royal blood

PetePie

Listened to their album on the way to work this morning. Not bad but I do think people might be getting a bit caught up in the hype. First thing I heard by them, before I knew it was them, was Little Monster and it sounded familiar, I eventually assumed it must be an Audioslave track. For me that's who they sound like.

I do think they've got a long way to go before they're 2nd top on big stages, but good luck to them. They've captured the imagination and a lot of people are talking about them, so they must be doing something right.

The album is alright. That's it. Alright. Nothing new, nothing technically great, nothing even really that catchy. The sort of album you hear round your mates and think it was listenable but couldn't be arsed to ask who it was when you worked out it wasn't Jack White singing over some garage band riffs that you last heard at a battle of the bands. Oh! They have a gimmick do they? Oooo a bass player and a drummer? That's amazing! Hang on, why don't they sound like that? Ah, because he plays the bass around the 12th fret and above when he hasn't replaced the top two strings with guitar strings and plays through a shit ton of pedals. The latter may be ok for the Edge, but at least he doesn't pretend it's anything else. I'm sure they'd be fun live, once. Second on the Other Stage? Behave. Not until they have more songs that don't sound the same.

It might sound pretty far fetched right now but the way sales are going if they keep the hype up who knows where they could place? It doesn't matter if all the songs sound the same as long as people like them, see AC/DC.

Sorry, I was talking about Mumford being c**tz. I wasn't able to see em at Glasto as they clashed with Midlake, who were amazing and they played Melbourne just after I bloody left for Glasto. I am looking forward to seeing them and they are alright, musically, but nothing great. Look at the bands who people have gotten properly excited about. Oasis with Definitely Maybe... 9.5/10. Arctic Monkeys with WPSIATWIN... 9/10. Strokes with Is This It... 10/10. That's the beef, they're getting this hype on just sounding like The White Stripes with bits of Qotsa thrown in, without being anything special. "Is This It?" was actually my emotion when 30 odd minutes had slipped by with nothing offensive sounding, but nothing truly grabbing me by the balls, maybe just a couple of light squeezes. Noone will remember this debut album as a classic debut, not a chance. Who loves Pablo Honey though... Listen, they seem like great lads, I begrudge em nowt and I truly hope they make out like bandits, but let's not pretend that they're anything great yet. People go on about this underground movement but that's only because they haven't realised they were all pretty much herded to the John Peel. The record company has pushed them so hard (same management as Arctic Monkeys. Hmmmm.) it's untrue. I'm in Australia and am getting massively out of touch with new UK music despite keeping an interest and the fact that Royal Blood were so prominent in my psyche as I landed was because they'd been shaped into a very subtle dildo and shoved up my arse when I wasn't looking.

• Upvote 1

You're being a little harsh, don't you think? Look at the sales they've had so far and the size of crowds that they've pulled at festivals this year. It's almost like an underground phenomenon... Everyone that you speak to while watching them are just wowed and people are so excited about them.

I'm not saying I'm going to expect it, but it wouldn't surprise me if they headline the whole festival one day, judging by the current excitement around them.

Unfortunately, mass excitement about an act isn't necessarily an indication of talent or originality. Lots of people like a hell of a lot of shite. There's nowt 'underground' about a band's first single from their debut album being on the Radio 1 A-list either.

I'll echo some sentiments on here, they're 'alright'. Not brilliant, but you can see why it has a crossover appeal between fans of pop music and fans of heavy music. In my eyes they're more of a pop act than a heavy act.

As for playing very high up the bill, lots of people are getting extremely carried away as to their potential. As I've said all along though - if Jake Bugg can headline the Other stage over Pixies then anything is possible. Anything.

• Upvote 2

Out Of The Black, Little Monster, Come on Over

incredibly catchy.. all of them. If you're talking about 'memorable songs'.

Sorry man, I don't think they're that catchy, though they're not bad at all, and catchiness is not the same as a truly good song. This is unfair as ACDC obviously have loads of albums to pick from, but they're just not Highway to Hell, or Back in Black. Not saying they won't come up with them, but they do not justify the hype. Subconscious sheepery, to get people to the JP, but if their live shows are as good as they're meant to be, fuck it. Why not?

Sorry man, I don't think they're that catchy, though they're not bad at all, and catchiness is not the same as a truly good song. This is unfair as ACDC obviously have loads of albums to pick from, but they're just not Highway to Hell, or Back in Black. Not saying they won't come up with them, but they do not justify the hype. Subconscious sheepery, to get people to the JP, but if their live shows are as good as they're meant to be, fuck it. Why not?

nah I agree with you to a certain extent, too early to say if they'l be something huge

but right now they are making a noise, so I guess it's no harm to appreciate their earlier stages.

You're being a little harsh, don't you think? Look at the sales they've had so far and the size of crowds that they've pulled at festivals this year. It's almost like an underground phenomenon... Everyone that you speak to while watching them are just wowed and people are so excited about them.

I'm not saying I'm going to expect it, but it wouldn't surprise me if they headline the whole festival one day, judging by the current excitement around them.

By that you don't mean the huge media hype they get do you?

I'm already losing the 'hype'. I'm bored of out of the black and little monster, the album is all too similar and I thought they were average when I saw them live. it's gone from huge promise to disappointment from me the only tracks I still like a lot are hole, come on over and ten tonne skeleton. I can't see them lasting too long and growing too big. Personally can see a poor second album with one or two average hits then shite from there as they leave our memories forever.

Im sharing a lot of the sentiments here, solid album with great moments but nothing overly special. Theres enough quality enough to keep a fanbase til the next album though. Interesting to see if they take a more stadium rock approach with new material, or experiment a bit more.

Nah, it's a little hard to explain... But it's kinda like they're getting so hyped, but at the same time, Joe Public has no idea who they are... You with me? Same thing happened with a lot of bands, such as The Doors and Kasabian.

Massive bands, but the amount of people you can say their name to, and be met with "Never heard of them" is shocking, really... Not like when you look at bands such as Arctic Monkeys, Oasis, etc. All massive bands and everyone seems to know who they are.

oh c'mon, i know you love to shoehorn their name in to the realms of a respectable artist as much as you can, but Kasabian were pretty widely known from the get-go, and not just to real music lovers. LSF and Cutt Off both reached the top 10 - somebody was buying their singles. just because they didn't shoot to immediate superstardom like Oasis and Arctics doesn't mean they're some kind of niche band

Royal Blood are a little less-so as they don't really have any big singles / are somewhat heavy. i can't see the hype continuing to carry them to headliners, unless they do some kind of revamp of their sound as it's gonna grow stale fast and a live reputation can't carry you all the way to the top - eventually you're gonna need to write some memorable songs

So your issue with his post is that kasabian were well known, not that he said 'like 'the doors and kasabian' as if they were any way comparable.

hahaha i thought i'd skip past that part as it was just too much. were The Doors (as he suggests) 'unknown' around the time? always thought they were pretty popular from the get-go also. didn't Light My Fire get to #1 in America!?

just a bizarre statement in a line of bizarre statements from Tom Wells

Some interesting posts in here.

Re the hype, they may well be getting hyped and be on the Radio 1 playlist but I have no idea about that. I don't listen to Radio 1 or read whatever magazines/websites they are being hyped in. All I know is that I saw them on Jools Holland, thought they were great, went along to see them at Glastonbury and loved it.

This is the same basis that has got me to see many bands at festivals and indeed avoid many. Had they not cut it live, I probably would never have bothered with them again. I've now got the CD and look forward to seeing and hearing more from them.

It's been mentioned on this thread about Fat White Family who followed them in John Peel. You could argue that they'd been hyped up before hand going on what I've read on this forum, I'd heard one song, liked it so stayed to watch them. I thought they had great attitude, the front man was entertaining but after about 4 songs I got a little bored with the music so wandered off. They look like a band that will release a couple of albums then disappear.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that with Royal Blood's type of music, you can have all the hype in the world but if you ain't got the chops, you ain't going nowhere.

• Upvote 1

Nah, it's a little hard to explain... But it's kinda like they're getting so hyped, but at the same time, Joe Public has no idea who they are... You with me? Same thing happened with a lot of bands, such as The Doors and Kasabian.

Massive bands, but the amount of people you can say their name to, and be met with "Never heard of them" is shocking, really... Not like when you look at bands such as Arctic Monkeys, Oasis, etc. All massive bands and everyone seems to know who they are.

I haven't any idea what you mean. They're not really an underground sensation. They've had loads of exposure. More than a lot of bands just releasing their debut album. They're probably gonna sell more than Definitely Maybe did in it's first week.

They've been heavily promoted by XFM and NME for a fair few months now, I'd hardly call that underground.

I think what you mean is, they haven't been mentioned in places like the scum etc. So people who are "not really into music" (ie. People who buy a Take That record at Christmas) haven't heard of them...but that doesn't really make them underground or with a lack of hype.

The Doors and Kasabian in the same breathe :lol: (and I am a fan of Kasabian!)

Edited by LondonTom

So you're all saying that if you asked Joe Public about Royal Blood, they'd say they know about Royal Blood more often than not? No, they probably wouldn't... Same does go for Kasabian, and even The Doors to some extent.

It depends who you ask, as I said just cause the Christmas album buyers haven't heard of them doesn't mean they are not getting hyped or make them underground.

My dad doesn't really follow music at all but he knows about Kasabian, they are in the paper almost every other week with some sort of silly quote. (He wouldn't know Royal Blood but again that doesn't really mean anything, it just means their not massive yet.)

If someone asked me who The Doors were, I'd presume them to be devoid of any taste and cease conversation with them.

Edited by LondonTom

They're definitely hyped and starting to get known outside of "new music listeners". Put it this way; I was out last night in a club that basically plays chart dance/pop with a bit of Arctic Monkeys, Killers etc (standard "alternative" stuff). At about 1am (their busiest) 'Little Monster' was played..and the floor didn't empty.

So you're all saying that if you asked Joe Public about Royal Blood, they'd say they know about Royal Blood more often than not? No, they probably wouldn't... Same does go for Kasabian, and even The Doors to some extent.

In fact, at a stretch, Arcade Fire have it a bit. The amount of people who asked me who was headlining Glastonbury this year and responded with "Never heard of them, why are they headlining?" after telling them Arcade Fire and Kasabian was ridiculous.

Even hyped musicians have never heard of them, so underground :O

http://www.nme.com/news/flying-lotus/79454

I mean this guy had his own Radio Station on GTA V so you know he's clued up with his music, they must really be far underground if he's never heard of them

Edited by jonodillieono