Kendrick Lamar

kalifire

1 hour ago, chestwig said:

That Bit in DNA where it steps up a level, gets a bit clubby and the flow gets fast.

Dopest shit I've heard this year.:-)

The album really does get better with every listen. It's got layers to it that weren't apparent at first as I was trying to figure out what kendricks saying, DNA being one of them, now every time I play it the level change just floors me 

Honesty is my go to track at the moment though 

3 minutes ago, swede said:

The album really does get better with every listen. It's got layers to it that weren't apparent at first as I was trying to figure out what kendricks saying, DNA being one of them, now every time I play it the level change just floors me 

Honesty is my go to track at the moment though 

That from the second album he dropped this weekend? ;)

I agree tho. YAH. is the biggest one that didn't hit me at first. The production sounds like barely anything I've ever heard before. Gives me a real early morning vibe.

5 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

That from the second album he dropped this weekend? ;)

I agree tho. YAH. is the biggest one that didn't hit me at first. The production sounds like barely anything I've ever heard before. Gives me a real early morning vibe.

Haha, my bad, I meant Loyalty 

He killed that set. Loved every minute of it. 

Glastonbury certainly should book him to headline in 2019 for sure. Whether they will I just don't know.

But all I want right now is a proper UK tour, it's long overdue. I've waited years to see him live and when I do I want it to be somewhere better than bloody Wireless or BST. Glastonbury would be the ultimate, of course, but I can't wait another 2+ years to see him.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DropBeat said:

But all I want right now is a proper UK tour, it's long overdue. I've waited years to see him live and when I do I want it to be somewhere better than bloody Wireless or BST. Glastonbury would be the ultimate, of course, but I can't wait another 2+ years to see him.

Yep same here, been waiting for a London show that isn't a festival since GKMC (annoyingly couldn't make that show, think it was at Brixton about 4/5 years ago?).

Annoying that he won't play most stuff from TPAB again as well.

I'm in the same boat re UK dates. Would've gone to BST if it was cheaper/he was headlining, but didn't fancy paying £70-odd to see him sub Florence and the Machine. If I'd known it would be my only chance to see him on the TPAB tour I'd have done it, but was sure we'd get some proper UK dates. Would've even gone to Manchester (I'm in London) for that Reebok thing he did, but it was a competition winners thing, and I didn't win...

We're very much overdue some proper gigs. No more random slots at shit festivals.

Really hope he does a UK tour this cycle. Or even just like London/Manchester 

• Downvote 1

He was amazing at Leeds Fest in 2015, the set was very heavy on GKMC which was the right way to go with that festival which shows he knows how to tailor a set to an audience, band front and center with him as well, very humble but you knew you was watching someone very special. 

Came back out after the main set and dropped ADHD off section 80, it was unbelievable 

Cant wait to get the chance to see him again, considering he's also done Longitude I think R+L might jump on him next year to headline 

I feel like Kendrick really missed an opportunity at Coachella, he should've done LOYALTY. with Rihanna guest appearing, I mean - she's already right there in front of the stage. 

Instead we got a Future appearance in a song that doesnt even feature Kendrick :lol:

(not to mention Future was playing that song, a day before, on the same stage, on the same festival - what was the point in that????)

Plus in a more fantasy-realm, they should've had Kanye came out and do No More Parties in LA live together

33 minutes ago, defrio29 said:

I feel like Kendrick really missed an opportunity at Coachella, he should've done LOYALTY. with Rihanna guest appearing, I mean - she's already right there in front of the stage. 

Instead we got a Future appearance in a song that doesnt even feature Kendrick :lol:

(not to mention Future was playing that song, a day before, on the same stage, on the same festival - what was the point in that????)

Plus in a more fantasy-realm, they should've had Kanye came out and do No More Parties in LA live together

It was all about Kendrick, he doesn’t need Rihanna/Kanye to help. He delivered a fantastic setlist.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Set a 6.30am alarm to see it live and I have to say I was a little underwhelmed.

Seemed to have dropped a lot of the live band element and with that a lot of TPAB songs off the setlist.

Didn't think the guest slots were necessary (especially Future) and with it being coachella the crowd was obviously dead.

He was far better at Longitude last year. Thought he'd blow Kanye's coachella set from a few years back out of the water but I don't think he did.

24 minutes ago, XIV said:

It was all about Kendrick, he doesn’t need Rihanna/Kanye to help. He delivered a fantastic setlist.

...except it wasn't.. did you even watch the show? :lol:

There was Travis Scott - played Goosebumps which Kendrick was a feature in the song. SchoolboyQ made an appearance, they did That Part, which again Kendrick was a feature in the song. And then there was that FUTURE appearance which....let's face it, what was the point of that???? (Kendrick wasnt even a feature in that song) 

Probably only there to give Kendrick some rest I reckon

Edited by defrio29
  • Downvote 1

Also as much as it pains me to say it I'm struggling to fully get on the DAMN. hype train at the moment.

It's an excellent hip hop album, probably the best of the year so far. I think it's probably his most easily accessible album yet.

But after about 15-20 listens, for me it isn't up to the standard set by TPAB or GKMC. Maybe it'll grow on me as I hear it more but right now I'm just not hearing it. Those 2 are modern day classics across any genre, think DAMN. is more comparable to Section 80 or Untitled Unmastered in quality for me.

Edit: That's not to say it's not a brilliant album. It just isn't in the discussion for 'greatest hip hop album ever' like the other 2 probably are. Obviously I realise that's a ridiculous standard to hold a musician to, but that's the standard Kendrick has created for himself.

Edited by ConorC