Have you ever snuck into Glastonbury with no ticket (post 2000)?

Gnomicide

Sneaking in. Have you? Would you? Could you?  

177 members have voted

1. 1. Have you ever snuck in to Glastonbury with no ticket or helped someone else get in?

• Yes, I've snuck in. Just me.
    • Yes, I've snuck in with a group of others.
    • No but I've helped someone else in.
    • No, never have but would try it if I had no ticket.
    • No, never have and wouldn't try.

30 minutes ago, stuie said:

I don’t get how this works… if you lose ticket or pass out you have to go to the box office and they look up your photo.  If satisfied by photo they issue replacement stub and pass out. 

It's been a few years since I last worked the gates - do they no longer double wristband people?

That was always an inexplicable way of handling it, as it was so easily abused.

1 hour ago, stuie said:

I don’t get how this works… if you lose ticket or pass out you have to go to the box office and they look up your photo.  If satisfied by photo they issue replacement stub and pass out. 

One person goes out with two wristbands (their own still on), two tickets (their own plus one that looks a bit like person they are trying to get in) - they get a pass out but then go to the desk to say they have lost it. A bit of paperwork at the office and they get given another pass out - they then have all the required bits to get someone in (providing they pass the ticket check although this seems to have been mostly done by folk on the Saturday so checks maybe aren't as stringent). They were using carrier bags under the wristbands to get them off

Having pitched in E21 for many years I have witnessed crowds (100's) of people gathering on Wednesday and Thursday awaiting getting smuggled in. Occasionally security get alerted and they are rounded up and removed. Not sure of the actual route into the festival or who the smugglers are but it happens. The campervan fields have food outlets and toilets so these are probably more appealing than loitering in the car parks awaiting the contact  making the meet up call!

We once had two blokes without wristbands enter our awning, not realising we were in the caravan. I followed them to the food outlet in E20 and pointed them out to security who removed them. 

3 hours ago, tickleyt said:

I lost my pass out when loading the car up on the Sunday, was waiting about 30 minutes whilst they checked over my photo, asked me questions and made sure I was who I was claiming to be. Was all very friendly ofc, but definitely didn't feel like something you'd get away with easily unless you looked exactly like the photo and had everything else. 

Just 30 minutes. 

You did well. 

I've seen people stuck in that cabin for hours.

3 hours ago, incident said:

It's been a few years since I last worked the gates - do they no longer double wristband people?

That was always an inexplicable way of handling it, as it was so easily abused.

My last two I've been working on a vehicle gate, but as far as I'm aware they still double wristband people. Certainly my friends still working ped gates haven't said any different. 

Yeah, always thought it was a bit of a mad system.

I've also known people who have deliberately "lost" their ticket straight away so they could get the second wristband and not have to worry about tickets and pass outs for the rest of the weekend

22 minutes ago, Fishinginthelongdrops said:

I’ve seen people being searched on exit. Always assumed they’re looking for people leaving with stolen property or large amounts of cash.

Are they also searching people taking out extra tickets and wristbands?

Honestly? More than anything else they're bored.

52 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

mad that especially if people have ID .... although I guess that might be quite a short wait ..... 

I've always taken the view that the festival see delays at the cabins (for these type of enquiries at least) as being somewhat beneficial.

I've certainly heard stories about the level of extended questioning they sometimes undertake to try and weed out the chancers (won't go into specifics here, but for example you'd be expected to have decent local knowledge of the area your ticket is registered to). Problem is that (as best I can tell) the people they're trying to weed out are generally not the ones going to the cabins.