Have you ever snuck into Glastonbury with no ticket (post 2000)?

Gnomicide

Sneaking in. Have you? Would you? Could you?  

177 members have voted

1. 1. Have you ever snuck in to Glastonbury with no ticket or helped someone else get in?

• Yes, I've snuck in. Just me.
    • Yes, I've snuck in with a group of others.
    • No but I've helped someone else in.
    • No, never have but would try it if I had no ticket.
    • No, never have and wouldn't try.

40 minutes ago, Johnnyseven said:

My last attempt was 2000. It was very easy in those days, I remember after Nine Inch Nails played I went up to someone who i'd met's campsite, probably where The Park is now, and the fence was just lying on the floor - you could have just strolled in, wasn't how I got in though.

I don't remember nin playing at all. If you'd asked me I'd have said that they had never played.

7 minutes ago, Johnnyseven said:

Definitely did and they were fantastic.

Did they headline or were they just on the bill? I was there in 2000 but don't have a Scoobie do.

I remember seeing the chems headline that year.

Edited by Neil

38 minutes ago, Neil said:

Did they headline or were they just on the bill? I was there in 2000 but don't have a Scoobie do.

I remember seeing the chems headline that year.

Headlined the Other Stage, I think on the Friday.

Edited by Johnnyseven

3 minutes ago, Johnnyseven said:

not my bag so i don't feel i missed out, just hadn't realised they played i never took much interest in that stage.

5 hours ago, -TLR- said:

nope, never have, even back in the day.

although in 1995 i may as well have snuck in - all the fence got pulled down at the stone circle and it essentially became a free festival that year.

our crew thought it would be fun to sit and chill but OUTSIDE the perimeter of the fence which was now laying flat.

it was not fun at all - i ended up falling asleep for a while and got a horrendously sun burned nose.

It seemed like I was the only one who paid that year. Must've been me and you then!

Pre 2000 I used to go down to Glastonbury with a big gang who either used to jump the fence, were working there in some capacity or had blagged hospitality tickets...  I always had a ticket, preferred the normal methods of entry to sneaking around the perimeter trying to find a gap or a dodgy bloke selling routes in..  a lot of them used to spend most of the weekend at the travellers field anyway, I popped out to visit occasionally but preferred to be inside the fence seeing bands.   I remember the fence coming down behind the stone circle and everyone cheering.  I’ve been working on gates when people have tried legging it in.. that’s always exciting 🙂

Being local, it's not that difficult to gain entry. I know that I can always go.

But if I can't get a ticket, I much prefer to work it and contribute to the festival.

If I was forced to blag it, I'd make sure that charities got a healthy donation.

I couldn't just freeload it, that would feel wrong...

29 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

It seemed like I was the only one who paid that year. Must've been me and you then!

i paid in  '95, the only year i didn't pay was '86, -i was hidden in a vehicle, and back then all vehicles drove onto the site, and you camped next to your car.

Only time was the first time in 1984 on the Sunday when we got in with borrowed wristbands from friends who passed them over the hedge to us 😂 Tickets always since. Last time we went  in 2022 there were quite a few people coming through at Sticklinch. 

Based entirely on the evidence of my own observation (some might say imagination) it feels like the number of people getting in without a ticket has been steadily rising in recent years.

7 hours ago, JoeyT said:

Think it should be edited to say post 2000 because by the looks of it every tom, d*ck and harry were getting in without a ticket prior to the superfence!

I went to plenty before 2000 and never snuck in as such.  Had two I worked, then several I got in on free tickets (family member on Mendip District Council and the festival were savvy and said "come and see it for yourself"), then bought them usually from the shop in broadmead, but one notable time it sold out and I very cheekily phoned MEs brother (who I only knew very slightly), who walked me through on one of their villagers' tickets. 

Really felt he had better things to do during the fest, so resolved to not be in that position again. 

I nearly helped someone else, we hid him under a duvet in a vw camper a friend lent me.  As our first go in a van we foolishly didn't realise they didn't care about parking the van up, just when you came through the pede gates.  As he wondered what to do, someone moved the fence, security chased a runner and he strolled through with a dozen others...who all got in quicker than us ticket holders 😊

No, never done that and I'd never do it in the future. I think it's a moral thing (but I also know in my heart I wouldn't be fast enough to escape any pursuing security, so that might be subconsciously swaying my decision)

Me and a friend discussed trying it around '89/'90. Nothing came of it.

On 3/28/2024 at 3:54 PM, -TLR- said:

nope, never have, even back in the day.

although in 1995 i may as well have snuck in - all the fence got pulled down at the stone circle and it essentially became a free festival that year.

our crew thought it would be fun to sit and chill but OUTSIDE the perimeter of the fence which was now laying flat.

it was not fun at all - i ended up falling asleep for a while and got a horrendously sun burned nose.

21 hours ago, philipsteak said:

Me and mates paid in '95. At least five of us possibly more. Arrived at the top just as the fence was starting to be pulled down. My first festival and to small town me it felt like a full on riot was happening.

I think I know enough about the gates that I could do it.

The risk of a long miserable trek home on public transport, passing loads of happy people going in the opposite direction would ensure I never tried.

2 hours ago, MrZigster said:

Me and a friend discussed trying it around '89/'90. Nothing came of it

would have beeneasy back then, didn't get difficult until 2000.

On 3/28/2024 at 8:05 PM, Johnnyseven said:

Same time as Reprazent on the Jazz stage, I remember seeing a bit of both. Bloody love NIN, sometimes I make some daft choices at festivals. 

A Perfect Circle played too that day. 

3 hours ago, Neil said:

would have beeneasy back then, didn't get difficult until 2000.

It looked easy in '95 even before the fence came down. People climbing over all over the place.

A particular memory is of a bunch getting over next to the acoustic tent, looking rather overdressed and out of place for Glastonbury who were greeted with the heckle of "Henley Regatta is that way".

I have never snuck into Glastonbury. My brother did once. He took a flight over from Dublin, hitchhiked a lift to the festival, and then saw that there was a massive fence (superfence) in place, when he knew nothing of the sort (it had been a few years since he had attended the festival). So, faced with this conundrum he walked around. Then he saw an ambulance entering the site. He hopped on the back of the ambulance, and jumped off it once he was 'in'. He's a miserable bastard at the best of times, but he was smiling from ear to ear when he walked up the hill to where were were camped. 

1 hour ago, MrZigster said:

It looked easy in '95 even before the fence came down. People climbing over all over the place.

A particular memory is of a bunch getting over next to the acoustic tent, looking rather overdressed and out of place for Glastonbury who were greeted with the heckle of "Henley Regatta is that way".

, i got a bit of a guilt trip  from freeloading on my first visit in 1986, so always paid after that, apart from a few years where i got free tickets for working in the kidz field.

11 hours ago, Metal Monkey said:

Same time as Reprazent on the Jazz stage, I remember seeing a bit of both. Bloody love NIN, sometimes I make some daft choices at festivals. 

A Perfect Circle played too that day. 

Yeah I saw A Perfect Circle too, I seem to remember a load of promotional frisbees getting thrown out into the crowd.

Annoyingly I'm assuming anyone who has snuck in recently will be keeping quiet. And anyone with fool proof methods but have yet to implement them won't pipe up.

If you're reading this, tell us your secrets! Stop being selfish!