Headliners 2016

thewayiam

20 minutes ago, across97 said:

What do people think about the Libertines headlining? Played a surprise set  this year and seemed to go down quite well, and they've been rumoured ever since the reunion. Not quite sure it would happen, but would anybody be shocked to hear that?

never gonna happen. it may have been a secret set this year, but they still subbed the Pyramid - why would they bring a sub back the following year to headline? The Libertines headlining Glastonbury always seemed unlikely though - the circumstances this year was the perfect situation for them to play

• Replies 15.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Bands releasing an EP a few months after an album are usually just getting rid of the songs that didn't make the cut.  A few years back they would have been the b-sides to the singles. 

I'd rather a separate EP than the "Special Edition" album with all the extra crap released when the original's sales start to flag.

2 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I'd rather a separate EP than the "Special Edition" album with all the extra crap released when the original's sales start to flag.

agree. although i don't buy much music these days, was always infuriating being a fan and buying the album when it was released, only for a special/deluxe edition to be released a year later with all this extra stuff on it. an EP (free, in this case) is how it should be done

18 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

I've resigned myself to Coldplay, but if Foo Fighters are out, I'm not sure on the other 2.

Adele just doesn't seem likely to me. I don't know why, but I can't see it. 

Stone Roses, Reni said no to someone (Wooderson)

Muse didn't in 2015, so not sure why they would in 2016.

I agree with this, though I think it's mainly out of hope than expectation. I think coldplay and muse in the same year are really unlikely. Two huge stadium-sized acts in the same year seems implausible to me. They are by far the two biggest bands in the uk at the moment, so I just cant see them both playing in the same year.

I am leaning towards fleetwood mac. I think when they signed up to isle of wight last year they told M Eavis they'd come to glastonbury the year after, which fits with all his chat about getting everyone signed up early.

The third headliner is a mystery though. Perhaps it will be adele, but it seems like even she realises those dreary songs on the pyramid wont work. I dont think it will be stones roses as I think it sounds like the headliners were sorted before their come back was announced (assuming the headliners being booked early chat isnt a lie) and I dont think doing glastonbury is particularly high up their list of priorities.

Of course all the above is based on absolutely fuck all!

Edited by russycarps

4 minutes ago, russycarps said:

I agree with this, though I think it's mainly out of hope than expectation. I think coldplay and muse in the same year are really unlikely. Two huge stadium-sized acts in the same year seems implausible to me. They are by far the two biggest bands in the uk at the moment, so I just cant see them both playing in the same year.

usually i'd agree with you on this point, but from the sounds of it, they had Foos pencilled in until they decided they weren't gonna tour next year. assuming they already had Coldplay booked, it could be the case that they decided to book another big stadium 'rock' band to replace Foos, and Muse fit that criteria. although i hope i'm wrong because i've said countless times that those two acts in one year would be dreadful

10 minutes ago, russycarps said:

The third headliner is a mystery though. Perhaps it will be adele, but it seems like even she realises those dreary songs on the pyramid wont work. I dont think it will be stones roses as I think it sounds like the headliners were sorted before their come back was announced (assuming the headliners being booked early chat isnt a lie) and I dont think doing glastonbury is particularly high up their list of priorities.

on the Adele thing, it's weird, because her booking would be a huge huge deal, but i agree that that type of music in a Glastonbury headliner set doesn't quite fit. has there ever been a headliner that's been that low-key before? she has a couple of songs that would get the crowd going, but about 70% of that set would be a piano + her. very much a mood killer. no dropping pills that night

i don't think it'll be Stone Roses, but surely Glastonbury (and other festivals) hear about band comebacks/reformations etc long before the public does? if the Roses were planning their comeback it will've been done a long time ago, and probably before Glastonbury had apparently secured their headliners (which we all know is bollocks anyway)

8 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

usually i'd agree with you on this point, but from the sounds of it, they had Foos pencilled in until they decided they weren't gonna tour next year. assuming they already had Coldplay booked, it could be the case that they decided to book another big stadium 'rock' band to replace Foos, and Muse fit that criteria. although i hope i'm wrong because i've said countless times that those two acts in one year would be dreadful

on the Adele thing, it's weird, because her booking would be a huge huge deal, but i agree that that type of music in a Glastonbury headliner set doesn't quite fit. has there ever been a headliner that's been that low-key before? she has a couple of songs that would get the crowd going, but about 70% of that set would be a piano + her. very much a mood killer. no dropping pills that night

i don't think it'll be Stone Roses, but surely Glastonbury (and other festivals) hear about band comebacks/reformations etc long before the public does? if the Roses were planning their comeback it will've been done a long time ago, and probably before Glastonbury had apparently secured their headliners (which we all know is bollocks anyway)

Yeah you may well be right, but in my mind the fact foos are american makes a difference in having them alongside a big uk act. Muse and coldplay just seems like it's too good (in terms of how it would be perceived by the general population, not by discerning gentlemen like us I mean). Probably a load of bollocks, but I just dont want it to be those two turds!

Hopefully you're right about the stone roses and glastonbury was their first port of call.

Having said all this, it'll probably end up being prince now!

stone roses fri

coldplay sat

prince sun

IT'S HAPPENING!

Edited by russycarps

Glasto will have known about The Roses comeback long before the 16 lemons started appearing. Realistically, with 4 stadium shows, I don't think they'll be doing any other festivals than Glasto as the stadium shows will affect ticket sales elsewhere.

The only thing that I think is weird is if they were doing Glasto, surely they would've announced it at the same time as the other shows

It seems pretty nailed on that Coldplay will do one night, which going on logic leaves a night for a contempory act and a night for a heritage act?

Heritage could be Fleetwood Mac I guess, but it seems a bit sloppy seconds to me. After that I think the Roses fit that criteria and it all seems to be so well set up for it this year.

The second 'current' act? Muse I cant see - too soon to return and just no real progress since 2010. Foo's is hard to call - I can see them just doing it as a one off as much as todays statement seems to signal a hiatus. Adele? It could happen, but as others have said, it would be a long dull set. Cant discount Noel Gallgher, he headlined other festivals last year, is still touring and clearly is gagging to headline.

Emily's 'headliners couldn't get any bigger' statement surely points to Adele. Coldplay are already nailed on. Adele early on the day might be a bit too big. The amount of people who would head over would be ridiculous. The Muse rumours aren't going away either.

3 minutes ago, Alan_C said:

So, @MileyCyrus won't be playing at @GlastoFest BUT it's OK cos @taylorswift13 is

What a strange source from it to come to if its true, a clothing websites Twitter? 

Expect the immanent return of Mr Ashford amid these whispers 

Edited by Mezhyp1

Taylor is basically a materialistic untalented cow - hence ASOS apparently knowing that she is playing.

I doubt it though, didn't she say she was taking a break from peddling shit to kids after the current tour?

Edited by mungo57

2 minutes ago, Alan_C said:

So, @MileyCyrus won't be playing at @GlastoFest BUT it's OK cos @taylorswift13 is

Taylor Swift isn't touring through 2016 so this is bollocks

20 minutes ago, ClementsMike said:

Cant discount Noel Gallgher, he headlined other festivals last year, is still touring and clearly is gagging to headline.

if Florence wasn't a headliner this year then Noel ain't a headliner either - strong sub to a big headliner (thought it was gonna be Foos, but now that it looks like they ain't playing, i'm not sure)

5 minutes ago, Alan_C said:

Emily's 'headliners couldn't get any bigger' statement surely points to Adele. Coldplay are already nailed on. Adele early on the day might be a bit too big. The amount of people who would head over would be ridiculous. The Muse rumours aren't going away either.

Bigger than Fleetwood Mac? Not saying she wouldn't pull a crowd as big, if not bigger. But in terms of the name at the top of the poster...

According to The Thingy*, on this day in 2010, U2 were announced.

Was there an expectation that an announcement was coming or was it out of the blue*?

It was a Tuesday.

*Other Thingys are available
**awaits inevitable ELO gag.

Edited by Gnomicide