Arcade Fire

Zoo Music Girl

I didn't say The Suburbs wasn't out when they played, I said it wasn't even announced when they were announced as headliners (March 2010).

Month of May/The Suburbs double A-side was released in late May 2010.

Therefore they were booked to headline off the back of Neon Bible - although Melvin did tell me at the Thursday BBQ in 2010 that he'd heard a little bit before booking.

Also there seems to be a weird split on this forum where some people are sick of headliners who whore themselves out at every other festival (The Killers, Arctic Monkeys, Kings of Leon etc.), but others are adamant that potential alternatives aren't big enough (Arcade Fire, Elbow, Biffy Clyro etc.). I mean what do people want?

Exactly.

That said, I think it is worth booking bands that have a few albums out to ensure they have enough song variety to cover a long set. But the bands you mention do.

One thing to remember: nothing bad happens if the new headliners end up a bit rubbish. Mumford and Sons, from what I've heard, didn't exactly put on a classic set, yet that is all forgotten about now. Absolutely no consequences. So the festival may as well take on a risk on the smaller acts as actually there is no risk.

Exactly.

That said, I think it is worth booking bands that have a few albums out to ensure they have enough song variety to cover a long set. But the bands you mention do.

One thing to remember: nothing bad happens if the new headliners end up a bit rubbish. Mumford and Sons, from what I've heard, didn't exactly put on a classic set, yet that is all forgotten about now. Absolutely no consequences. So the festival may as well take on a risk on the smaller acts as actually there is no risk.

I wouldnt say theres no risk. Getting acts that can pull off a good headline set boosts the popularity of the festival. But I agree in general, if occasionally a smaller headliner does a not so great set then its generally just forgotten.

Though smaller headliner often go all out and produce brilliant sets so its worth the risk imo.

Also there seems to be a weird split on this forum where some people are sick of headliners who whore themselves out at every other festival (The Killers, Arctic Monkeys, Kings of Leon etc.), but others are adamant that potential alternatives aren't big enough (Arcade Fire, Elbow, Biffy Clyro etc.). I mean what do people want?

The Rolling fucking Stones. Every god damn festival.

I see where you're coming from, and totally agree. Glastonbury has a reputation for giving smaller acts their chance, Pulp/Muse/others (could only think of those two), and I'd hardly say Arcade Fire are small in this magnificent age of the internet.

I'd like to see a mix. It's nice to have a 'big' act once and a while, or the odd Kasabian type act, but some more obscure choices would be welcome.

Since the 2006 fallow year Glastonbury has had some mighty fine acts headline (2009 as a whole, U2, Stones) but maybe it'd be better if we all just calmed down and had some smaller acts once and a while.

I didn't say The Suburbs wasn't out when they played, I said it wasn't even announced when they were announced as headliners (March 2010).

Therefore they were booked to headline off the back of Neon Bible - although Melvin did tell me at the Thursday BBQ in 2010 that he'd heard a little bit before booking.

No, they subbed in 2007 'off the back of' Neon Bible (although they would have been booked before it was rleased), why would they be booked to headline based on a three-year old album when they'd already played since that album was released? They were booked to headline in 2010 under the expectation that the new album would be well received (and it was the right call).

Edited by mrtourette

Yes but The Suburbs hadn't performed at all then, therefore when they were announced to headline, that was based off the success of Funeral and Neon Bible.

Headliners aren't booked on future promise.

:lol:

Of course some of them are. It wasn't coincidence that meant they were booked to headline the same year their new album was out, or Biffy were booked to headline the year their new album was out. Both were booked due to expectation that their new records would perform well and make them more attractive than when they played last. If they wait until the albums have been out then they risk losing them to another festival the following year (or them not being available).

Edited by mrtourette

Yes but The Suburbs hadn't performed at all then, therefore when they were announced to headline, that was based off the success of Funeral and Neon Bible.

Headliners aren't booked on future promise.

Yes they definitely are booked on future promise/expectation, see KoL 2008.

Its not necessarily what people want, its just an opinion on what will happen.

I kind of feel like it's next year or never to be honest, their tours don't tend to last much longer than a year, so 2015 looks a little out of reach. And I'm not sure how long they will continue as Arcade Fire for, I wouldn't be surprised if they call it a day after this touring cycle is done and work on solo projects, or at least have a lengthy hiatus

Edited by rjb94

Well to be fair you missed out a word (I guess booked or announced) so that's why we thought you meant something different... :D Regardless, that still wouldn't explain any small crowd on the day. The festival still had three albums to go off even if the bookers hadn't months earlier.

Only playing devil's advocate mind as I was there and thought it was excellent and think they should headline Glastonbury.

That surely makes them a bit more likely for Glastonbury doesn't it?

Means they're not gallivanting around the US during June. Then again, Primavera isn't prolific in terms of sharing headliners with Glasto. Nick Cave (who else?) appeared at both last year though. Pulp in 2011 too.

Neil young did both.