Unlikely acts you'd love to see

kalifire

On 17/02/2017 at 11:14 PM, Untz said:

Mr Motivator early doors to shake away that hangover and get yourself prepped for the day ahead.

At 1:30pm.

Did this at Bestival a couple of times. Not many better acts I've seen in pissing down rain than him. 

Also, have I said ABBA yet? 

(And Talking Heads goes without saying)

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On ‎18‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 10:59 AM, Perks said:

It needs to be 9am, as it'll be so hot and sunny we'll have to be out of our tents, morning work out with a morning cider, pissed again by 1.30pm.

he was at bearded theory a couple of times. Never made it to see him. They involved way too much energy.

If the weather is going to be like that, then it needs to be even later to be post midday nap.

On 16/02/2017 at 4:52 PM, bennyhana22 said:

I certainly hope so, Quark.

I've seen them twice - 2013 on the Lake Stage (up and coming, essentially) and they were pretty ordinary, if I'm honest. The sound set up was a bit crap, but they didn't seem hugely well rehearsed! In fairness, it was very early in their time a a band together and pre-first record.

Then the 3rd stage headline slot at Green Man in 2014 and Oh Yes! Sound was phenomenal (the East India Youth headline set on that stage on the Saturday was one of my favourite ever festival sets for sound) and they were toight as a toiger. Their sound is...er...consistent (rather than one-dimensional!), but the songwriting is usually so good as to carry the material to infectious levels.

I'd really like to see them again, especially at Glastonbury. Not sure when that third album is coming but the first two are consistently great bits of indie pop with a nice healthy dollop of Krautrock.

Hope you have a smashing time. Post-gig report expected, please...

:)

Ben

Not good at reviews Ben, but they were indeed bloody outstanding!

6 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

I'm so pleased, Quark! Where did you see them? Did they say 'See you at Glastonbury'?!!

:)

Ben

Saw them at Concorde 2 in Brighton. Glastonbury was not mentioned, but this was the first night of the tour running to the end of April, with a big old gap until they play Deer Shed festival on the 21st July. I reckon they're a good shout for the farm!

2 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

Get in! 

Next gig for me is Stornoway on their (boo) farewell tour, Bristol Colston Hall. Will be bittersweet. A smashing band. Will always remember how thrilled they were with a jam-packed Acoustic tent at GF in 2015 as everyone ran in as the heavens opened on Friday afternoon!

Ben

Ah, think I ran the other way that day and got Dub Pistols at the Glade. Bit of a different vibe! I'd also put DP in the "almost certainly going to appear somewhere" thread :lol:

Got Ten Fe at Green Door Store in Brighton in a couple of weeks, hoping for good things after listening to the debut album.

Enjoy Stornoway, a band I've never seen. Chances of the farm?

• 4 weeks later...

Now the headliners are done, I've started thinking of bands that I would love to see appear at the festival for slots around great venues like Avalon 

They Might be Giants - i've never seen them live, I'd be delighted with this

Buffalo Tom - in the UK early June

Sultans of Ping FC - just for the sheer hell of it

Ned's Atomic Dustbin - 10 years since last appearance at Glastonbury I think

Just two of the four would make it for me....one can dream

My 'Bands I want to see most' list

Tom Waits - tho he'd never do glasto

Dirty Projectors - maybe a Park possibility one year

Flight of the Conchords - Early pyramid/other for laffs

Jonathan Richman - Avalon maybe?

Mr Bungle - Not very glasto-ish, plus prob split up forever...

Mungolian Jet Set - Temple would be epic

Lambchop - prob too old to glasto

Grandaddy - Fingers crossed for Park this year

The Books - Split up and not really a live act

The Floozies - Would be epic somewhere Shangri-La-ish, or Arcadia

Television - Could headline park I guess

Hiss Golden Messenger - Park soon hopefully

Sandro Perri - Would work on Park

Squarepusher - Temple/cave/Block9 prob, would rather he was on his own than with Shobaleader One...

Zammuto - Park if anywhere, not sure if he does many live shows

Lindstrom - Oh god please! somewhere Block9 or Common would go down a treat

Sleater-Kinney - Park, could they headline?

Aquabats - Somewhere Ska-ish... Hell maybe

King Creosote & Jon Hopkins - Not seen them together, would be a lovely Avalon headliner...

Skindred - Late-ish on Hell would be fab

Feist - Prime for Park, new album soon, so this year?

Ought - Park makes sense, maybe after next album happens...

I could add lots to this list, but for now I'm going with 

AC/DC -  they would smash it, probably too late now

Limp Bizkit - Fred durst is a legend/dickhead

Chilis - Never seen them at a festival but on tour they have always been awesome

Faith No More - I would lose my shit at midlife crisis

this is a load of  bands around at the moment who I'd like to play:

Sunflower Bean

kassassian street

Diet Cig

The Anchoress 

Lust for Youth

Lanterns on the Lake

The Dears

Mew

Alphabetic

Desperate Journalist

Parcels

Rose Elinor Douglas

Spoon

Cigarettes After Sex

Rural Zombies

Haley Bonar

21 minutes ago, jparx said:

I think FNM would go down really well at Glastonbury. They're just one of those acts that are really hard to place. They would demand a high slot but I don't think they have enough appeal at Glastonbury to justify it.

Couldn't agree more. Would have to be on other (purely because I don't see them as a pyramid band) and would no doubt want to be high up, but I don't know if they would have enough widespread interest to make it work. Opposite someone like Ed could work, but are they big enough now to headline other?

Counting Crows. I say them every year and they don't crop up, though they did play in 2000.

They'd make great Acoustic headliners, they're making an announcement on Monday which will no doubt rule them out.

Edited by Gnomicide

2 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Counting Crows. I say them every year and they don't crop up, though they did play in 2000.

They'd make great Acoustic headliners. 

On the subject of Counting Crows, one of the few bands where the cover is better than the original. Their version of big yellow taxi is up there. Johnny cash version of hurt is one that also springs to mind (despite the original also being incredible!)

31 minutes ago, TunaBaby said:

Couldn't agree more. Would have to be on other (purely because I don't see them as a pyramid band) and would no doubt want to be high up, but I don't know if they would have enough widespread interest to make it work. Opposite someone like Ed could work, but are they big enough now to headline other?

Difficult one to judge. If it was 2009 off the back of the reunion then it would have worked, but I don't think the interest is there now. They obviously have the songs and the stage presence to pull it off, but I don't think they would represent value for money in terms of how much they would charge versus what the festival would get out of it.