Rolling Stones...

Karlhippy

This just in...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2013/may/22/mick-jagger-yurt-rolling-stones-glastonbury?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

Anyone expect to see him around the site or will he be hiding in the VIP Areas?

I remember seeing Prince Charles at 2010, we got moved outa the way and he walked down with Eavis to the greenpeace solar showers, straight through where i had just been making a "smoke", had a giggle as i lit up ;-)

I think the build up / atmosphere before they come on stage will be electric. Have seen them 3 times before in stadiums and the last twice the rows of seats yip seats at the front of the stage were full of the prawn sandwich brigade. Can`t do much for them to be looking out at folk who are there on some corporate business jaunt. Imagine what it will be like at Glastonbury down the front....... They won`t have seen anything like it for decades.

Mick will deliver and so will the massive crowd. They have the tunes and a chance to sign off with a show that will be talked about forever. Think this will also be good for Glastonbury as it will be front page news.

the closer it gets the more i'm thinking the Stones will be incredible. little things like thinking of the moments before they walk on stage / the excitement when they do and all of the sing alongs etc - it's going to be fucking magical, and as a lot of people have said, i think the band will get a real buzz off of the crowd - a real crowd full of music lovers. the last time they will've done that is IOW, but Glastonbury will no doubt destroy that

It's Only Rock N Roll is a goddamn classic. maybe not remembered as fondly as other Stones songs, but i guarantee that chorus will be one of the biggest sing alongs of the Stones set - even non-Stones fans and people totally ignorant to the Stones know that chorus!

Edited by FloorFiller

Any song from Undercover would die on it's arse at Glastonbury. They need to bang out the hits and IORR will do the job far better than She Was Hot in that respect.

As it happens, I quite like IORR. It's not their finest moment, but it's no turkey either. During the 1990s it was definitely one of their live highlights as they managed to put a bit of swing into it that's not in the recorded version and really amped up the Chuck berry-ness of it.

But then I've a fondness for the Stones' exercise in Chuck Berry - Star Star et al.

I think the build up / atmosphere before they come on stage will be electric. Have seen them 3 times before in stadiums and the last twice the rows of seats yip seats at the front of the stage were full of the prawn sandwich brigade. Can`t do much for them to be looking out at folk who are there on some corporate business jaunt. Imagine what it will be like at Glastonbury down the front....... They won`t have seen anything like it for decades.

Mick will deliver and so will the massive crowd. They have the tunes and a chance to sign off with a show that will be talked about forever. Think this will also be good for Glastonbury as it will be front page news.

I think this is so true and for that reason I am beyond excited. Never seen them before but will be seeing them again at Hyde Park a week later so it will be an interesting comparison atmosphere-wise. I suspect Glasto will blow the latter out of the water.

On the downside, this does increase my chances of seeing Emotional Rescue.

Any song from Undercover would die on it's arse at Glastonbury. They need to bang out the hits and IORR will do the job far better than She Was Hot in that respect.

I was kidding ;) You're obviously right in that IORR would be a much better choice! Can't say I argue with the setlist that much at all

I think this could be the reverse of the Springsteen gig, you know.

One of the reasons Springsteen felt a bit flat was that he is used to their fans knowing every single fucking word and going absolutely fucking mental. When that didn't happen, they were a bit lost, I reckon.

With the Stones, I get the feeling that their crwds these days are a bit subdued, for a variety of reasons. I reckon get them up close and personal at Glastonbury with the crowd going batshit mental, then it could really knock the band for six (in a good way)

I keep thinking this. The crowd should be a lot younger and livelier than they're used to. Mick'll be right in his element

The first half of the Springsteen setlist was shite - even for Springsteen fans. A bizarre choice of setlist all round really. Some of the omissions were criminal for a festival show. Apart from one or two, The Stones setlists seem relatively solid.

I'm not sure how Springsteen got it so wrong. Maybe it was because it was one of the first ever festival dates he played.

IOW last year was totally different. Much better setlist and the crowd responded accordingly. Many were saying he was the best headliner ever at IOW, which is quite something when you think that the Stones, The Who and Bowie have played in recent years.

I'm hoping that a 'greatest hits' set from the Stones will make for an unforgettable evening.

I keep thinking this. The crowd should be a lot younger and livelier than they're used to. Mick'll be right in his element

Crowd anticipation at IOW was pretty fever pitch, but they dropped the ball early on by not going with the strategy of wall-to-wall hits. The double whammy of You Got Me Rocking and Rough Justice took a lot of the wind out of the crowd's sails.

Goes with the territory, unfortunately. To their credit, I guess, the Stones have never gone on tour without even a drib-drab of new material (in this case Doom'n'Gloom and One More Shot).

It helps in the argument against the worst of the 'it's just nostalgia'-style critics, but the downside is having to sit through the occasional track that isn't a copper-bottomed classic. Even when it's a relative goodie like Don't Stop or Doom & Gloom it's hard not to wish they were playing Salt of The Earth in it's place, but that's just the way it is.

Crowd anticipation at IOW was pretty fever pitch, but they dropped the ball early on by not going with the strategy of wall-to-wall hits. The double whammy of You Got Me Rocking and Rough Justice took a lot of the wind out of the crowd's sails.

I can imagine. As said elsewhere, the opening salvos going to be crucial isn't it? Get the crowd going enough and they'll carry the show through any later sags