The camping essentials - I've found a bargain which you all need to know about thread...

The Other Steve

11 minutes ago, Mark E. Spliff said:

Pretty much the dimmest torch you can find will be more than bright enough. If you're in a dark space, illuminating things near by does not require much.

Unfortunately I've found that not to be the case in this tent. Every time I get up for my early shift I stumble around in the dark forever, even with my phone torch. It's less so illuminating a particular spot and more lighting up as much of the space as possible because I'm a messy bastard and stuff is strewn around everywhere.

The one I had was super bright but I can't remember the specs on it now to grab another (or even where I got it from to be honest).

19 hours ago, Pipine said:

I got some of these from decathlon just before a week volunteering at worthy pastures and they didn’t even need breaking in, super comfy. They were a bargain too. 
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/women-s-waterproof-mountain-walking-boots-mh100-mid-turquoise/_/R-p-133726

These look great! would you say they are true to size?

1 hour ago, oakdown said:

Sure there've been some recs in the last 178 pages but I've just discovered my lamp/torch is dead. Anyone with a Fresh and Black recommend something that'll actually light the inside up well enough to see?

Neither tiny or cheap, but I wanted something to light up one of the Sticklinch Sheds that could hang up and had big battery life (can do an emergency phone charge too) 

https://amzn.eu/d/ggdXWsy

12 minutes ago, oakdown said:

Unfortunately I've found that not to be the case in this tent. Every time I get up for my early shift I stumble around in the dark forever, even with my phone torch. It's less so illuminating a particular spot and more lighting up as much of the space as possible because I'm a messy bastard and stuff is strewn around everywhere.

The one I had was super bright but I can't remember the specs on it now to grab another (or even where I got it from to be honest).

That's weird.   I was using silver black-out tents 20 years ago, and recommending them as the perfect festival tent on here - many years before Fresh&Black existed.  I'm now in the Fresh&Black gang as they're much easier to get hold of than the Australian ones I was originally using  I own quite a few retina-burning lights for diving, but I leave them at home and take weedy ones to festivals as they're more than bright enough.

But if you just want very bright illumination all-round, then the most effective approach is to put a 'diffuser' over the lens of any high powered LED torch (the sort you see cheap on eBay etc often described as 'cree' or 'XML' and with a claimed output of over 1000 lumens.  You make the diffuser yourself by finding a clear plastic bottle of similar diameter to the torch (eg shampoo or conditioner) and jamming it over the end.  This will be cheaper, brighter and more compact than any purpose-made camping lantern.  I can't think of a worse start to the day though - letting the first daylight in to my Fresh&Black tent is always a painful start to the morning...

21 minutes ago, clarkete said:

Neither tiny or cheap, but I wanted something to light up one of the Sticklinch Sheds that could hang up and had big battery life (can do an emergency phone charge too) 

https://amzn.eu/d/ggdXWsy

Ah cheers, this looks like it might be the one I had before! Or very similar at least.

4 minutes ago, Mark E. Spliff said:

That's weird.   I was using silver black-out tents 20 years ago, and recommending them as the perfect festival tent on here - many years before Fresh&Black existed.  I'm now in the Fresh&Black gang as they're much easier to get hold of than the Australian ones I was originally using  I own quite a few retina-burning lights for diving, but I leave them at home and take weedy ones to festivals as they're more than bright enough.

But if you just want very bright illumination all-round, then the most effective approach is to put a 'diffuser' over the lens of any high powered LED torch (the sort you see cheap on eBay etc often described as 'cree' or 'XML' and with a claimed output of over 1000 lumens.  You make the diffuser yourself by finding a clear plastic bottle of similar diameter to the torch (eg shampoo or conditioner) and jamming it over the end.  This will be cheaper, brighter and more compact than any purpose-made camping lantern.  I can't think of a worse start to the day though - letting the first daylight in to my Fresh&Black tent is always a painful start to the morning...

Double cheers, that sounds like a good shout! I don't know what it is, the black interior just feels like it absorbs everything and without my glasses or contacts I'm already blind enough. Much as I'd love to let the daylight wake me up, it's not really an option on the days where I have to be out of bed to trek to a gate before the sun comes up.

Edited by oakdown

I use a string of these, maybe 10 metres (?), in my F&B. I rig them up in a straight line from the lantern hook at the back of the tent to one of the hooks beyond the inner zip for the flysheet at the front of the tent, looping back and forth until the string runs out. Not crazy bright but it covers more area than a torch or some lanterns and is less aggressively bright. Mine are USB but you can get AA powered ones.

On eBay search for terms like 'copper LED string':

image.png.1b32d2ef2080b31b67c2f6fc3b757d1f.png

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, oakdown said:

OAKY I've got you...

Had one of these for years, USB rechargeable - brilliant for looking about for your two as you've two free hands. 

Also most if not ALL tents will have a hook on the roof of the tent, just hang it there for an above light too. 

71HM1iDCUhL._AC_SX679_.jpg

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Blukar-Rechargeable-Headlamp-Headlight-Waterproof/dp/B09G6M8JLK/ref=sr_1_7?crid=1KRGN6PTRM8FT&keywords=head+torch&qid=1686640638&sprefix=head+torch%2Caps%2C164&sr=8-7

Strong and refillable bottle for just over 3 quid, which is also the perfect size to fit 750ml of spirits. 

Once you've drunk the spirits it's really easy to fill from a variety of taps as it has a wide neck, also has one of those things you pull with your teeth to open, but it's also a good seal too so the liquid doesn't come out.  If you're in a van or when back at home you can also put them on their side in the freezer.

My partner likes to drink a lot of water so it very quickly became their preferred bottle after I brought them home last year.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002FOMU3O 

61NCFmxJbiL.__AC_SX300_SY300_QL70_ML2_.jpg

On 6/8/2023 at 1:20 PM, ModernMan said:

Does anyone want to buy a very good trolley? We are campervan-ing this year so looking to find it a good home. It’s a Robert Dyas one with new wheels and upgraded bolts to stop the wheels coming off. 

I’m in the market for one of these! 

18 minutes ago, clarkete said:

Strong and refillable bottle for just over 3 quid, which is also the perfect size to fit 750ml of spirits. 

Once you've drunk the spirits it's really easy to fill from a variety of taps as it has a wide neck, also has one of those things you pull with your teeth to open, but it's also a good seal too so the liquid doesn't come out.  If you're in a van or when back at home you can also put them on their side in the freezer.

My partner likes to drink a lot of water so it very quickly became their preferred bottle after I brought them home last year.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002FOMU3O 

61NCFmxJbiL.__AC_SX300_SY300_QL70_ML2_.jpg

14 minutes ago, clarkete said:

Things to clip onto my bag?

Well I could use some string, which because I'm rubbish at knots would be a pain to unfasten and refasten every day, or I could buy some carabiners?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0BN1J312K/

61WwdUqQ3cL._AC_SX679_.jpg

But there's nothing on the SIS bottle to attach a carabiner to...?

2 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

But there's nothing on the SIS bottle to attach a carabiner to...?

No, the bottle is going into the poncey bag I bought earlier in the week, which is half cool bag and half day bag.

The carabiner will enable me to clip stuff onto the top - I'm hoping a tiny chair I've got.

81Xp3XTG8rS._AC_SX679_.jpg

• Like 1

If you're taking an airbed, consider taking a rechargeable air pump. You can get them for about a tenner on fleebay.

There are more pleasurable ways to get lightheaded.

The bit of card is to cover the on/off button, so it doesn't accidentally switch on in the bag.

PXL_20230613_165214839.thumb.jpg.c60183380791b69ce526f2cc4324f3c0.jpg and drain the battery.

16 minutes ago, offmytrolley said:

These pumps are great too, lots of attachments for various air beds, sleeping pads etc, plus a built in tent lantern and you can use the battery as a USB power bank too: https://www.flextail.com/products/max-pump-2-pro

(Available on Amazon and eBay UK)

I’ve got one of them, loads lighter and rechargeable will blow up 5+ airbeds easy.

Edited by Vulpes vulpes
Spelling

• 3 months later...
On 6/13/2023 at 5:53 PM, 2019 said:

If you're taking an airbed, consider taking a rechargeable air pump. You can get them for about a tenner on fleebay.

There are more pleasurable ways to get lightheaded.

The bit of card is to cover the on/off button, so it doesn't accidentally switch on in the bag.

PXL_20230613_165214839.thumb.jpg.c60183380791b69ce526f2cc4324f3c0.jpg and drain the battery.

Just turn a battery upside down to stop the pump switching on by mistake.  

What is the go-to now for tents, in terms of best deals/quality? Decathlon? 

Mine finally met its demise last year. I'll be looking at a number of accommodation options, should I be successful, but if I go down the normal tent route I ideally want something I can stand up in and will probably go down the Fresh & Black route, based on what I've read/heard.

25 minutes ago, mufcok said:

Mine finally met its demise last year. I'll be looking at a number of accommodation options, should I be successful, but if I go down the normal tent route I ideally want something I can stand up in and will probably go down the Fresh & Black route, based on what I've read/heard.

Yes, Decathlon. I suspect 99% of people who've bought a Fresh&Black tent would tell you that they wouldn't go back to anything else - especially for a Festival where you might only be getting to sleep as the sun starts to come up, so the ability to sleep an extra few hours is a lifesaver.

40 minutes ago, mufcok said:

Fresh & Black 100%. Not too expensive, easy to put up and gets you some decent sleep in the morning as it's getting light. Hardest thing is working out which is yours amongst a sea of them 😅

1 hour ago, mufcok said:

next and ebay have some cheaper decathlon gear sometimes btw 🙂 

FB Market too

Edited by gfa