Headliners 2016

thewayiam

1 minute ago, nban2010 said:

I think some people think that organisers can just pluck anyone out of the air...

Considering the limited number of acts who havn't headlined yet, I think the trio of Adele, Coldplay and Muse is pretty huge, especially when comparing last year's bill. Adele is literally the biggest thing on the planet right now, and Coldplay is the biggest British band around. Yes, Muse might be a bit uninspired but they are such a live favourite that they are sure to go down amazingly.

If organisers had gone down some inspired route and gone for, let's say, Queen, there would've been much to be said about that too. 

Either way, if it is indeed those three, objectively speaking, it's all in all a strong trio.

so out of all the acts in the world the bookers couldnt find anyone other than 2 bands who have already played umpteen times before?

come on, even you cant believe that.

• Replies 15.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

My positive to take out of Adele headlining is the fact that the missus will want to watch her so I'll watch someone better and not feel guilty for dragging the missus along with me.

Or, you agree to go and watch it giving you a free pass to drag her to something.... 

Edited by Stretlow

I don't think any one would dispute they're a 'strong' trio in terms of worldwide mass popularity, but my (and it seems plenty of others) issue is the blandness of all three together. 

From the festivalspoint of view Adele is an amazing booking and it's not surprising they've gone for it, the problem is that to counteract the negative aspect of such a booking they really had to pull something exciting out the bag for one of the other nights. Muse and Coldplay don't do that because they've played before and are the very definition of safe. 

11 minutes ago, sisco said:

I can 100% understand Glastonbury wanting Adele (actually quite like her myself), however is it someone I want to see at 11pm completely hammered?! Probably not!

Will all depend who is on against her I suppose! 

That said, fantastic booking for the festival if they have her.

the millions of hammered people watching her from theirs sofas with a bottle of wine will be delighted however.

1 minute ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

I don't think any one would dispute they're a 'strong' trio in terms of worldwide mass popularity, but my (and it seems plenty of others) issue is the blandness of all three together. 

From the festivalspoint of view Adele is an amazing booking and it's not surprising they've gone for it, the problem is that to counteract the negative aspect of such a booking they really had to pull something exciting out the bag for one of the other nights. Muse and Coldplay don't do that because they've played before and are the very definition of safe. 

the worrying thing is if the festival actually believe they've booked 3 exciting acts.

I am pleased an act like adele is the most popular artist in the world. It just reinforces the fact that those of us who recognise she's dreary shite are better than the general population. 

Not that we needed reminding, but I suppose it's nice to bask in the smugness every now and then.

Adele is the biggest act on the planet at the moment: British (not like that should matter but some people always want that). She should get the gig. I find her bland, but it is a different headliner.

Muse - I used to be into, but they have gone right off the boil and have done it twice. No.

Coldplay... Boring AND done it 3 times. No thanks. And Chris Martin is a smug get.

Edited by FuzzyDunlop

i can see why they would go for adele if she's available.

but on the other hand, to a forum of music fans/glastonbury regulars on here, it is a bit of a strange booking. don't remember dido, david gray, norah jones etc being offered headline slots at their peaks and they were all massive sellers too

9 minutes ago, maarrkk said:

but on the other hand, to a forum of music fans/glastonbury regulars on here, it is a bit of a strange booking. don't remember dido, david gray, norah jones etc being offered headline slots at their peaks and they were all massive sellers too

Not worldwide sellers like Adele.

It's a massive coup for the festival if she plays. 

I don't really buy the 'biggest act' argument - Mariah? Bieber? Who else qualifies? I always thought the headliners should be based on the artistic merits as well, although appreciate they need to fill a field. Adele - she seems nice and has a great voice, but it's music who buy CD's in Tesco isn't it? Glastonbury is diverse and brilliant, but I still hoped it wouldn't be as dull as this choice for headliners. 

Neither Mariah or Bieber are British though. There's no getting away from the fact that a British female solo artist being the biggest in the world currently is a big deal. As other's have said above, despite what we may think about her music her booking is a coup for the festival and will be recognised as such around the world. 

3 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

Neither Mariah or Bieber are British though. There's no getting away from the fact that a British female solo artist being the biggest in the world currently is a big deal. As other's have said above, despite what we may think about her music her booking is a coup for the festival and will be recognised as such around the world. 

Just think if it's the only [televised] festival she headlines next year. Bloody hell. It will be the biggest booking Glastonbury has ever made by a great distance.

34 minutes ago, maarrkk said:

One of Adele's great successes is that, unlike those you mention, she somehow manages to retain some cred with da' youth, while simultaneously pleasing Radio 2 listeners.

16 minutes ago, Yokel Again said:

I don't really buy the 'biggest act' argument - Mariah? Bieber? Who else qualifies? I always thought the headliners should be based on the artistic merits as well, although appreciate they need to fill a field. Adele - she seems nice and has a great voice, but it's music who buy CD's in Tesco isn't it? Glastonbury is diverse and brilliant, but I still hoped it wouldn't be as dull as this choice for headliners. 

welcome to the glastonbury of the 2010s...

nowadays record sales, radio play and popularity among the masses are all that's important. Even among posters on this forum!

A lot of people here think, with a straight face, that take that would made a good headliner. And rhianna, and katy perry. The festival and the attendees have changed, sadly.