Beck

The 38 year old virgin

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, sisco said:

Ahh ok then. Drop them 1! 

Yeah I would say 6th and that maybwell be the running order at a guess. Still two slots below them.

2 hours ago, Mezhyp1 said:

Ive seen a couple of people now suggesting Skepta on the pyramid, now, is it just me, or is that complete lunacy? He's not going to be on the pyramid surely 

1 hour ago, FloorFiller said:

I think it's due to his name being so prominent on the poster and there being a lack of any other hip hop acts to fill the Friday Pyramid hip hop slot. Not too outrageous but still doesn't seem quite right to me 

I think it's due to this but my mention was simply as he seems to be the only option for that....but one that wous probably take a 5th slot rather than a larger hip hop taking the 4th like Snoop and Mary J etc.

Odelay is his definitive album and definitely the place to start.

Otherwise as LeeGalvin says he plays a lot from Guero, which is an underrated album although it does kinda feel like Odelay-lite; Midnight Vultures is funky horns and falsetto 'Beck does Prince'; Sea Change and Morning Phase are country rock 'Beck does Neil Young'.

3 hours ago, jonodillieono said:

Playing Brixton 28th June and Manc Albert Hall 29th

43 quid face value for manchester

The albert hall deleted their event and any mention of Beck from their facebook page and website which is a bit odd. I messaged them asking why and there's been no response. I'm guessing they announced Beck prematurely. 

just hope his crowd isn't shite - between the Sunday legend and what's looking like Ellie Goulding/Coldplay is a bit of a risky slot for him as i'm sure a good portion of the crowd won't be interested. not that i'll care. i'll be too busy getting down and dirty to Sexx Laws. the fact that he's quite possibly clashing with PJ is a bit of a shitter though - what is it with the festival and sticking the few big alt-rock acts booked on at the same time as each other?!

1 minute ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

Does throw up the strong possibility of the Beck PJ Harvey clash though which would be pretty shit as they're currently the only two acts likely for Sunday that I'd want to see. 

If Beck's third down and PJ Harvey subs Other, which seems most likely, then they definitely wouldn't clash. Even if PJ is third down as well then you'd probably only miss 10-15 minutes of one of them.

5 minutes ago, kingcrawler said:

If Beck's third down and PJ Harvey subs Other, which seems most likely, then they definitely wouldn't clash. Even if PJ is third down as well then you'd probably only miss 10-15 minutes of one of them.

Fingers crossed. 

1 minute ago, dentalplan said:

Coldplay are likely gonna have a two hour set though, so that'll push the Pyramid third a bit earlier I reckon.

I think Beck will sub at the request of Martin Chris and the gang though. Dunno if Peej will be sub or third, there's not a lot of difference I suppose.

So did The Who

2 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Coldplay are likely gonna have a two hour set though, so that'll push the Pyramid third a bit earlier I reckon.

I think Beck will sub at the request of Martin Chris and the gang though. Dunno if Peej will be sub or third, there's not a lot of difference I suppose.

where does that leave Ellie though? him subbing Coldplay makes even less sense than being on third - i doubt there's a big crossover between Beck and Coldplay fans, and i doubt he's a big enough pull to get a decent crowd at that time either, or am i totally underestimating his appeal these days?