Who's good or bad live?

Guest PDAD

Green Day 9/10 - Fantastic, this is based off of the secret set in the tent last year though. I'm expecting them to put on a killer performance on the main stage and at the Emirates this weekend though

System of a Down 7/10 - The Songs were great to hear, but the performance was somewhat lacking.

Deftones 8/10 - Great performers

Frank Turner 10/10 - Never a bad Frank Turner show, and great on a big stage.

Bring Me The Horizon 6/10 - Really great with the new material on the recent tour, but before have been a bit ropey especially on Festival Stages.

New Found Glory 4/10 - Okay I guess, Nothing special about their performances.

Skindred 10/10 - Great live band, even if you're not into their style they can really get the crowd going.

While She Sleeps 7/10 - Put on a good show each time Ive seen them, great crowd participation too.

Chase & Status 3/10 - Didn't impress me live at all, just kept asking the crowd to start moshpits

White Lies 7/10 - Pretty decent live, spent most of the time Playing rather than interacting, which is no bad thing

Twin Atlantic 6/10 - Very tight band, and they have some great songs so should be great on the main stage

The Blackout 2/10 - Awful live band (Although I'm not a fan of their records either)

Lower Than Atlantis 9/10 - Great performers, and can definitely pull off a big stage. Would recommend highly

Mallory Knox 6/10 - Decent when I saw them in a tiny venue, poor when I saw them at a festival last year. Not sure how this one will go really

Modestep 5/10 - Fairly decent when I saw them, not my thing but they were good live

King Prawn 8/10 - Just saw these last night, was a great show. Would definitely recommend

Biffy Clyro 10/10 - Great Live Performers.

Bury Tomorrow 7/10 - Decent when I've seen them, although can be let down by a poor crowd, and not sure how it'll transfer to a big stage.

City and Colour 4/10 - His sound is definitely lost on a big stage, while he could be helped by the tent I wouldn't recommend

Funeral for a Friend 6/10 - Decent show both times I've seen them, good fun if you're into their music. Nothing astounding about their performance

Gallows 10/10 - Fantastic Performers. Would very highly recommend, always put on a fantastic show (Despite the new vocalist)

Crossfaith 5/10 - Decent live, although the Prodigy cover is the highlight of their set.

Pure Love 8/10 - Great live band, would recommend

(I've seen a lot of bands haha)

Edited by huntyyy

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Crossfaith - I haven't seen them personally but a few of my friends recently saw them supporting Bring Me the Horizon at KOKO and said they were surprisingly good. Not a band that you're going to praise for their artistic merit but might be a good laugh.

Frank Turner 7/10 great fun live and nice singalongs

skindred 5/10 just not my thing

While She Sleeps 9.5/10 epic mosh

Fenech-Soler. 8.5/10 not a fan of electronic music really, but they were very good at the Electric Ballroom in London...

bury tomorrow 9/10 great fun live

The Living End 7/10 - Saw them one year in the lock up, didn't know any stuff and thought they were great, worth a watch if you can!

Sub Focus 6/10 - Good, crowd goes mad as do most for dance

New Found Glory 3/10 - Wouldn't recommend as they have been dire everytime I have seen them, think they get a bit lost on the main stage.

Bring Me The Horizon 9/10 - At they recent tour they were incredible, couldn't have asked for more. Last time I saw them on a big stage at reading his voice didn't coupe but his singing has got much better so hopefully won't get lost on the big stage this year, always a great crowd interaction.

Frank Turner 6/10 - Not to my taste, never really got him but would be good if you knew and liked the songs.

Deftones 1/10 - Bored me to tears at reading 09. Had to walk away.

Green Day 10/10 - Love them, one of the best live acts I have seen, always a pleasure to watch. Hit packed sets so even for someone who isn't a massive fan should be an enjoyable experience.

Devlin 1/10 - Shocking, walking in the tent at T in the park and was dreadful, back out after a few minutes of it.

British Sea Power 2/10 - Very poor mans Arcade Fire imo

Magnetic Man 8/10 - Very enjoyable experience, i believe if you weren't a fan they'd have turned you by the end of the show.

The Blackout 7/10 - Not the best live band in the world but always enjoyed them and they seem like the enjoy it to which is always good to see

Twin Atlantic 5/10 - Seen them 3 times and have been a bit hit and miss, hoping they can restore my faith this year as they are one for the future

White Lies 9/10 - Flawless live band.

Chase and Status 5/10 - Seen them when they were amazing and also been bored to tears by them!

Eminem 9/10 - Gets alot of stick and performs with a backing track. But i enjoyed his performance and was a fan for years, I also watched him thinking it was one of those 'well I'm not going to see him again' kind of things.

Funeral for a Friend 8/10 - Do the hits and get the crowd going, what more could you want?

Hadouken 4/10 - Mixed bag, not great vocals and live band but if you're getting involved they can be a laugh

Editors 7/10 - Never seen a bad performance but not mind blowing, if you don't like them on record I'd say don't go see them

Nine Inch Nails 9/10 - Saw them at reading and sonisphere, both very different feels but outstanding live band, a must see for anyone going. DONT MISS NIN!

Biffy Clyro 9/10 - Good live band, looking forward to them! Could get overshadow by NIN though

Just done my impression of acts I've seen at least 3+ or recently.

Green Day, one of the most fun band I've ever seen live.

System, haven't seen them in 10 years but great back then.

Deftones, I like their music but they've only been ok everytime I've seen them epecially at fests.

Frank Turner, crowd pleasing sing alongs but that may not work aswell if you're not a fan.

New Found Glory, I've been unipressed with them when I've caught them live before.

Skindred, great live act and a good start to the day.

Alkaline Trio, solid if unspectacular.

Living End, if the set list is oldies they are really fun but their new material is a bit meh.

The Computers, solid live but they are a line up filler band.

Cerebral Ballzy, shit music but frantic live.

Crystal Fighters, good live but not a must see.

Wiley, can be good live but is normally a c**t tho.

British Sea Power, really enjoyable but so overexposed on the fest circuit I don't look forward to seeing them anymore.

King Prawn, great live but not seen them in 10 years.

The Bronx, intense and fun.

Sick Of It All, great act but they've seen better days.

Modestep, great live but they do too much "make some fucking noise" shit.

Alt J, I hate thier fucking music but are good live, the crowds for them are normally shit tho.

White Lies, good but they seem to have no energy when I've seen them.

Foals, really good.

Gallows, were great but not seen them since the new frontman came in.

Editors, really good.

Nine Inch Nails, one of the best live acts I've ever seen.

Biffy Clyro, great live when they were at Soni they put on a better show than Metallica & Slipknot.

Not a fan? I personally wouldn't take anyones advice on here about whether a certain band is good live or not as there's such a varied amount of tastes. Some people even thought RHCP in '07 were good!

Still it is a forum after all...

Biffy Clyro - One of the best live bands out there. Immense 5/5

Hadouken - Crowd was great when I saw them, but I'd have walked away if I couldn't get near the front. If you can't get yourself in the moshing/pogoing, don't bother 3/5

Frank Turner - Great fun, great crowd and a fantastic set when I saw him 5/5

White Lies - Quite dull from a distance. I've seen better 2/5

Twin Atlantic - Good if you like the music. If you think they're just 'alright', don't bother 2/5

The Blackout - I'm not a fan, but I got dragged to their gig and they were decent 3/5

City And Colour - Borefest 1/5

Tribes - Crowd were decent and they sounded good 3/5

Bastille - Wasn't overly impressed last night, but I'm not a fan of theirs anyway 2/5

Peace - Put on a very good show and really got the crowd going 4/5

Tame Impala - Sounded ace, but not many people were interested at the time. I heard them live first, and really got into them after 4/5

Johnny Marr - The Smiths tracks were great to hear 3/5

Palma Violets - See Peace 4/5

Spector - They're not too bad as a live band. It's a shame that Fred is such a dick 3/5

Pure Love - Put on a great show, and still sound awesome when performing in the crowd, even if some of their songs sound like a slightly better Darkness 4/5

Mikill Pane - Good fun 3/5

Edited by WessexBoy

Out of the bands I've seen on the line-up:

Fall Out Boy - Seen them all the times they've played Leeds, and they're a bit hit and miss live. They put on good shows in 2006 and 2007 and were pretty fun, but were boring in 2009.

Nine Inch Nails - Really great live, their performance in 2007 is one of the most revered performances on these forums. Great lightshow and a real atmosphere and stage presence. Though I'm one of the very few who thought Smashing Pumpkins were better that night. :P

Biffy Clyro - Saw their Main Stage performances in 2005 and 2008 and to be honest, neither were really captivating. I wasn't that impressed by them in 2008, I just found them to be a bit dull. But I've heard that the past couple of years they've really stepped it up as a live band and reckon they'll pull their headline set off this year.

Green Day - I saw them headline Oxegen way back in 2005 and overall they were a good entertaining live band and knew how to work the crowd, but found their live show to be a bit gimmicky and they wasted too much time arsing around onstage with their "theatrics" which could have been spent playing some older classics.

British Sea Power - Supported the Manics in 2010 and they were one of the best support bands I'd ever seen. Can't put my finger on why they were good, they just were. Can imagine they'd be great on a stage as small as the Festival Republic.

Christ, I've only seen five bands on the bill this year. :blink:

Reading have stated on their Facebook that Sub Focus won't clash with Skriillex and Alkaline Trio won't clash with Green Day but there isn't anything official to say that these stages will finish early, it just seems pretty likely that they will. Magnetic Man might not but if they aren't I'd expect either more acts to be announced or for the DJs to be doing full 1hr 30 sets; the same goes for the Rock Stage and 1Xtra stages in that they'll need to add more acts to fill out a full day which doesn't seem too likely.

I thought at first Knife Party would be on early but supposedly their slot at SW4 that day is on relatively early so it'd make more sense to put them on at night (a) so they have enough time to get to the venue and (B) to make sure the tent isn't TOO overcrowded.

Edited by rawaudioinput

Reading have stated on their Facebook that Sub Focus won't clash with Skriillex and Alkaline Trio won't clash with Green Day but there isn't anything official to say that these stages will finish early, it just seems pretty likely that they will. Magnetic Man might not but if they aren't I'd expect either more acts to be announced or for the DJs to be doing full 1hr 30 sets; the same goes for the Rock Stage and 1Xtra stages in that they'll need to add more acts to fill out a full day which doesn't seem too likely.

I can't see the stages finishing early at all. They never have before, I know this year has been a little different wit extra stages and announcements. I think what is more likely to happen is bands that are not bothered about playing against other bands will take the slots later on in the evening as has happened in the past.

It's a no brainer that sub focus wouldn't want to clash with skrillex and alk3 wouldn't want to clash with green Day as a lot of their respective crowds would probably be at the act on the bigger stage, it was probably I their conditions of accepting the headline slot.