Rolling Stones...

Karlhippy

It is just you.

Not sure on You Got Me Rocking for the second song, could lose a few casual festival website owners with that. Is it well known amongst non fans?

I'm lucky to have seen the stones many times. Keith's set often gives casual fans an excuse to nip to the loo/bar. This already makes the atmosphere dip a bit. When he does Before They Make Me Run it seems to lift the crowd again (IMO) but Happy just sounds like a catastropy live, to my ears, compared to the first time I saw them.

He's played it at every gig I've been to apart from one.

He said in an interview that you can't help but smile when you hear the intro. Only reason I smile when he plays it is from the relief of emptying my bladder.

Edited by Alabama shook

oh yes.... forgot they did Street Fighting Man back then.

Another song they usually murder live

True!

Great song though. Not sure if they should do it at glasto.

Angie is a must though. That is the rarity they should bring out for Glasto. Or Ruby Tuesday... They can still pull that off (with a large crowd to mask the chorus)

True!

Angie is a must though. That is the rarity they should bring out for Glasto. Or Ruby Tuesday... They can still pull that off (with a large crowd to mask the chorus)

Ruby Tuesday has to be played that would make the whole set for me, if i go on about it enough maybe Mick will hear me.

True!

Just me who hates Angie then? Splendid. That'll be my piss/bar break!

me too... they should do a medley of Miss You, Emotional Rescue, Angie & Ruby Tuesday. Could have a piss break, and get a drink, maybe catch another band ....

I don't mind Miss You but after that, if that's the running order, I'll see you at the bar.

Angie just sounds like someone taking the piss out of Mick Jagger by doing an impression of him

tonyblair: Are you going to watch the Stones? If so, why?

Throughout this thread, all you have said is...

That's a shit song, they'll murder that, it's never any good live, Keith's shit, Mick's an arse, Charlie doesn't care, Ronnie's crap, I hate that, I hate that and I hate that.

Just curious.

tonyblair: Are you going to watch the Stones? If so, why?

Throughout this thread, all you have said is...

That's a shit song, they'll murder that, it's never any good live, Keith's shit, Mick's an arse, Charlie doesn't care, Ronnie's crap, I hate that, I hate that and I hate that.

Just curious.

aye, i was wondering that myself :lol:

i can't believe Wild Horses seems to have been completely shelved. i know a lot of people on here aren't the biggest fans of it (and i'm pretty sure somebody told me they thought it'd be shelved - sure told me), but i'd always classed it as the quintessential Stones ballad and one of their most beloved songs. thought it would definitely get an outing at Glastonbury but seems that may not be the case. will be disappointed if we don't get it

It's in the rotation for the three song mini-set post-Gimme Shelter where they're mixing it up - that's when they've played:

Rocks Off

Faraway Eyes

Beast of Burden

Dead Flowers

No Expectations

Wild Horses

Respectable

Angie

Let It Bleed

Sway

Bitch

Street Fighting Man

Champagne & Reefer

CYHMK

All Down The Line

You Got Me Rocking

It's All Over Now

Factory Girl

Live With Me

Shattered

Little Red Rooster

etc

and they'll probably also bring out the likes of Monkey Man, Ruby Tuesday and Some Girls. So there's a chance, but realistically I think you could get any 3 of the above.

It's in the rotation for the three song mini-set post-Gimme Shelter where they're mixing it up - that's when they've played:

Rocks Off

Faraway Eyes

Beast of Burden

Dead Flowers

No Expectations

Wild Horses

Respectable

Angie

Let It Bleed

Sway

Bitch

Street Fighting Man

Champagne & Reefer

CYHMK

All Down The Line

You Got Me Rocking

It's All Over Now

Factory Girl

Live With Me

Shattered

Little Red Rooster

etc

and they'll probably also bring out the likes of Monkey Man, Ruby Tuesday and Some Girls. So there's a chance, but realistically I think you could get any 3 of the above.

wow didn't realise there had been that many songs in that rotating lineup until you wrote them all down like that. personally i'd like Rocks Off and Wild Horses but obviously the chances of that are slim

Rocks Off

Faraway Eyes

Beast of Burden

Dead Flowers

No Expectations

Wild Horses

Respectable

Angie

Let It Bleed

Sway

Bitch

Street Fighting Man

Champagne & Reefer

CYHMK

All Down The Line

You Got Me Rocking

It's All Over Now

Factory Girl

Live With Me

Shattered

Little Red Rooster

etc

Now there is a set list I'd love to see but not at Glastonbury. It would be superb in a club but think it would fall flat at a big show with more casual observers.

Thank you tonyblair for your response. I've not seen the Stones as often as you but have never been dissapointed with the bands display. But I don't expect it to be of virtuoso standard as long as it sounds good, I'm happy. This will be my 6th Stones show and I think the signs are good that it will be a special one.

I'm even looking forward to Emotional Rescue.

Edited by Gnomicide

I think people are more forgiving because they know it's the only way they *can* see The Stones. I'd love to go back in time and see them 30 or 40 years ago but I don't have that option so would rather think positively about the performance and see the best in it. I guess it's different if you've seen them before but I've waited a long time to see some of these songs live.

I think people are more forgiving because they know it's the only way they *can* see The Stones. I'd love to go back in time and see them 30 or 40 years ago but I don't have that option so would rather think positively about the performance and see the best in it. I guess it's different if you've seen them before but I've waited a long time to see some of these songs live.

Precisely, given the choice I would trade my own arm to see The Rolling Stones; most dangerous rock n roll band of the 1970's, but as the only option on the table is The Rolling Stones TM; everybody's favourite cheeky English Greatst-Rock-N-Roll-Band-In-The-World-Merch-Now-On-Sale, who invented the abominable shit known as "stadium rock", so that I will take. Caricature Stones is better than no Stones at all.

Precisely, given the choice I would trade my own arm to see The Rolling Stones; most dangerous rock n roll band of the 1970's, but as the only option on the table is The Rolling Stones TM; everybody's favourite cheeky English Greatst-Rock-N-Roll-Band-In-The-World-Merch-Now-On-Sale, who invented the abominable shit known as "stadium rock", so that I will take. Caricature Stones is better than no Stones at all.

Precisely! You put it much better than I did :)

ain't it just. as big of a joke as they've become these days, the day they break up (whether it be through choice or through one of their deaths) will be a sad day indeed, and i'm glad i get the chance to see them live before that happens. when they're gone, who've we got left who can even begin to imagine having their level of superstardom and longevity!?

Well we all know the Stones are immortal, but one day it is true that Mick, Keef and Ron will stuff so much bing up their noses that they teleport to another dimensional plane, Charlie will be able to live his lifelong dream of sitting in an armchair with his slippers and a brew, mumbling inaudible complaints about the world.

Absolutely spot on. There's no point getting upset about them not being as good as they were 40 years ago as most of us weren't around then. It's also a great chance to see them without forking out absurd amounts of money and in a venue where the atmosphere and occasion should make up for any musical frailties. Nothing wrong with not judging it just on the music.

but the defence of "well, they are very old" is daft. There are plenty of musicians who are that old and are, if not as good as they used to be, are more than capable of playing at a decent level.

i think the defence is more "they are what they are". no doubt there's other, more capable musicians of that age, but there isn't another Stones, so if it's the Stones one wishes to see, this is the only option.