tickets and how it could be done better

guypjfreak

i DO believe that if youve been 15 or more we should be able to get our tix a day before tix day....i mean if your running a buissiness you lokk after your regulars dont you.

people talk about a lottory system but i really dont think thats fair cos you want to be with your friends .

thoughts

1hour till pub

i hope you got yours btw

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In a lottery system they could assign 50% to people who went last year and 50% to people who didn't. Of course this would probably lead to people who went last year having two sets of registrations. Indeed, in a lottery system I could see people having multiple registrations with their home address, work address, parents' address etc...

i DO believe that if youve been 15 or more we should be able to get our tix a day before tix day....i mean if your running a buissiness you lokk after your regulars dont you.

people talk about a lottory system but i really dont think thats fair cos you want to be with your friends .

thoughts

1hour till pub

i hope you got yours btw

There's no fairer way to do it than what we have now.  It could be argued that someone who's been to 15 or more deserves less of a chance to go again than someone who's tried to get tickets several times, and through no fault of their own, were unsuccessful.

What we have now is a fairly well evolved system - it's staggered slightly to let people have a fair crack at the whip, sells reasonably quickly so that you're not waiting all day, and lends no preference to newcomers or old timers.

Plus - every single year - everyone who really wants a ticket always gets one, as they're always an absolute piece of piss to get in the resale. If you're not interested by April then you didn't want to go.

This usually means "how to adjust the system so that I will be guaranteed a ticket".

Nothing wrong with the system, I got tickets this year (but didn't last). The only adjustment I'd like would be to make ALL tickets go on General Sale, none for corporates or celebs.

This usually means "how to adjust the system so that I will be guaranteed a ticket".

Nothing wrong with the system, I got tickets this year (but didn't last). The only adjustment I'd like would be to make ALL tickets go on General Sale, none for corporates or celebs.

Can't argue with any of that.

I do agree with the principle, although it's not as easy as that - as far as the licence is concerned, hospitality/package tickets come out of the staff allocation and not the general public one. So cutting them down won't automatically result in more tickets going on general sale unless the council approve the increase in numbers. Any licence increase would probably require more camping fields being made available which given the current site problems seems really unlikely.

Next year will be my 9th (so not 15 but the principle is the same), and whilst I'd hate to miss out, I do think such a system would be absolutely dreadful. I don't deserve the chance to go more than other people just because I've been before.

Seeing as you have to re-register every few years, I can't even see how it would be feasible anyway.

This is spot on.

I am now on for my 6th festival. Missed out on 2013's but it was stil "fair". If 300,000 apply and 120,000 tickets are available - people will miss out. A ballot would lead to claims of favoritism and a lack of clarity.

This is a fair and successful system. Unfortunately there will be losers. I have been there.

I do agree with the principle, although it's not as easy as that - as far as the licence is concerned, hospitality/package tickets come out of the staff allocation and not the general public one. So cutting them down won't automatically result in more tickets going on general sale unless the council approve the increase in numbers. Any licence increase would probably require more camping fields being made available which given the current site problems seems really unlikely.

I believe the license is granted for total number of people on the site not just the number of punters (I know this is the case for Kendal Calling) so the reduction in "packaged" tickets could be passed on to the unwashed masses. Of course this might make the individual tickets more expensive I suppose?

I believe the license is granted for total number of people on the site not just the number of punters (I know this is the case for Kendal Calling) so the reduction in "packaged" tickets could be passed on to the unwashed masses. Of course this might make the individual tickets more expensive I suppose?

Apparently both figures are specified by the Glastonbury licence - when the increase to (off the top of my head so could be a bit out) 205,000 was granted a year or so ago, it was reaffirmed by Mendip Council that the public tickets would be capped at 137,500 and that the extra tickets would be to make things easier on the production side.

thoughts

1hour till pub

i hope you got yours btw

Why 15? Why not 20?

Is it because you have been to 15 exactly by any chance? :)

Honestly if you have been to that many and got involved and talked to people and made new friends then you probably know someone who can get you a staff or workers ticket by now.

A ballot system, well policed, would be fairer. The friends thing isn't an issue, as you could join a group of up to say fifty people, or just enter on your own. Every group gets one ballot entry.

A ballot may be fairer,yes, but the festival have gone on record in the past as saying they believe having people put some sort of effort into getting tickets by pee-registering, getting up early and putting up with the web site struggle has its own sort of charm and adds something to the atmosphere/type of people at the festival as they feel lucky and/or rewarded for their effort rather than opening the festival up to a crowd who enter the ballot just for something to do but aren't THAT bothered if they get a ticket...make of that what you want!

One thing that I would be interested in is a charity presale - for example, you could volunteer for Oxfam for, say, 40 hours over the course of the year (you'd have to complete before T Day) in exchange for access to a presale, or you could raise a certain amount of money for Water Aid etc etc.

I think this would be a good way of giving dedicated Glasto goers an edge on getting tickets - those who are desperate to go to Glasto would happily give up their time to volunteer or raise money, and it would be helping charity so very much in the Glastonbury spirit.

Yeah, going to say it's as fair as their able to make it right now, everyone goes in with no favour and takes their luck.  Dedication and preparation might help lift the odds by the tiniest amount and those who aren't organised enough to register and then get up early one morning a year to join the F5 army go without.

Every year people ask me about going, usually the day after ticket sales because they've seen it on the news.  Those same people went on and on about going after they saw it on the telly last year, but when you ask them if they registered you just get a blank look.

I also agree that the festival needs a constant shift in the audience or it becomes stale, hell I feel guilty going back again and again simply because I feel like someone new would both feel more wonder and potentially bring more to the party than I do.

A ballot may be fairer,yes, but the festival have gone on record in the past as saying they believe having people put some sort of effort into getting tickets by pee-registering, getting up early and putting up with the web site struggle has its own sort of charm and adds something to the atmosphere/type of people at the festival as they feel lucky and/or rewarded for their effort rather than opening the festival up to a crowd who enter the ballot just for something to do but aren't THAT bothered if they get a ticket...make of that what you want!

Have they gone on record as saying that? I've done this for over a decade now and don't remember seeing such an interview, so would love to see the source.