BLUR? Just Maybe?

Guest westwardhoboy

13 minutes ago, stuie said:

If Blur came back to Glasto and did anything substandard compared to 2009 it would be a travesty. 

Would it be substandard though if it was just a different type of set?, it's not a headline set so it's not a comparable thing.

For me I'm split as I never saw either of them at Glastonbury but I'd take a hits Killers set all day over Blur.

11 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I'm assuming the Coachella money offer was just too big to turn down given it flies in the face of what they were saying about only wanting to play new venues and do new things.

Yeah, my thoughts too. Plus they haven't done USA on this tour, so I suspect this is a one-off. Little warm up date out there a few days before, do a TV show in between, job done!

1 hour ago, stuie said:

If Blur came back to Glasto and did anything substandard compared to 2009 it would be a travesty. 

Thought they were great last year, best I've seen them since that Pyramid performance. Played Sing as well...which was nice. 

image.png.cd232a3b9f1f81bffc46c62e367fb6e4.png

28 minutes ago, Toilet Duck said:

Thought they were great last year, best I've seen them since that Pyramid performance. Played Sing as well...which was nice. 

image.png.cd232a3b9f1f81bffc46c62e367fb6e4.png

Wembley went into my top 10 ever, and I definitely came away thinking Glastonbury again might actually be a good idea. The new songs were good, the way they were on stage was different to what I've seen before with how happy they were. Just need tickets now if it happens!!

2 hours ago, stuie said:

There's no way anything they could do would be anything other than substandard compared to 2009 given the context around that gig. 

You just have to set expectations. For me it would still be a load of songs I love from a band I love in the place I love most of all, a proper sing-along and a bit of nostalgia. Would love to see them back on the farm.

Selfishly, the songs I would want blur to play in a non-headline slot are pretty much anything except the big singles. 

2009 was incredible and so was Wembley last year. 

Now I would be more interested in stuff other than girls and boys, park life, country house, song 2. 

a set without those would be perfect. 

24 minutes ago, glimmers_of_hope said:

Selfishly, the songs I would want blur to play in a non-headline slot are pretty much anything except the big singles. 

2009 was incredible and so was Wembley last year. 

Now I would be more interested in stuff other than girls and boys, park life, country house, song 2. 

a set without those would be perfect. 

The warm up gigs last year had a few MLIR era deep cuts.

I went to Wolverhampton and then Wembley, much preferred the first one.

3 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I'm assuming the Coachella money offer was just too big to turn down given it flies in the face of what they were saying about only wanting to play new venues and do new things.

Given the prime slot Gorillaz got at Coachella 2023, and Damon being onstage with Billie Eilish at Coachella in 2022..I think it's a pretty important relationship to his continuing US career. 

I don't think there's much for them to be gained playing Glastonbury in 2024.  Think of when they played The Brits in 2012ish and there was various social media whingeing about the vocals blah blah, mostly by people totally unaccustomed to what live rock music singing typically sounds like.

3 hours ago, gherkin8r said:

There's no other way anything they could do would be anything other than substandard compared to 2009 given the context around that gig. 

You just have to set expectations. For me it would still be a load of songs I love from a band I love in the place I love most of all, a proper sing-along and a bit of nostalgia. Would love to see them back on the farm.

Corrected for you 

• Upvote 3

I actually don’t think Inwould go if they headlined. 2009 was so utterly special and such a specific moment in time it couldn’t be matched.

Doubt it’s them though. Taking Coachella coin and getting a bit of American visibility is one thing. But then going back on ‘wanting to do new things’ as far as playing somewhere they probably shouldn’t play again and have never seen all that keen to seems a stretch.

30 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I dunno about 'all that keen'  

Damon is very much in the circle of trust alongside yer Jarvis, Chris, Guy and Thoms.

Oh yeah, but despite that they’ve played almost everywhere else since without going back. Cant find it right now but I thought Damon said something once about doubting whether following 2009 was a good idea