my lineup very unlikely isn't it hehe

Wouldn't know who to replace The National with. Hot Chip? Maybe too small. Cracking a couple years ago though.

Edit: We're expecting a returning headliner, aren't we? Sugar. Haven't a clue then! I really hope EitS come back anyway. They owe us!

Edited by Tuna