• Replies 15.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fri:           Pyramid:    Muse + Kendrick

Other:        Gorillaz + Disclosure

WH:           Basement Jaxx

JP:           White Lies

Sat:          Pyramid:    The XX + Adele (headlining) 

Other:       The Prodigy + Nero

WH:          Bjork

JP:         Yeah Yeah Yeahs

Sun:       Pyramid:        Coldplay + ELO + Bombay Bicycle Club + Kool and the Gang (legends slot)

Other:           New Order + The Last Shadow Puppets

WH:             Roots Manuva

JP:                Bloc Party

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No sound logic about any of these predictions just a few punts!

6 minutes ago, drakeyyy said:

Sun:       Pyramid:        Coldplay + ELO + Bombay Bicycle Club + Kool and the Gang (legends slot)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No sound logic about any of these predictions just a few *unts!

FTFY

Everyone has different tastes but Muse will go down a storm if they play again. Its guaranteed. Never seen them play live and be anything other than class.

don't like them....go see somebody else (if they play) Iv seen them loads already but it would take something very special indeed on other, west holts or elsewhere to stop me watching them again.

My 2p on the NIN list:

- The Fragile

- with teeth

- downward

- pretty hate

- year zero

- hesitation marks

- the slip

- ghosts

And now to do my favourite band:

- Lateralus

- Aenema

- Undertow

- 10000 days

not to say that 10k days is shit, I love all of Tool's albums, it's just my least favourite (while still being fucking excellent)

Edited by mungo57
Fat thumbz init

1 hour ago, drakeyyy said:

No sound logic about any of these predictions just a few punts!

Not bad, not bad.

Friday the weakest day there, but I'd probably check out Gorillaz to see if they could make up for their Pyramid stand-in. Some annoying clashes on Saturday, but it'd have to be Bjork on West Holts. Sunday would be a no-brainer for me with New Order closing the Other.

I've always been a Beach Boys fan, but I went through a phase in the naughties where I saw Brian's band three times and 'The Beach Boys' once. Mike's band actually wasn't that bad, in fact the vocal aspect was superior in some regards. I'm not particularly keen on the tone of Jeff Foskett's (Brian's band's falsetto singer) voice and let's be honest, Brian Wilson himself hasn't had a particularly pleasant voice in about 40 years now.  On the other hand, Mike watches the pennies and you can hear it. Keyboard parts instead of live acoustic instrumentation really hurts some songs, particularly Pet Sounds tracks and I think there are fewer vocalists, so some of those arrangements don't work as well, but that's not often a problem to be honest.

When it came to track selection, Brian leans more on the fun, surf and cars formula than you might think and Mike delves into the more obscure parts of the back catalogue than expected. I'd expect a 2016 festival set to be pretty much identical, except The Beach Boys aren't likely to play anything off one of Brian's recent solo albums, which are pretty much all inferior to that recent Beach Boys album.

Yes, Mike Love is a dick. Yes, a 'Brian Wilson' show would be better than a 'Beach Boys' show, but neither could be the authentic live article, since a great slice of the Beach Boys best records were chock full of session musicians anyway. I'd go and see 'The Beach Boys', absolutely.

Edited by stuartbert two hats

3 hours ago, russycarps said:

No Dennis no care.

The only beach boy who actually surfed. Cool as fuck. Pacific ocean blue is a tremendous album too

Agreed. Dennis was a badass and Pacific Ocean Blue is an amazing album.

Watching the Beach Boys without any of Brian, Carl or Dennis would just feel wrong. I know Brian was a passenger during their reunion a couple a years ago but you could probably say the same for the rest of them too as it was Brian's fabulous backing band that brought all those songs to life musically and vocally. 

However I'm with Getofamylawn when someone calling themselves the  Beach Boys is on the pyramid stage on a sunny afternoon and it is going to be very hard to resist no matter how purist we see ourselves. 

1 hour ago, mungo57 said:

And now to do my favourite band:

- Lateralus

- Aenema

- Undertow

- 10000 days

Not much to argue with here. I may well swap the bottom two, but the difference in quality is fairly trivial.  I'm inclined to rate Lateralus as the best album of this new millennium.

7 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

Not much to argue with here. I may well swap the bottom two, but the difference in quality is fairly trivial.  I'm inclined to rate Lateralus as the best album of this new millennium.

Oooooh that's one hell of a statement.

its definitely in my top 5 since 2000 - phenomenal album but I can think of at least 1 album I enjoy more that would rank above it......... 

Steven Wilson (solo) rankings:

- Hand. Cannot. Erase.

- grace for Drowning

- The Raven that Refused to sing (and other stories)

- Insurgentes

again..... I love them all but like Insurgentes the least 

I just watched that Adele at the BBC thing... well, there's no denying she's got a lot of talent. Her voice is fantastic live and she's got some great hits, but I do wonder whether 90 mins of ballads (with the odd exception such as Rolling in the Deep) is really suitable for a Pyramid headliner. The more I think about it, the less convinced I am of her as a possibility.

39 minutes ago, Mezhyp1 said:

Remember the countdown on Foo Fighters website? Well it was a link to a new 5 song EP called Saint Cecilia 

had a feeling it was gonna be an EP. fingers crossed it's better than... well, almost everything on Sonic Highways. doesn't really put them back in the picture for Glastonbury though

1 minute ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Bands releasing an EP a few months after an album are usually just getting rid of the songs that didn't make the cut.  A few years back they would have been the b-sides to the singles. 

i thought the same, but in the statement released it says the EP was 'put in to action' in October (whether that means written from scratch or just means recording old unused songs i'm not sure)

2 minutes ago, Chazwozza said:

Foos on the Friday then.....

according to Neil they don't seem to have any plans to tour Europe in early summer so it's looking unlikely

6 minutes ago, across97 said:

What do people think about the Libertines headlining? Played a surprise set  this year and seemed to go down quite well, and they've been rumoured ever since the reunion. Not quite sure it would happen, but would anybody be shocked to hear that?

Absolutely gobsmacked