The National

Zoo Music Girl

Their website is confusing - on one bit it says you need to pre-order the record for access to the presale, and elsewhere it says you just need to join the mailing list. Anyone here have any idea where the truth lies? I wouldn't be against pre-ordering the album, but costs £5.60 for postage!!

1 minute ago, big__phil said:

Their website is confusing - on one bit it says you need to pre-order the record for access to the presale, and elsewhere it says you just need to join the mailing list. Anyone here have any idea where the truth lies? I wouldn't be against pre-ordering the album, but costs £5.60 for postage!!

I think they're keeping it confusing on purpose to make people pre-order the album, but I'm pretty sure you can just join the mailing list. It say "no purchase necessary". I've done both for good measure, but had nothing back yet - however it now says on the website that access codes will be sent out on Sunday so all good.

How did you get £5.60 for postage, though? Mine came to £13 total. Did you get vinyls?

Just now, Zoo Music Girl said:

I think they're keeping it confusing on purpose to make people pre-order the album, but I'm pretty sure you can just join the mailing list. It say "no purchase necessary". I've done both for good measure, but had nothing back yet - however it now says on the website that access codes will be sent out on Sunday so all good.

How did you get £5.60 for postage, though? Mine came to £13 total. Did you get vinyls?

Yeah, looking at the blue LP which is I guess is why shipping is so expensive. I've signed up, so I think I'll be brave and leave it at that.

12 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

You should know by Sunday anyway, so if not I guess you can still purchase then to get it.

It says pre-orders need to be done by 10am on Sunday. I'll just chance it I think, and get the LP at a better price a bit closer to release.

5 minutes ago, nikkic said:

Don't know whether to pre-order the vinyl now or chance it and hope for tickets via the email sign up. 

Having to watch the pennies at the moment so may have to be the latter! 

I'm not preordering anything for the same reason. I am not sure what tickets you are trying for, but I think they might struggle to sell out all the london dates. I dont think any of the venues will sell out instantly. Could be wrong tho!

25 minutes ago, big__phil said:

It says pre-orders need to be done by 10am on Sunday. I'll just chance it I think, and get the LP at a better price a bit closer to release.

Ah fair enough, didn't see that. Sure you'll be fine anyway.

7 minutes ago, russycarps said:

I'm not preordering anything for the same reason. I am not sure what tickets you are trying for, but I think they might struggle to sell out all the london dates. I dont think any of the venues will sell out instantly. Could be wrong tho!

I think you're right actually - four dates is quite a lot to sell out, especially when they've sort of been off the radar for a while. Midweek and all so putting off non-Londoners who would travel down.

That said it's in my nature to panic for all ticket-buying opportunities. Been burned too many times!

8 minutes ago, russycarps said:

Yeah hopefully, the four shows is the equivalent capacity of the O2 Arena. 

8 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Can someone point me in the right direction with these guys? Surely they can't be as dull as I think they are?!

I can't imagine they'd be your bag but if you do want to give em a go you're probably best asking @Hugh Jass. He's just started listening to them so should be able to tell you the best place to start. 

1 hour ago, russycarps said:

Going for London so that was part of my thinking. 4 dates at 45 quid a pop surely can't sell out that quickly can it?! 

24 minutes ago, Maurice Mecca said:

For someone who has completely missed the boat with The National any recommendations on where to start?

I'd say Alligator and Trouble Will Find Me are the most accessible albums, followed by High Violet. The others are growers for sure.

To be honest, it took seeing The National three times for me to get into them. It just sorta clicked when I saw them on the Trouble Will Find Me tour.

Edited by fowls

52 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

I can't imagine they'd be your bag but if you do want to give em a go you're probably best asking @Hugh Jass. He's just started listening to them so should be able to tell you the best place to start. 

I'd recommend starting with Boxer, I found it their most accessible to begin with.

That said I reckon Nal will hate anything we recommend.

7 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I'd recommend starting with Boxer, I found it their most accessible to begin with.

That said I reckon Nal will hate anything we recommend.

He might not hate the new track quite as much.