The National

Zoo Music Girl

The last few tours they've missed Scotland out of the first run of dates and this time we've got two dates, what a great bunch of lads. 

I really like that new song. Would be quite happy if the new album's more in this direction, something a bit different for them.

41 minutes ago, Jobseeker said:

YES YES YES! Do we know how much they are going to be? £40ish? 

Do you get given presale access if you are on their mailing list or do you need to preorder the album? Wording confused me a bit.

It's one of these ones where they say you need to preorder it then straight underneath it says you don't so mailing list should be sufficient. 

Edit: first presale seems to be a songkick one, think this is the sign-up link https://thenational.songkick.com/?from=splash&utm_source=songkick&utm_medium=referral&utm_content=e29957419

Edited by kingcrawler

So based on the album tracklist and the lyrics of the new songs on Youtube (live and early versions) we can assume that:

Roman Candle / Checking Out turned into Walk It Back:

The Lights turned into I’ll Still Destroy You:

Obviously Turtleneck remain:

and The Day I Die stay as is too:

I'm still struggling to match Find A Way/Iris  and Keep You.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Robofish said:

The day has peaked early. Great song and surprisingly good choice of London venue for the tour. 

This! Delighted it's in the Apollo! Also now I'll be seeing Nick Cave and The National and Sigur Ros in the space of two weeks... What a time to be alive.

With a choice of four dates it shouldn't be too tricky to get tickets? Will pre-order anyway.

cheered me up no end. jesus fuck that song is good, skips along so infectiously!

question is, knowing there's a chance to see them at their own party later this year and fearing the worst for the crowd they'll have before foos, do i sacrifice them for the exceptional saturday run at west holts??

Edited by liamium

Christ. New song, new video, new album, new tour. They don't do things in halves, do they?

Absolutely love the new track. I want the blue vinyl and might have to get a ticket for the 2nd Manchester show, but do we know how expensive we're talking? I'm skinto. 

Nevermind, cheers @zeppelin

Edited by The60ftOctopus

Just now, zeppelin said:

Oh man I'm so excited! I'm thinking a Manchester and London date. 

FYI Ticketmaster has Edinburgh listed as £32.50 ticket + £4 fees 

Not bad at all that, but think Glastonbury will have to do as my National fix due to having so much on around that time already/being skint.

Down as €57.00 (£48) for the Dublin show, mind.

'Dark Side of the Gym'

Looking forward to hearing Matt sing about people hogging the squat rack and using incorrect form.

1 minute ago, rzwodezwo said:

Not that I expected anything else but what a banger! How good is that guitar solo fuck me 

Yep the solo tips it over the edge from being 'very good' to 'really amazing'. Can't wait to hear this aired on the Pyramid.

11 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Not bad at all that, but think Glastonbury will have to do as my National fix due to having so much on around that time already/being skint.

Down as €57.00 (£48) for the Dublin show, mind.

yep, now I'm having second thoughts with that ridiculous price. although it is a small venue, both nights here will probably sell out in a flash...

2 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Amen to that. If only Nick had done four nights at the Apollo but we can't have everything...

Yep, I am intrigued to see how he handles the o2. I suspect he'll handle it as effortlessly as Leonard Cohen did. I dont actually mind the o2 though, but I know you hate the place with a passion. The last cave apollo gigs were utterly sensational. 

The only question now is what night to choose to see the national?? Obviously thursday would be the best choice, but it would be better to leave a bigger gap between the 2 gigs. But then monday night gigs suck so bad....tough decision!

• Downvote 1

10 hours ago, Robofish said:

I saw them at Ally Pally and the O2 on the last tour. O2 gets the stick on here but the sound was way better there. I was standing at both gigs, pretty close, and enjoyed the O2 gig so much more than Ally Pally. Am I bad?

No, Ally Pally sucks. Sucks a little less now they've sorted the sound out.

10 minutes ago, russycarps said:

Yep, I am intrigued to see how he handles the o2. I suspect he'll handle it as effortlessly as Leonard Cohen did. I dont actually mind the o2 though, but I know you hate the place with a passion. The last cave apollo gigs were utterly sensational. 

The only question now is what night to choose to see the national?? Obviously thursday would be the best choice, but it would be better to leave a bigger gap between the 2 gigs. But then monday night gigs suck so bad....tough decision!

You know what, I actually don't hate the place with a passion (I reserve that for Wembley!), but I really hate the idea of it for someone like Cave. It worked well for Cohen, as you say, and for certain other huge bands I've seen there, usually quite cheesy embarrassing ones with my Dad, ha! I'm sure Cave will pull it off, though. But, yes, still delighted that The National have seen sense. I prefer the Apollo to Ally Pally and it's local for me, too.

I might try for Wednesday, to leave a bit of a bigger gap between the two, or Thursday as it's closer to the weekend. But will probably panic and just go for what I can get.

That's going to be an insane week for me. The National, Cave and then an early morning long-haul flight on the Sunday... citing stuff.

1 hour ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Doesn't it say presale Monday and general sale Friday of next week? Not sure about times though.

It says "15 May at 10am (local venue time)" if you go through a particular route to the presale.