Rolling Stones...

Karlhippy

24 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

They only made two great albums IMO:

Beggars Banquet (1968) and Let It Bleed (1969)

No coincidence that Brian Jones was still in the band at the time.

WTF. 

24 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Dirty Work and Their Satanic Majesties are the only 2 I've got missing now. 

Dirty Work is great. You should be able to pick it up cheap.

8 minutes ago, Avalon_Fields said:

Is there another active band (ever) that hasn’t released an album (of original new music) for as long as the Stones…18 years? We should expect the forthcoming one to be at least halfway decent.

Big old gap between the ABBA albums...

My expectations are fairly low - but the fact they've kicked Don Was ro the kerb *may* freshen up the sound a little.

3 hours ago, Avalon_Fields said:

Is there another active band (ever) that hasn’t released an album (of original new music) for as long as the Stones…18 years? We should expect the forthcoming one to be at least halfway decent.

Slowdive had a 22 year gap between their third and fourth albums

16 hours ago, Avalon_Fields said:

Fleetwood Mac are currently at 20 years. Though probably won't be active going forward.

It'll be intriguing if nothing else. When a band like the Stones drops new material you have to stop and listen.

I'd also welcome a new album focused tour. As much as I enjoy the Stones live the No Filter and Sixty tours were essentially a Greatest Hits compendium. 

On 8/30/2023 at 5:41 PM, Avalon_Fields said:

System of a Down are also at 18 years. 

Grace Jones, Blue Oyster Cult, Pixies, the Who & the Eagles have all gone longer between releases in the past too. (Though granted the later 3 did all have hiatuses/break ups at some point). 

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I dunno. The only Stones tour I've seen where it felt like the new songs were a bonus rather than a negative was maybe Voodoo Lounge. Definitely not on A Bigger Bang era.

Yeah maybe. One things for sure they still have the marketing budget and previous album focused tours have come up with some pretty cool set ups. 

On 8/30/2023 at 5:41 PM, Avalon_Fields said:

Not a band, but it's been 30 years since Billy Joel recorded an album and yet he has toured constantly since. There was a 'classical' album 22 years ago but he didn't play on it.

GNR took 17 years to deliver Chinese Democracy. That was 15 years ago...

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Chef said:

Anyone get an email with a snippet to a new song? I've tried to listen but it never seems to load. 

You're not the only one:

THE ROLLING STONES long-anticipated first album of original songs in 18 years may finally be imminent as the band is teasing the new single on a seldom-working website.

On Saturday, the Stones’ social media accounts linked to a website for a track titled “Don’t Get Angry With Me” (or “Angry”), offering fans a chance to “Hear a clip of the new song.” However, after multiple attempts to load the snippet — “Experiencing heavy traffic,” the site states — the website ultimately loads a “500 Error” page, which given the song’s title might be intentional:

Sorry, don’t be angry with me.. https://t.co/sLQ2aAViZb

The Rolling Stones (@RollingStones) September 2, 2023

Fans flocked back to the Stones’ social media pages, complaining that the snippet wouldn’t load. In response, the socials kicked back, “Oh don’t get angry with me.” However, at least one fan managed to make it past the error screen, and were greeted by a 15-second clip of the new track: