Glasto 2020: Passing the torch?

kalifire

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The festival will grow, it will evolve, it will change.

it will do all these things on it's own, music changes , people change. so the festival changes

i have no opinion good or bad on this , just that I know it happens and I can't stop it, so I am along for the ride

Buckle up and strap yourself in , 

Myself and mrs Amos said 2015 was our last one, this was down to age (we are both in our late 50s) and the fact we were so tired and worn out by the end of it , we took 2016 off to get married  and only returned this year because radiohead on the pyramid was something I felt I must experience, this year was one of if not the best we have had and now we are talking of 2019 and looking forward to it

Few people talking about the magic going, for me that went once I got to know the place like the back of my hand, so after the 3rd or 4th time.

My definition of 'the magic' would be that sense of awe and wonder at everything in this huge place packed full of amazing stuff at every turn. That inevitably wears off as familiarity sets in and you find yourself noting the little changes each year rather than discovering new things.

But as the magic fades away you're still left in the most amazing music playground in the world, with a crazy amount of fun stuff to do almost 24 hours a day. If you love live music I don't think you could possibly find yourself anywhere better.

This year was my 10th, I cannot wait for my 11th :) 

Edited by Junglist1981

isnt the "magic" created by the people, rather than the fancy frippery?

that's why it was still the greatest place on earth even when it was just about going mental to sound systems in the campsites, or tripping at the stone circle to the sound of bongos

Edited by russycarps

4 minutes ago, russycarps said:

that's why it was still the greatest place on earth even when it was just about going mental to sound systems in the campsites, or tripping at the stone circle to the sound of bongos

Exactly. It's got fuck all to do with where it is (other than the comfortable familiarity) - which is why I'd support them moving sites temporarily, or even permanently. 

9 minutes ago, russycarps said:

People are a huge part of it sure, but when you become a little more accustomed to being amongst the people at the festival behaving in festival ways then the magic just becomes good solid fun. The people weren't any more or less magical in 2003 than in 2017. There are still sound systems and bongos all over the place.

I guess the magic is in the overall vibe of the festival. It's strange and unusual at first, but after a while you settle in.

Should be noted that the time I stopped feeling the magic also conicided with my stopping smoking weed and taking mushrooms. I'm sure that's just a coincidence though.

16 minutes ago, UEF said:

Exactly. It's got fuck all to do with where it is (other than the comfortable familiarity) - which is why I'd support them moving sites temporarily, or even permanently. 

Disagree. The location is great, you feel in the middle of nowhere and the hills and bumps lend it perfectly to the festival. It's also really valuable to the local area and gives that area, where not a lot of note regularly happens, something to look forward and work towards. The festival is important for locals, of which I'm just about one. 

Just to say that I think @Junglist1981 & @russycarps are both on a similar wavelength to me in slightly different ways. 

The reason people will say it's not as good as it used to be is partly about euphoric recall, the law of disminishing returns. All experiences, just like all drugs, have less and less effect over time. The joy of Glastonbury is the ability to keep finding new ways to do it. If you keep trying to recreate the first one you are destined for disappointment. The challenge is to discover your 40something festival, your 50something festival and so on.......

After a while, I have felt that missing the odd one has kept it alive for me. Much better to do that than keep going out of FOMO but slowly turn onto one of the people in the comments section of national newspapers who say they used to go before it sold its soul. 

If you have started to notice the things that annoy you more than the things you love whilst you are there. Take a little time off from it and let it draw you back. Don't push yourself through the point where you never want to come back. 

I think we can fall into a trap of thinking missing one makes us 'less Glastonbury'. That's bollocks really.

1 hour ago, russycarps said:

To be honest I would prefer this as never got the "we need to be entertained" lark.... as long as the company is good you can have fun wherever imo 

On 7/3/2017 at 1:52 PM, shuttlep said:

The festival will grow, it will evolve, it will change.

it will do all these things on it's own, music changes , people change. so the festival changes

i have no opinion good or bad on this , just that I know it happens and I can't stop it, so I am along for the ride

Buckle up and strap yourself in , 

I'm out of upvotes but i love this!!

Every year on the Sunday sat by the tents in big ground my mate comes up

" I have had a good run"

"Pass the batton to the young uns "

"Its their festival now "

"Its been great but its a young kids festival "

42 and 3rd festival. Different experiences each time, but I have had thoughts that perhaps I should bow out now. I love listening to @Brave Sir Robin's playlist and discovering new or lesser known bands, and this year was somewhat influenced by my children's taste in music. 

I'm quite happy with leaving the SE corner to the young 'un's and just heading back after the headliners, often coming across something that interests.

As someone said above I think the bookers need to consider the size of crowd acts are likely to draw, people will be a lot less arsey when not crammed in - obviously sometimes they will get it wrong and the bands maybe enjoy it looking packed, I don't know.  But compared to my last 2 fests it seemed more of an issue this year.

I don't think you can generalise that (however annoying) the chair and blanket brigade are not having a good time, they're just doing it their way, and just because it's not your way doesn't make it wrong.

Headliners is a tricky one, with the love on here for the likes of bowie, Floyd, Zeppelin I think excluding older acts would be a shame. Maybe less recycling of acts that have headlined before ie. Coldplay and Muse last year, which would then give the bookers opportunity to give other acts the chance. The way tickets are so oversubscribed they could take a few more risks, though as someone else said there will always be the moaners. Trouble is the festival market is currently so saturated there is pressure to get big names in.

38 minutes ago, slash's hat said:

I don't think you can generalise that (however annoying) the chair and blanket brigade are not having a good time, they're just doing it their way, and just because it's not your way doesn't make it wrong.

That's fine where it works both ways. What annoys people is the chair and blanket brigade tutting or even kicking off when you need to get past them or want to stand  or dance in front of them. It is the 'possession of the space' (and the bit in front of it) that is the problem, not the sitting down per se. If you find you are sitting somewhere where people keep accidentally falling over or bumping into you, I think you should consider moving. At regular gigs, people sit above and behind those who want to stand, not in the middle of the mosh pit, or the edge of the stalls stopping everyone else getting in.

When my mum came with us we had chairs, but we let people through, and when it got busy we packed our stuff up. Many could take note of this. 

Let the chair people have their festival by all means, but it works both ways, they also need to let everyone else have theirs, and too often, the complaint is that they don't.

On 03/07/2017 at 4:24 PM, russycarps said:

And why it is on the Wednesday and Thursday before anything actually happens.

This was my 21st Glastonbury in a row. I can honestly say that I had as much fun and made as many memories at this one as that first one back in 1993. The place is a goldmine of experiences. 

I honestly don't think it should require as much thought as to whether you go or not (unless you have to consider more practical issues such as kids etc). Just see where life takes you and where you're at when the next t-day finally comes around and decide then, after all the next Glastonbury is not for another 2 years and everyone's lives will change to at least some degree.

On 03/07/2017 at 5:38 PM, amfy said:

Just to say that I think @Junglist1981 & @russycarps are both on a similar wavelength to me in slightly different ways. 

The reason people will say it's not as good as it used to be is partly about euphoric recall, the law of disminishing returns. All experiences, just like all drugs, have less and less effect over time. The joy of Glastonbury is the ability to keep finding new ways to do it. If you keep trying to recreate the first one you are destined for disappointment. The challenge is to discover your 40something festival, your 50something festival and so on.......

After a while, I have felt that missing the odd one has kept it alive for me. Much better to do that than keep going out of FOMO but slowly turn onto one of the people in the comments section of national newspapers who say they used to go before it sold its soul. 

If you have started to notice the things that annoy you more than the things you love whilst you are there. Take a little time off from it and let it draw you back. Don't push yourself through the point where you never want to come back. 

I think we can fall into a trap of thinking missing one makes us 'less Glastonbury'. That's bollocks really.

I had to take on off last year due to paying for home improvements, returned this year and the magic was definitely there, I also took it easier than I did in 2015 when I made a mess of my mind. 

I seem to find new things every year that restore the magic, it's sometimes harder when the bands are on I think , but walking through the wood for the first time this year on the Thursday just felt magical, especially as we had accidentally timed it with the lighting of the communal camp fire. I had friends ringing me from the kaz bar asking me to join them but no way, things like that make Glastonbury unique.

I also think the T&C fields have that quality as well, if your feeling low or like Glasto has lost its spark just head there.

Thens there's the views on a night with everything lit up, walking to where we were camped near Gate A every night, pure magic every night just standing for a few minutes and taking it all in 

Part of the charm of the festival to me is the inclusiveness. I love raving in the SE corner and turning around and seeing the sweetest 60y/o lady doing the same. I see her and I think "I hope that will be me". 

I do think silver Hayes needs a good bit of work. This was the first time I spent a night over there and it did nothing for me. Something about it is just a bit off and I'm honestly not sure what. It needs more whimsy or mystery or Something? 

As for the lineup, I found it a bit disappointing this year. When the lineup came out I was absolutely thrilled, but then the schedule came out and I thought a lot of the stage placings were wrong. I had almost nothing I wanted to see during the days and then clashes on clashes at night. 

Also, being on the younger side, I really enjoy seeing some of the older acts I listened to when I was young. I think it goes along with the inclusiveness. 

That being said, Florence and/or The XX in 2019/2020 would please me. It really seems like many of the "millennial emergent" acts take a long time to rise to the top. Unless they're mainstream radio stuff that I don't prefer. 

2 hours ago, MetaKate said:

Part of the charm of the festival to me is the inclusiveness. I love raving in the SE corner and turning around and seeing the sweetest 60y/o lady doing the same. I see her and I think "I hope that will be me". 

I do think silver Hayes needs a good bit of work. This was the first time I spent a night over there and it did nothing for me. Something about it is just a bit off and I'm honestly not sure what. It needs more whimsy or mystery or Something? 

As for the lineup, I found it a bit disappointing this year. When the lineup came out I was absolutely thrilled, but then the schedule came out and I thought a lot of the stage placings were wrong. I had almost nothing I wanted to see during the days and then clashes on clashes at night. 

Also, being on the younger side, I really enjoy seeing some of the older acts I listened to when I was young. I think it goes along with the inclusiveness. 

That being said, Florence and/or The XX in 2019/2020 would please me. It really seems like many of the "millennial emergent" acts take a long time to rise to the top. Unless they're mainstream radio stuff that I don't prefer. 

Silver Hayes always feels disjointed to me, the stages don't have any flow or go together, then there's the problem of sound bleed in certain areas. 

Id move bbc introducing as it doesn't fit with what they are actually trying to do in there. 

I've never liked the sonic tent and it's weird shape, think it's great for The heds party but not for watching acts on it.

The other stages in there are great, the blues is one of my favourite stages at the festival and the gully is cool but there's nothing that links all the stages together.

I would like to plan to go to Glastonbury 2020 for the 50th. But that is 3 years from now and I am getting older. So it would depend on a few things. Whether I am in good health by then and physically able to carry my stuff in being the major factoe. Tangerine fields this year made the logistics of coming from Canada a lot easier. 

I spent this year wandering around sort of lost much of the time and missed out on a few things and bands I would have liked to have seen especially on the smaller stages. Getting from stage to stage was a big factor in itself. I have my genres of music that I prefer but I am pretty open to all sorts of music and I am happy to go see someone new as well as old favourites.