Headliners 2016

thewayiam

1 hour ago, sisco said:

Am I completely wrong or didn't Emily make some sort of statement about the Sunday and being very surprised who they got to play? (Something along those lines).

apart from ELO that day, the surprise of Muse then Coldplay would be pretty big (travesty to me personally as don't like Coldplay but there you go)

• Replies 15.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

Been thinking about the headliner situation this morning and,  while there’s nothing earth shattering or controversial below, decided to rate them all in my order of likelihood (DISCLAIMER: This is based on no greater insight than stuff I’ve read on here, mixed with a healthy bit of conclusion jumping and therefore should not be taken seriously be anyone)

Did I miss anyone?

Biffy Clyro?  I know theres that 'the festival doesnt consider them big enough' line going around, but Biffy Clyro / Radiohead / Coldplay doesn't look too unrealistic to me.

2 hours ago, eFestivals said:

the word I heard on Muse was that they'd be playing the same day as Coldplay - which seems to be the Sunday. So that would match your thinking.

Whether what I heard is true or not is another thing entirely.

Does the fact that Muse are still SR on the Friday mean that you aren't putting that much faith into what you've heard - yet.

There is still something about Biffy saying they are playing a "handful" of UK festivals this year. Whilst nothing suggests they are going to play Glasto, to me, the only other option really, is RandL. 

Unless, Biffy are the secret band at Reading and Leeds? Secret band this year, headline it next year. 

If all 4 (Radiohead, Adele, Muse and Coldplay) get announced it would be the most ridiculously strong set of headliners ever (whether you like them or not)

In fact, even if 3 of those 4 get announced, it would still be the most ridiculously strong set of headliners ever

Other festival organisers will by cryiing in their sleep

Just now, dingbat2 said:

If all 4 (Radiohead, Adele, Muse and Coldplay) get announced it would be the most ridiculously strong set of headliners ever (whether you like them or not)

In fact, even if 3 of those 4 get announced, it would still be the most ridiculously strong set of headliners ever

Other festival organisers will by cryiing in their sleep

You think Muse, Adele and Coldplay would be the most ridiculously strong set of headliners ever? This thread has mostly been bemoaning that trio for months.

10 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

so that's Muse, Foals and Disclosure that, if rumours/guesswork are right, we've nicked from Reading/Leeds headliners to play lower slots? i don't see it - if Reading have Muse they'll have em tied right down as an exclusive because they seemingly haven't done it with Foals or Disclosure

I can't believe that Disclosure as well are at least on the rumor page for Glasto, what are R&L trying to do? That's potentially only one of their headers actually only playing there if Muse is right....and then RHCP could be at T going on recent things.

12 minutes ago, michael eavis' beard said:

Does the fact that Muse are still SR on the Friday mean that you aren't putting that much faith into what you've heard - yet.

I'm not putting much faith in it. I'm pretty certain that Muse were part of Glasto's headliner plans at one point, even if they're not now.

But then again, if RH are headlining and Muse are playing, where are Muse going to play?

So I can't really dismiss it either. It's not impossible, even if it's unlikely.

5 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

I can't believe that Disclosure as well are at least on the rumor page for Glasto, what are R&L trying to do? That's potentially only one of their headers actually only playing there if Muse is right....and then RHCP could be at T going on recent things.

Reading and Leeds, I think, generally have one UK exclusive, and one English exclusive, and the 3rd may or may not be tied down. It still could be that, depending on who the 3rd headliner is.

At the end of the day, despite what R/L might like to do with exclusivity, they have to accept that bands might wish to play other shows.

1 minute ago, Festival Liam said:

"Ha remember that year we thought Muse might sub Coldplay" might go down with "Remember when we debating if Emeli Sande could headline" from last year.

Talking of Emeli Sande ... her real name is Adele... maybe there's been some confusion down the line?! :o

so what you're saying is, that, unlike everyone else here, I'm just not allowed to mindlessly speculate about possibilities? :P

3 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

We were trying to think of possible women headliners that no one had considered yet. She was one. It wasn't my best idea, I admit, she was about the next one after all those we'd already considered. It was 'Mr blue sky' thinking.

Fixed that for you, Neil.

As a razor, me...

:)

Ben

30 minutes ago, endswithMJ said:

There is still something about Biffy saying they are playing a "handful" of UK festivals this year. Whilst nothing suggests they are going to play Glasto, to me, the only other option really, is RandL. 

Unless, Biffy are the secret band at Reading and Leeds? Secret band this year, headline it next year. 

Biffy could easily sub to Muse at RL, surely? I get they are more or less a headline act nowadays, but I'm sure they wouldn't be offended if they were asked to sub Muse. 

It suddenly seems very likely and plausible that Muse are headlining RL. It would be a huge coup for Glastonbury if they end up playing an announced set as well.

9 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Reading and Leeds, I think, generally have one UK exclusive, and one English exclusive, and the 3rd may or may not be tied down. It still could be that, depending on who the 3rd headliner is.

At the end of the day, despite what R/L might like to do with exclusivity, they have to accept that bands might wish to play other shows.

Tbh though, I think what they need to do is aim higher for people paying out £215+. It's not just that their acts might want to play other shows, its the fact that acts they are booking to headline in some way are seen/booked at a lower level at other feativals. What chance for eg does R&L have if Disclosure and Foals were relevealed in April as lower than heading acts for 160+ potential ticket holders when they still have 4+ months to sell tickets? Do they want to actually keep Leeds going?, you mentioned a while ago about Reading choosing who they have and saying no to someone bigger?. If they don't manager to get even 1 header on a UK exclusive show it's going to look bloody weak, The Libs are a bigger deal and they only got released on the day.

7 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

so what you're saying is, that, unlike everyone else here, I'm just not allowed to mindlessly speculate about possibilities? :P

I'm with him below on that, suggesting Emeli Sande wasn't your finest moment ;P

4 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

That was a low point, you have to admit ;)

33 minutes ago, endswithMJ said:

I reckon they'll do Big Weekend as one of them. Not sure beyond that, was thinking BST but that's clearly not happening.

1 hour ago, Couchy said:

Muse want to play Glastonbury but already booked for R&L so won't be announced.

I'd have thought that R&L need Muse more than Muse need R&L so would be surprised if they Muse accepted an 'exclusive' contract preventing them from other UK festivals. I suppose they might have a gentleman's agreement to not announce Glastonbury until after the resale.

1 minute ago, thewayiam said:

Tbh though, I think what they need to do is aim higher for people paying out £215+. It's not just that their acts might want to play other shows, its the fact that acts they are booking to headline in some way are seen/booked at a lower level at other feativals. What chance for eg does R&L have if Disclosure and Foals were relevealed in April as lower than heading acts for 160+ potential ticket holders when they still have 4+ months to sell tickets? Do they want to actually keep Leeds going?, you mentioned a while ago about Reading choosing who they have and saying no to someone bigger?. If they don't manager to get even 1 header on a UK exclusive show it's going to look bloody weak, The Libs are a bigger deal and they only got released on the day.

I'm with him below on that, suggesting Emeli Sande wasn't your finest moment ;P

There's all sorts of different things a festival has to weight up.

But firstly, it's very normal for a smaller festival to have headline acts that are less-than-headliner at a bigger festival. OK, it's not too normal for R/L in the same summer, but R/L normally have their acts tied down and this time they might not have for whatever reasons.

I've been led to believe they chose not to book a bigger act in preference to Foals/Disclosure, which may or may not be true. But if so, there's all sorts of different reasons for why they might have made that choice.

It might be (say) that they've heard the new albums of Foals and Disclosure and know they're both going to go absolutely massive before the festival happens. Sounds unlikely? I know for a fact this sort of thing happens, from what bookers have told me.

Or it might be a 'cool' factor that Reading wants around it, where that bigger band isn't 'cool' enough for the festival to look good in the future.

Or it might be the various prices for each band, where a cheaper price allows improvements elsewhere on the bill.

Etc, etc, etc.

Just now, Keithy said:

I'd have thought that R&L need Muse more than Muse need R&L so would be surprised if they Muse accepted an 'exclusive' contract preventing them from other UK festivals. I suppose they might have a gentleman's agreement to not announce Glastonbury until after the resale.

Yep, and on the other hand Glastonbury really have no need for Muse as it'd be a shockingly awful booking to have them headline this year. But if they're that keen to play they might take a 'special guest' slot. Not saying it's likely but it checks out logically.