• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The pledge on its own will do little extra in my opinion. It needs further enforcement in some way. I've heard of other festivals having a litter bond which you have to pay with your ticket but get back on satisfying a condition i.e bringing a bag of rubbish back

Toilets in the campsite on a morning are bad for ques but aside from that when you're out & about the toilet provision is more than adequate and you rarely que except for the SE Corner. 

Edited by Memory Man

1 hour ago, sunnydaysblue said:

I would never dream of weeing in public like some Glastonbury folk people do. That said I am a woman. Maybe that's the problem - it's too easy for men to carry out this act. It's quite unpleasant to see little willys out everywhere streaming away :rolleyes::wacko:

Hi Sunny :) 

Sadly gender makes no difference when it comes to poor attitudes in this respect. Whilst I accept that it is easier for men to urinate where they want, it doesn't mean that it's purely a male issue...I've seen women doing this on many occasions. During the Stones set at the Pyramid in 2013 I was standing close to the men's urinals (near the ice cream van on the Cider Bus side of the field) when two women went into the men's loos. When they realised they were in the wrong place they just pulled down their knickers, squatted down and pissed in the entrance to the toilets, meaning that everyone who went in there afterwards had to walk through their piss.

I don't know how they could do it, there's probably no simple way, but serious offenders should have their registrations frozen for 12 months. There's absolutely no fucking excuse for it. Much is spoken about those who "deserve" a ticket. If you pollute the land, be it by not using one of the many hundreds of bins, leaving your tents/gazebos in the campsite or your fold up chairs in any of the fields you don't deserve a ticket. It's simple. Apart from leaving on the Monday morning, the disgusting level of rubbish left behind is the most depressing aspect of the festival

I've had a go at a few people for pissing on the farm, one bloke ladt year was going straight of the path next to Bella's Bridge into the stream.

You just get abuse or blamk looks. Good luck to these new piss monitors, shaming people is the way to go.

Saw a few lads pissing at the side of The Park stage get a shed load of abuse off a few other people, great stuff.

Does Glastonbury do the take you cups back and get ten pence in return thing they do at other festivals. Managed to stretch a couple of extra pints over the weekend out of that at prior festivals. Think its a good idea. Id normally take my cups back if I was going to the bar anyway but the extra incentive must help a fair bit in the longrun. 

42 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Good luck to these new piss monitors, shaming people is the way to go.

Saw a few lads pissing at the side of The Park stage get a shed load of abuse off a few other people, great stuff.

Shaming is the way to go and we all have our part to play. Sure they are either wasted or shameless, and will probably tell you to fuck off, but you might make a small difference by confronting people. I've been doing it for years.

The most effective way is by shouting as loud as you can "Look at the dirty bastard(s) who won't use toilets like the rest of us". This will most often get a round of "boohs" and derision from others around you. Mass shaming is a lot more effective than doing it on your own - this is what the green police used to do very well.

In saying this, Glastonbury could still do with more toilets generally. The worst place/time is the Stone Circle field on the Weds night before, during and after the fireworks. People pissing everywhere, every year.

Whilst were talking piss stories I remember at Big Weekend in Sunderland people were pissing up against the barrier all day, by about five it started to rain, got drenched. I noticed later a group sliding through this stream thinking it was just all of the rain. 

Good incentive not to puddle slide. 

1 hour ago, Pear_Cider said:

When they realised they were in the wrong place they just pulled down their knickers, squatted down and pissed in the entrance to the toilets, meaning that everyone who went in there afterwards had to walk through their piss.

Jeeeeeezzz!!! :huh:

I'd rather try and use one of those she-pees again than do that. And there is absolutely nothing good about those. 

2 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Side issue: any males sit down for a wee at home? I find it quite relaxing if I'm not in a hurry. Sit down, send some texts, it's very civilised.

Bring back hanging for those who piss/litter/leave behind camping equipment.

I pretty much never stand up for a piss anymore. Figured I enjoy those 15 minutes peace sat down whilst I'm having a shit, I needed to extend my bathroom lock-ins.

1 hour ago, Glastoboy said:

Shaming is the way to go and we all have our part to play. Sure they are either wasted or shameless, and will probably tell you to fuck off, but you might make a small difference by confronting people. I've been doing it for years.

The most effective way is by shouting as loud as you can "Look at the dirty bastard(s) who won't use toilets like the rest of us". This will most often get a round of "boohs" and derision from others around you. Mass shaming is a lot more effective than doing it on your own - this is what the green police used to do very well.

Let me tell you a little story about what has happened to me twice while driving a car recently. So there I am the first time driving home from one side of Birmingham to another side. There's heavy traffic but I don't mind because I know I'm going to be seeing my wife soon, and that makes me happy. Then, completely out of the blue, the urge to urinate takes over me. However, this isn't the usual old I can keep this in until I get home, or to a place where I can piss in private in an appropriate place. This is a 'fuck me, I've got to piss right here right now moment', a situation that I have never encountered before or had any prior knowledge of how to deal with. To be honest it wouldn't have mattered if I had had prior knowledge - I had to piss, and I had to piss right then. So what did I do? I did what I was biologically incapable of avoiding - I pissed myself in the driving seat of the car. 

Then guess what happened about two weeks later? Yep, you've guessed it, the same thing happened and I pissed myself in the driving seat of the car again. It's never happened before, and it hasn't happened since. 

Now if this urge had in the past (or does in the future) come over me while walking along at Glastonbury while not within sufficient range of a toilet, let me ask you what your advice to me would be to do? Would you, in that situation, be brave enough to just piss your pants, or would you get your lad out and piss wherever you could? If it did happen to you and you chose to not piss your own pants, how would you feel if somebody came along and started calling you a dirty bastard, and encouraged others to call you a dirty bastard too? How would  you feel to hear those 'boohs' aimed at you when you really had very little choice? Ever watched a documentary or read a book about an injustice meted out to somebody and they've just had to take it, even though you as the viewer / reader can see that it's wrong, wrong, wrong?

Just saying.

1 hour ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Let me tell you a little story about what has happened to me twice while driving a car recently. So there I am the first time driving home from one side of Birmingham to another side. There's heavy traffic but I don't mind because I know I'm going to be seeing my wife soon, and that makes me happy. Then, completely out of the blue, the urge to urinate takes over me. However, this isn't the usual old I can keep this in until I get home, or to a place where I can piss in private in an appropriate place. This is a 'fuck me, I've got to piss right here right now moment', a situation that I have never encountered before or had any prior knowledge of how to deal with. To be honest it wouldn't have mattered if I had had prior knowledge - I had to piss, and I had to piss right then. So what did I do? I did what I was biologically incapable of avoiding - I pissed myself in the driving seat of the car. 

Then guess what happened about two weeks later? Yep, you've guessed it, the same thing happened and I pissed myself in the driving seat of the car again. It's never happened before, and it hasn't happened since. 

Now if this urge had in the past (or does in the future) come over me while walking along at Glastonbury while not within sufficient range of a toilet, let me ask you what your advice to me would be to do? Would you, in that situation, be brave enough to just piss your pants, or would you get your lad out and piss wherever you could? If it did happen to you and you chose to not piss your own pants, how would you feel if somebody came along and started calling you a dirty bastard, and encouraged others to call you a dirty bastard too? How would  you feel to hear those 'boohs' aimed at you when you really had very little choice? Ever watched a documentary or read a book about an injustice meted out to somebody and they've just had to take it, even though you as the viewer / reader can see that it's wrong, wrong, wrong?

Just saying.

IMG_5336.JPG

2 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Just saying.

Can you imagine if it's your piss that tips the scales for a scientist downstream and the festival closes? 

I've signed the pledge and am an honest man- I would keep to my word and piss myself with pride and honour. 

2 hours ago, Chawk said:

Can you imagine if it's your piss that tips the scales for a scientist downstream and the festival closes? 

I've signed the pledge and am an honest man- I would keep to my word and piss myself with pride and honour. 

2 hours ago, Chawk said:

That's your call.

Can feel like raising awareness is a waste of time and even a little patronising. Can't imagine too many people are unaware of the clean up job they're leaving behind, the waste they've created and the impact on the environment. I'm amazed how many people are happy to spend hundreds on camping equipment only to abandon it. 

The Pledge thing is a lovely idea but hard to enforce. Suppose if people do leave their tickets in their tents with everything else, you could ban em easily enough. Unfortunately, think people need to be either shamed or, more likely, threatened into doing the right thing. No idea what the answer is otherwise. Still, if the Pledge stops one percent leaving their crap, it's as good as start as any.

Awareness can make a difference. Plenty of folk genuinely don't give a fuck, but the ignorant (in the knowledge sense) do exist. In the 90s I didn't know any of the problems caused by so many people pissing. I was from the country and pissing behind a hedge was not only normal, it was completely harmless, since the land I was used to was more than up to the task of making use of urine. So I pissed in the streams, thinking nothing was lost other than my dignity.

In 99/2000 I found out that the pissing was a factor in possibly shutting down the festival I'd grown to love so much and I felt like a right rear. Toilets it was after that. 

I was young and ignorant, all I needed was a little education to see the error of my ways.

As for the rest of them, shame shame shame.

Edited by stuartbert two hats
Shamed by Woffy on another thread.

6 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Just saying.

Wtf? Did you consult your doctor about this at the time? As this is clearly not normal.

What would you have done if you were in a meeting at work or at your kids school play?

So what you're saying is don't judge all the lazy, disrespectful hedge pissers because one of them might have medical issue? Hmmm okaay.

I took a Lenor bottle with me for the first time last year and it's an absolute game changer. Always try to leave a spotless camp, fill the recycling bags and bin anything that isn't recyclable. We also always take our stuff home and if it's not in a salvageable condition we at least take it to the rubbish compounds near the stewards bases.

There will always be people who don't care and getting through to those people is going to be nigh on impossible, pledge or no pledge.  

If I suddenly developed symptoms of urinary incontinence then I think I would first book a doctors appointment....

Then purchase some travel johns so I can enjoy the festival without the stress. I've been desperate for the toilet a few times at the festival, but I need to be an adult and go when I first need it rather than having another pint and wandering in the opposite direction of any toilets. 

I'm also sure that for some people with certain conditions (such as chrohn's or a brain injury with these lasting symptoms) would probably be also to get access to the disabled toilets with a Drs note. 

4 minutes ago, Glastoboy said:

Wtf? Did you consult your doctor about this at the time? As this is clearly not normal.

What would you have done if you were in a meeting at work or at your kids school play?

So what you're saying is don't judge all the lazy, disrespectful hedge pissers because one of them might have medical issue? Hmmm okaay.

No, I didn't consult my doctor. It's only happened twice so far, but if it happens again I will go to see him.

If I was at work then there probably would have been a toilet to rush off to. Otherwise I would have just had to piss myself. There really isn't any other option. Same would go for my kids school play - if I had kids.

With regard to you last sentence can you tell me which words I used or what sentence I constructed to indicate that the appropriate action to take was to not judge 'all the lazy, disrespectful hedge pissers because one of them might have a medical issue'?