2012 Lineup

Guest Hart Attack

• Replies 16.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like them, but can't help but fell that a lot of the interest in them around the last time they played was because of Johnny Marr. Without him the interest in them drops off and their star fades, and consequently they slip down the line-up slightly.

I don't believe it's about fads or failing to live up to promise. It's all about getting the trendy bands on a pedestal, and sticking the older bands on a backburner to suit the slightly more mature audience, which is why there are meteoric rises for bands like Vaccines and Bombay Bicycle Club to the nosebleeds while bands who've played the high spots in their prime such as Courteeners, Cribs, Coxon, Hives and Feeder get booted down when they're promoting new records. It's evident in the language used by the people who administrate the R&L twitter/facebook/website that it's directed at an adolescent audience..Not that I could give a toss really, I enjoy the atmosphere of the NME stage, but it's not nice to see the festival going in the direction it is. Of course, this is all blatant and well-covered ground on this thread but it's amazing how fickle it's becoming.

Tbh, I think The Vaccines and BBC will both pull off their slots fine.

I also think there are bands on the NME stage who could have traded slots with them and the line-up would have looked a little more traditional in terms of balance.

As it is, The Vaccines and BBC are huge right now. BBC are fantastic and The Vaccines, while a little shallow, will be great on the main stage.

Talking about the festival going a certain way is redundant. Its aimed at 16-21 year olds or thereabouts and so new bands are rightly given the spotlight.

I'd take The Vaccines and BBC over The Offspring everyday. The other sub is the Kaiser Chiefs, and to me, that is ridiculous. Such a poor band.

I don't believe it's about fads or failing to live up to promise. It's all about getting the trendy bands on a pedestal, and sticking the older bands on a backburner to suit the slightly more mature audience, which is why there are meteoric rises for bands like Vaccines and Bombay Bicycle Club to the nosebleeds while bands who've played the high spots in their prime such as Courteeners, Cribs, Coxon, Hives and Feeder get booted down when they're promoting new records. It's evident in the language used by the people who administrate the R&L twitter/facebook/website that it's directed at an adolescent audience..Not that I could give a toss really, I enjoy the atmosphere of the NME stage, but it's not nice to see the festival going in the direction it is. Of course, this is all blatant and well-covered ground on this thread but it's amazing how fickle it's becoming.

Your argument fails on the fact that the large majority of the target audience (the only opinion that matters to FR) would much prefer the Vaccines or Bombay to the Cribs or Feeder. It's tough shit but it's reality.

Edited by dentalplan

That's not where it falls down, that's actually the point I was getting at. Not that pleasing the target audience is a problem, just the target audience itself, probably more 15-18 than 16-21 now, is the problem. But I guess its a strategy that shifts tickets... oh wait...

I also think there are bands on the NME stage who could have traded slots with them and the line-up would have looked a little more traditional in terms of balance.

As it is, The Vaccines and BBC are huge right now. BBC are fantastic and The Vaccines, while a little shallow, will be great on the main stage.

Talking about the festival going a certain way is redundant. Its aimed at 16-21 year olds or thereabouts and so new bands are rightly given the spotlight.

I'd take The Vaccines and BBC over The Offspring everyday. The other sub is the Kaiser Chiefs, and to me, that is ridiculous. Such a poor band.

That's not where it falls down, that's actually the point I was getting at. Not that pleasing the target audience is a problem, just the target audience itself, probably more 15-18 than 16-21 now, is the problem. But I guess its a strategy that shifts tickets... oh wait...

No one has said they shouldn't be given the spotlight, but to put them there with such weak back catalogues is a very very strange decision. Again with r+l line-ups, there seems to be something missing between the subs and thirds (that's one of the things anyway.) I don't think there's ever been a problem with R+L giving new acts a spotlight without taking away from the rest of the line-up.

In terms of crowd response, although I can only speak for Leeds, I would agree.

The sound was awful for them at Leeds, the bass drum was hugely distorted and it came through too loud. I was disappointed because I absolutely adore The National.