Kendrick Lamar

kalifire

Just now, Matt42 said:

In my opinion Good Kid is my least favourite of the three

Mine as well. Though I wasn't on the initial hype about GKMC and must have heard it a year later or something.

I mean, it feels stupid after 48 hours comparing DAMN. to incredible albums that are two and four years old but I at least think people that are already ruling it out of contending with the last two are dead wrong and may well end up eating their words.

Facts are though, most rappers would be happy if their career had one as good as Section.80 and that's not even in the conversation! :lol:

4 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Mine as well. Though I wasn't on the initial hype about GKMC and must have heard it a year later or something.

I mean, it feels stupid after 48 hours comparing DAMN. to incredible albums that are two and four years old but I at least think people that are already ruling it out of contending with the last two are dead wrong and may well end up eating their words.

Facts are though, most rappers would be happy if their career had one as good as Section.80 and that's not even in the conversation! :lol:

Don't know why but there's something about GKMC that keeps me at an arms distance from it, no idea why

I much prefer the angrier, deeper, political Kendrick

2 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Parts of Section 80 are superb as well. We all must agree he's a very special artist, we're just debating the levels of specialness to all his work.

My jaw drops every time at the end of DUCKWORTH, one of the best endings to an album in a long, long time 

Once this albums got some time under its belt and everyone fully digests it, along with the promotion that goes with it, it'll be considered another amazing album 

Just now, Mouseboy11 said:

I imagine they threw a lot more money at him than glastonbury would

that may be the case but everyone knows that headlining Glastonbury is a big deal. Dubious pop features aside, Kendrick has never seemed too fussed about money. He could easily have made albums where each track is intended to be a commercial success but has always decided against that. If the money is good enough for Kanye and Jay Z then I'm sure it would be for Kendrick.

I'm sure Kendrick will wanna do it - Glastonbury will give him full reign to put on a performance (which he loves doing). 

Based on nothing, but I think the reason why he hasn't played yet is because emily probably considers him better as a headline booking than anything else. I'm glad that he'l never appear at glastonbury as anything lower than a headliner now :)

Damn. has officially convinced me that he'l headline Glastonbury

9 minutes ago, rhg_99 said:

that may be the case but everyone knows that headlining Glastonbury is a big deal. Dubious pop features aside, Kendrick has never seemed too fussed about money. He could easily have made albums where each track is intended to be a commercial success but has always decided against that. If the money is good enough for Kanye and Jay Z then I'm sure it would be for Kendrick.

I'd love him to do it as he was brilliant at Reading..I'm just not that optimistic about it for a number of reasons. I could see Glastonbury going for Drake first if I'm honest.

5 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Damn. has officially convinced me that he'l headline Glastonbury

Really? DAMN. has given me doubts that he'll have the energy and pull required of a headliner. To my mind, he's taken things in the wrong direction to be headlining festivals. That's not to say he's not brilliant and highly skilled, but if someone headlined Glastonbury, got up on stage and performed DAMN., I'd be a bit underwhelmed.

That said, let's see what he's got to offer at Coachella.

2 minutes ago, Mouseboy11 said:

I'd love him to do it as he was brilliant at Reading..I'm just not that optimistic about it for a number of reasons. I could see Glastonbury going for Drake first if I'm honest.

he was brilliant at BST too! I can understand why you may be doubting it a bit but I feel like he ticks a lot of the boxes that are desired in a Glastonbury headliner, more than Drake. Could definitely see Kendrick headlining, especially if the other headliners are bands that are very well known with lots of famous singles (Stone Roses/1975 etc) which would allow him to have full reign over what he wants to do, like Matt pointed out.

8 minutes ago, kalifire said:

Really? DAMN. has given me doubts that he'll have the energy and pull required of a headliner. To my mind, he's taken things in the wrong direction to be headlining festivals. That's not to say he's not brilliant and highly skilled, but if someone headlined Glastonbury, got up on stage and performed DAMN., I'd be a bit underwhelmed.

Bitch Don't Kill My Vibe
Backseat Freestyle
Money Trees
m.a.a.d city
Swimming Pools
The Blacker the Berry
King Kunta
Alright
i
untitled 07
DNA
Humble
Loyalty

the guy clearly has enough bangers now to carry off a headline set

Edited by Matt42

Just now, Matt42 said:

the guy clearly has enough bangers now to carry off a headline set

Agreed, but that's not enough, and arguably only recognisable to a demographic that's hardly in abundance at Glastonbury. Pyramid headliners traditionally need inarguable musical significance/influence (i.e. Radiohead) and/or huge commercial success (i.e. Jay-Z). Some are talking here as if he'd be nailed on to headline but I think he'd be a risk for the Festival.

Just now, kalifire said:

Agreed, but that's not enough, and arguably only recognisable to a demographic that's hardly in abundance at Glastonbury. Pyramid headliners traditionally need inarguable musical significance/influence (i.e. Radiohead) and/or huge commercial success (i.e. Jay-Z). Some are talking here as if he'd be nailed on to headline but I think he'd be a risk for the Festival.

the guy has the contemporary culture by the throat and sells mad records. I'm sorry I don't agree with you.

I feel like he'd nail it, and I feel like he's definitely big enough. I don't think he's nailed on since it's two years away but I could see Glastonbury definitely being after him.

Slot him alongside two bands and it would work. 

Kendrick Lamar, Arctic Monkeys, 1975 or Foals would be a solid trio.

• Upvote 1

hed be a risk from a generic public point of view. But in terms of real music fans, they would appreciate his performance. 

Totally disagree DAMN means he is less likely to headline. His set list would be insane. This album is so deep and great to listen to. Kendricks message will go down very well with the glastonbury crowd.

26 minutes ago, kalifire said:

He puts U2 and Rihanna on the album and you think that's the wrong direction, if anything if he drops either of those as singles he's pushed more into the mainstream spotlight, which in turn opens up headline opportunitys.

Its not like he'd play DAMN! from start to finish and I always thought he needed another album or two to pick tracks off for a Glasto headline set.

He's realistically the only rapper out there who can headline Glasto after Jay Z and Kanye, and will probably have another album under his belt by 2019 to build a strong set list with