Oasis

mufcok

I can't hear absolutely any link what so ever between acid house and Stone Roses, even with their 3 "danciest tracks"

To say they were influenced by rave culture in respect to their live gigs is fair enough. All that means though is that a load of people took a load of E's and put dj's on before them. Ty that marker, football fans in the late 80's were influenced by rave culture as well.

Musically I can't hear absolutely any link between the Roses and acid house. Fools Gold sounds nothing like Acid house and neither does the Resurrection. In regards to Oasis, at least Noel was a confirmed lover of the Hac and covered a Cartouche tune (Even if that specifically was not an acid house tune) Acid House broke down many barriers and laid the foundations for what came next. But from a purely musical point of view I have never ever heard any link between the Roses and Oasis with Acid House.

It really was a cop out from the media to lump the Roses and to an extent the Mondays in with the Acid House scene. They piggy backed on the back of it and seemed to take all the headlines and glory while the likes of 808 State were the ones really influenced by Acid house and making new and exciting tunes.

1 hour ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

That press release is probably the most pretentious thing I have ever read.... which is pretending not to be.

Hilarious.

I remember listening to be here now for the first time and being really gutted.

I then enjoyed it, I haven't heard it in 12 years... Im digging it out later.

The whole section on All Around The World is brilliant. Noel mocking his peers by waiting three albums to record it...

40 minutes ago, Alan_C said:

I really like Be Here Now. I don't listen to it very often, but when I do I enjoy it. They should have out Stay Young on it instead of Magic Pie though for me. 

Stay Young is a good song but the whole celebratory mood of that and most of the other songs from that period felt a couple of years out of place. I think that's why OK Computer and Urban Hymns took off they way they did as people were in a more introspective mindset. I still think the songs that best hold up from that time are Do You Know What I Mean (which was pretty forward thinking with the use of samples) and Going Nowhere.        

11 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:
Rank Year Title Artist Sales Reference
1 2015 25 Adele 800,307 [32]
2 1997 Be Here Now

Oasis 695,761 [33] 3 2010 Progress Take That 518,601 [34] 4 2005 X&Y Coldplay 464,471 [35] 5 2008 The Circus Take That 432,490 [36] 6 2009 I Dreamed a Dream Susan Boyle 411,820 [37] 7 2003 Life for Rent Dido 400,351 [38] 8 2007 Spirit Leona Lewis 375,872 [39] 9 2005 Intensive Care Robbie Williams 373,832 [40] 10 2006 Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not Arctic Monkeys 363,735 [41]

Difference is Be Here Now was released on a Thursday, and charted on the Sunday. Adele's sales figures were Friday to Friday, a full week's worth of Sales. This probably explains it better: http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/34919975/sorry-adele-oasis-are-still-the-album-chart-record-breakers

Also, there was 18 years between the two albums. So very hard to compare. Adele is huge, but wouldn't say it feels anything like the buzz that was around Oasis 94-97.

13 hours ago, russycarps said:

The only thing to have come anywhere near close is the arctic monkeys with their first album, and that was nothing like the same. Beyonce is incomparable.

Agree with this 100% - No one really cares about Beyonce anymore than you'd care about buying a cheeseburger from McDonalds. I would include Marshall Mathers LP next to Arctic Monkeys in terms of impact in my yooth. Everyone I knew listened to both albums. 

Edited by Tyonks
Messed up entire post - few too many shandys I think...
  • Downvote 1

I think the first Arctic Monkeys album is more comparable with Definitely Maybe in terms of impact, after that Oasis went up another level with and appealed to everyone while the Arctic Monkeys almost intentionally took a step back from that. Although given the popularity of AM their next album might beat the first week sales of their debut. Also off topic a little but with Ed Sheeran being tipped to headline its funny how he's still sold less albums than acts like Dido, James Blunt and Keane.     

Edited by addicted2noise

6 hours ago, plaskins said:

Also, there was 18 years between the two albums. So very hard to compare. Adele is huge, but wouldn't say it feels anything like the buzz that was around Oasis 94-97.

Or, alternatively, Adele's sales are all the more impressive in an era where noone really buys albums any more?

How do you gauge or quantify 'buzz'?  If you were at school or university in 1997, then of course a 2016 album release is going to be treated with general apathy by almost everyone in your peer group.  Cause we're all old men.

52 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Or, alternatively, Adele's sales are all the more impressive in an era where noone really buys albums any more?

How do you gauge or quantify 'buzz'?  If you were at school or university in 1997, then of course a 2016 album release is going to be treated with general apathy by almost everyone in your peer group.  Cause we're all old men.

Tabloid / TV news headlines unfortunately play a part. Everything was full of Oasis. True, it was a simpler time to build hype. No internet really. No youtube. No streaming. You have to queue, which itself becomes an event.

Similar bands / acts play a part. Being part of a movement. "Britpop" was a thing concocted by the press, but it was "real". Any band was britpop. Blur, Pulp, Supergrass, Dodgy, OCS, Cast.... the biggest of these were Oasis. "Their return" was a big thing. (that sounds w*nk, but Its 7am and Ive been up all night)

One Direction have / had much more "buzz" about them than Adele in my opinion. Plus they are part of a musical movement. The X Factor movement, which was a true musical phenomenon. If they return, that will have a similar buzz.

Adele isnt part of one. Duffy was probably her peer. 

Edited by FuzzyDunlop

• 2 months later...
5 minutes ago, reflekting said:

Would be good to see Noel finally make his HFB debut next June http://www.nme.com/news/music/noel-gallagher-sets-deadline-third-solo-lp-1910652 . I'd hope for something a little closer to the first HFB, as I thought Chasing Yesterday, whilst strong in parts wasn't quite so good. 

On that article, it seems it wouldn't be released by then, so doubtful, again.