Chair People 2015 ...

st dan

... Seemed to be lots of them and I noticed that a lot of them seemed to be very 'arsey' if they were accidentally knocked in to.

There were so many for Lionel it was terrible .. People tripping over them etc. I saw one young girl complain that somebody was stood too close to her chair to which he replied by saying 'you do know this is a music festival, right?'

I understand the need for some to sit down for medical reasons, but there were loads of young and healthy looking people who just looked like they couldn't be bothered standing up.

I think something needs to be done (although I have no idea what?) as it seems to be getting worse year on year.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chair's don't bother me, picnic blankets do. I make a game of seeing how many I can tread on. It's like people try and reserve their own square metre of the field. 

I camp in Row Mead (above Pyramid) and it's a pain in the bum trying to navigate through that field as soon as we reach the Friday. 

Edited by Amii

The picnic in a park people..! Had a group of them between the sound desks at the Pyramid Stage, One girl put down three to four picnic blankets sat on them waiting for all her mates to turn up in the build up to L.Richies set, then shouted and tutted at anyone trying to get through. You needed Go Go Gadget legs to get over them. When they did turn up they then decided to make a circle around the blankets, leaving a massive hole and not allowing anyone in to stand in a big space that wasn't being used.

Lionel ritchie was a sea of 'tutting'

Sunday locals (no offense to anyone) is usually the culprit with chairs I find.

I'm local and did the sunday thing last year. and yes i agree with you, its mostly sunday lot who turn up with the chairs and picnic baskets

and camp out at the pyramid stage. pisses me off a treat. but then I just dont bother going near the main stage on a sunday.

the ques for the bus in the morning are usually full of people holding chairs.

but to be fair its more of a fun day out for the locals.

Edited by sprigpod

The picnic in a park people..! Had a group of them between the sound desks at the Pyramid Stage, One girl put down three to four picnic blankets sat on them waiting for all her mates to turn up in the build up to L.Richies set, then shouted and tutted at anyone trying to get through. You needed Go Go Gadget legs to get over them. When they did turn up they then decided to make a circle around the blankets, leaving a massive hole and not allowing anyone in to stand in a big space that wasn't being used.

I take things like that as a challenge. Like it or not, I'd be in that gap doing the wildest dancing you've ever seen. 

I'm local and did the sunday thing last year. and yes i agree with you, its mostly sunday lot who turn up with the chairs and picnic baskets

and camp out at the pyramid stage. pisses me off a treat. but then I just dont bother going near the main stage on a sunday.

the ques for the bus in the morning are usually full of people holding chairs.

but to be fair its more of a fun day out for the locals.

I think it's a bit of the green-eyed monster. You locals with your fresh pants and full battery's, god damn you!

If i'm honest, it was not the chair people which annoyed me this year it was these lot...

I can not stress how much this annoyed me at the chemical brothers, but if you're gonna bring your bag to a set at night... please don't act so offended when someone (in the dark) trips over it. Multiple times i'd trip or catch my foot on someones bag and they'd look at me all offended.

WHY DO YOU NEED YOUR BAG THERE?? Why do you need a massive bag for a headline slot? I don't think I wandered round with more than sunglasses, phone, wallet and a pocket poncho... what more could you need?

It just annoyed me quite a bit how some acted so offended when a massive rucksack has no place on the ground of a very active nighttime festival performance.

WHY DO YOU NEED YOUR BAG THERE?? Why do you need a massive bag for a headline slot? I don't think I wandered round with more than sunglasses, phone, wallet and a pocket poncho... what more could you need?

Toilet paper, sun cream, hand gel, medicine, drinks, waterproof, water bottle....

I can see why people do it, I probably do it a bit too, but nothing in there that i give a toss about getting kicked or trod in.

I was stood in front of a chair couple for Kanye West.

Kanye West!!

They'd been sat there all day since 1pm, they proudly told me. I asked if it was their first Glasto. They said it was their fifth.

Their fifth!!

Needless to say, the space in front of them gradually filled up until it was useless them sitting down. So they got up but kept their chairs in place behind them. Somebody went to stand on one and got a very loud "NO!!!" barked at them.

Eventually they were forced to fold them up simply for space, but not before they announced Kanye was "terrible" and glared at all around and stormed off.

Edited by kalifire

If i'm honest, it was not the chair people which annoyed me this year it was these lot...

I can not stress how much this annoyed me at the chemical brothers, but if you're gonna bring your bag to a set at night... please don't act so offended when someone (in the dark) trips over it. Multiple times i'd trip or catch my foot on someones bag and they'd look at me all offended.

It just annoyed me quite a bit how some acted so offended when a massive rucksack has no place on the ground of a very active nighttime festival performance.

kinda similar to this, I didn't move much around in the crowds as I just wanted to find a place with lots of space to dance in so tripping over bags didn't happen that much

However dancing next to a bunch of people all wearing full backpacks is annoying as fuck as it restricts you even more. That Kanye crowd near the front was especially bad for it, I was penguined in as it was but then some bellend ends up in front of me forcing his backpack into my face

I carried a chair around on Sunday as my feet were wrecked with blisters, but I made sure to fold it up during the bands and only really sat towards the back anyway. 

You certainly cannot get arsey if someone knocks into your chair. If you decide to take a chair with you, you have to live with the consequences. I also can't understand why people take chairs close to the front of the stage. That just seems baffling. 

1st year we took chairs down to the stages, due to dodgy knees. Tried without on Thursday, and it took at least a three point turn to get back to upright off the grass (not good in a field of people). HOWEVER, chairs were folded up and away as the area around us filled... but noticed plenty others that left their chairs out as some kind of bag depository!

Edited by Mollyanne&Mike

The one which pissed me off, and it happened to me at least 3 times, was people leaving their bags on the floor, then getting extremely angry if you 'kicked' it, even though it's pitch black and all your trying to do is get passed.

'Can't you go another way, mate?

'And shove past a load of people when i could just climb over your bag, which you've left on the floor in the dark?'

'Yeah, but it's my wifes bag, and I don't watch you to climb over it'

Should have just booted it. :rolleyes:

I had someone complain because I accidentally kicked a wet wipe that was on the floor so that it touched his bag.

I decided it was best not to say anything back because I wanted to say

'Your bag is on ground that cows have shat on - why are you worried about a wet wipe?'

Acoustic on Sunday late afternoon was Peak Chair!w*nker. Acres of the JUST outside the tent packed in so there's barely a person's width to get past into or out of the actual venue. Ugh.

(Thanks to the person who left two brand spanking new chairs in John Peel btw - one of the recycling crew was very happy with them!)

Moral of the story, stay away from the pyramid!

That must be the most ridiculous 'moral' a story I've ever heard!! I watch an act I want to see, regardless of what stage they're on.

So you're saying I shouldn't go and watch Lionel Richie, just because he's not on The Glade or the likes?

I will admit I do take a backpack with me...but then I carry plenty of stuff and can't afford to buy beer at the bars all day. However I keep it on my back unless there's loads of space and am not arsed if people kick it. I normally apologise to people trying to get through for being in their way.

The worst for me were the blanket w*nkers at George Ezra, one of my friends wanted to see him but we were slightly late, the amount of blankets was ridiculous one woman was shouting at us for treading on the edge of her blanket, I turned round and said what a demented place to put a blanket, in the middle of the pyramid stage at Glastonbury, soon shut her up.