Left Field

Avalon_Fields

3 hours ago, Beerqueen said:

Don't think he usually plays Leftfield, usually the Bandstand (or is it the Croissant Neuf Bandstand, my mind's gone blank).

Definitely played in Leftfield in 2017, remember watching him. Could have been when he sang the song about nurses and got a couple of stage

35 minutes ago, Superscally said:

So many good ideas! Feel the vibe on the day x

Yeah I think that's the case for a lot of acts. Go with a good feel vibe for what feels good at the time. May even be what stage is closer. If Fatboy Slim is Sunday however that will change things.

7 minutes ago, northernangel said:

Yeah I think that's the case for a lot of acts. Go with a good feel vibe for what feels good at the time. May even be what stage is closer. If Fatboy Slim is Sunday however that will change things.

Once again Glasto coming up with the goods.

56 minutes ago, stuie said:

The next few days could be a bit of a snowball for Rishi and it’s going to get harder for him to deny that the people want a general election! 

Maybe he goes, they get a new leader and prepare for November but who’s going to want to take it on now? Their prospects aren’t good! 

Agree. If I were a selfish him. I would say f**k it. Do it now. Get the summer hols off. He is very capable of putting himself first. And not go through the f**kery of leadership contests throughout the summer. And autumn. He has no loyalty to the conservative party.  He doesn't care. 

1 hour ago, stuie said:

The next few days could be a bit of a snowball for Rishi and it’s going to get harder for him to deny that the people want a general election! 

Maybe he goes, they get a new leader and prepare for November but who’s going to want to take it on now? Their prospects aren’t good! 

True. Go for it now

12 hours ago, gigpusher said:

So happy with this line up. i could do a little dance. If The Crumble Shack were still there I'd have been in heaven.

Hoping the acts that are higher up the line up may end up doing other sets as well.

And a very classy touch for Billy Bragg to get Billy Nomates back to headline after last year.

All round a very good day today! And a May 1st announcement (International Workers Day) for Leftfield also another nice touch!

Thought you'd be happy to see Sprints on the list! If you haven't caught Pillow Queens, highly recommended. They've been a fixture at most Irish festivals over the last few years. New album was released a couple of weeks ago and is excellent, less jangly-indie-pop than their earlier stuff (more an evolution from the second album) and Pamela continues to tone down the Dublin twang (to the point where she's starting to sound like CMAT at times!). Should be right up your street based on bands I've seen you mention!

6 hours ago, Toilet Duck said:

Thought you'd be happy to see Sprints on the list! If you haven't caught Pillow Queens, highly recommended. They've been a fixture at most Irish festivals over the last few years. New album was released a couple of weeks ago and is excellent, less jangly-indie-pop than their earlier stuff (more an evolution from the second album) and Pamela continues to tone down the Dublin twang (to the point where she's starting to sound like CMAT at times!). Should be right up your street based on bands I've seen you mention!

Can't say enough good things about Pillow Queens. I've been waiting for them to tour near me for a while so I could see them, so this appearance at Glastonbury is a huge bonus. To be honest, in my mind, they're a LF Stage headliner! Don't know why they're so low down the bill (but that might just be because I've listened to them so much).

7 hours ago, Toilet Duck said:

Yes not seen them live yet but I do know them and they are definitely on my list. Do think at this point we could almost justify an Irish stage. Irish musicians so far seem to be the main beneficiaries of Brexit.

54 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Yes not seen them live yet but I do know them and they are definitely on my list. Do think at this point we could almost justify an Irish stage. Irish musicians so far seem to be the main beneficiaries of Brexit.

That’s an interesting point. Do you think Brexit is influencing the Glasto line up? Or is it more to do with inflation? Or a bit of both?

2 minutes ago, Colorblindjames said:

That’s an interesting point. Do you think Brexit is influencing the Glasto line up? Or is it more to do with inflation? Or a bit of both?

Brexit has had a clear impact on the ability of bands to travel between the UK and EU seamlessly and this has had a negative impact on UK acts being able to tour Europe. I imagine the converse is it's made the UK more awkward for acts from the rest of the world too: https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/aug/22/music-industry-workers-no-work-in-eu-since-brexit

7 minutes ago, Colorblindjames said:

Yes in that Glastonbury doesn't pay as much so other European bands probably need to be paid more to cover the cost of the visas etc which Irish artists don't need.

I also think Irish artists are probably a cheaper option for European festivals as they also don't have to pay for visas etc to go there hence why I said they are probably the main beneficiaries of Brexit. There's obviously a few other things that feed into it as well as I know the Irish government were trialing a form of universal income for artists but it can't be a coincidence that Irish music is having such a great time at the moment.

I saw Pillow Queens at Tempelhof Sounds festival in Berlin in 2022 and they were ace. Not really kept track of them since but recognised the name yesterday. Definitely worth a watch. 

There’s quite a bit of crossover between that lineup and this years Glasto actually. Pillow Queens, Bow Anderson, Baby Queen, Teo Door Cinema Club, IDLES, Sleaford Mods, Fontaines DC. 

16 hours ago, bennyhana22 said:

Could you please not bring this up again? I'm still flippin' scarred from waking up that morning and someone in our camp telling us the news. My exclamation at ridiculous volume of "YOU'RE f**kING JOKING!!!" has become part of Camp lore.

Ben

I have a similar story, I was awoken on that fateful day from my hungover slumber by someone screaming in a thick french accent "your country is f***ing stupid!" when the realisation hit it was so so bleak. 

Then watched a depressed Damon Albarn on the pyramid stage which compounded the misery

2 hours ago, gigpusher said:

Good stuff! They’re excellent live! Continued freedom of movement between UK and Ireland has definitely has an impact on the number of Irish bands at UK festivals. Thankfully there’s tons of great bands here at the moment! 

3 hours ago, CharlotteB said:

Can't say enough good things about Pillow Queens. I've been waiting for them to tour near me for a while so I could see them, so this appearance at Glastonbury is a huge bonus. To be honest, in my mind, they're a LF Stage headliner! Don't know why they're so low down the bill (but that might just be because I've listened to them so much).

Oh they’re definitely bigger over here, have their own headline show at Iveagh Gardens this summer. Being lower down hopefully helps with clashes though! 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Superscally said:

When are they announcing Rightfield? For balance? 

For c**ts. 

Saving grace for me wasn't that impressed with the other stages so far but tons of stuff on Leftfield for me.

Sprints was one of the ones I was hoping for and I hope Will Varley turns up this year after pulling out in 2023.

I can see me spending a lot of time in there which suits its a great stage.

3 hours ago, Toilet Duck said:

Oh they’re definitely bigger over here, have their own headline show at Iveagh Gardens this summer. Being lower down hopefully helps with clashes though! 

Yeah, definitely a bonus because I probably would've seen them even if they were headlining 🙌🏼

17 hours ago, Mich1268 said:

Agree. If I were a selfish him. I would say f**k it. Do it now. Get the summer hols off. He is very capable of putting himself first. And not go through the f**kery of leadership contests throughout the summer. And autumn. He has no loyalty to the conservative party.  He doesn't care. 

Conservatives have no loyalty other than to themselves and their bank balance.  The only reason they successfully band together is out of a unified self interest.  

• Upvote 1

daft question but is the left field stage two words? ive always written it as 2 (if my dyslexia is playing ball) because im sure thats how it is on site. and ive always done leftfield the band as one word. but I just saw on the glasto spotify genre that theyre writing the left field stage as one word. thoughts? is it even worth caring about? lol