Would Pulp headline Glastonbury in this era?

FirstGlastoHype

9 hours ago, gfa said:

would be first in line for a bump up if next year a drop out happens (well unless a women drops out and they would make it 3x predominantly male acts), but not a first choice

could easily be the legend or a sub

Be quite something if they headlined again through the exact way that they got the bump up to do it in 1995.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gejonimo said:

Your point works in reverse too. I think Pulp could headline, you don't. There is no right or wrong, and we can debate it forever and ever amen so long as we remain civil. I also think "accepting IOW headliners" is a bit meh, Green Day could easily headline Glasto. Muse headlined IOW in 2022, who have headlined Glasto before and likely will again. Probably many more examples. 

Certainly I know a few had suggested Green Day for Glastonbury as an idea and if they had done it this year, I think they'd have done a decent job, even if they'd probably have a few bewildered as to how their live show still hems very close to what they were doing in the American Idiot days 20ish years ago.

Muse, I'm not sure on. When they were last asked about it, they seemed happy to have done it 3 times and I'm aware they're not quite the draw they were in the Resistance/2nd Law era. Though I'm sure if they were offered they'd accept. I mean, Werchter keep asking them back.

22 hours ago, Gejonimo said:

All terrible takes.

Watch footage from Pulp and Blur shows, then come back. 

What is a reunion for reunions sake? Why do they not "deserve" a headline slot simply because they have reformed? It's usually the other way around. 

Idles have sold out Manc Apollo twice and close to selling it a third time, that's around 10k over 3 nights. Chemical Brothers played Manc Arena on the back of an album, Pulp would sell it out without an album, Idles would also do the same. 

Not a clue what point you're trying to make. 

Idles sell out manchester arena? No

the point was: pulp not right for pyramid headliner but possibly too big for sub or other headliner

or, they look much bigger than this years pyramid sub or other headliners but wouldnt usually as this years lineup is quite weak

a reunion for reunions sake is for money. They have no new music so what else is it for? They reunited in the early 2010s too. 

no one went to see blur for their new album

Edited by Memory Man

Also i refute that idles and lcd are not small for their slots

i was at lcd other headliner in 2016 and it was quiet

idles you can see anywhere and have many unsold dates. and are also headlining the 12k capacity end of the road this year

lcd are only big due to scarcity value ie they rarely play the UK and are doing just 2 non glasto shows this year.

Comparing those to pulp they are much smaller, so you may think pulp deserve to headline but i would only place pulp at other headliner or pyramid sub still, despite that.

Edited by Memory Man

People saying Pulp have no new music, but I don't think that's important for a "heritage" headliner. Nobody went to last year's Saturday headliner* hoping to hear some new tunes.

I'm not saying Pulp should headline, but I think they could with the right balance of other headliners (ie don't put them, Blur and Radiohead on the same year).

* I'm not naming them here because I don't want to summon a particular person to rant about them all over this thread.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Memory Man said:

People also forget this forum age wise skews a lot older in age range than the average attendee

nobody under 30 would give the slightest care about pulp. Much like nobody under 35 will care about faithless (i made that point in the other thread)

This is mad

They are britpop

Oasis, Blur and Pulp are still popular - sure not as much as say Dua Lipa or a newer older act like Coldplay but still popular.

Just look at the success of Truck / Y Not / Kendal etc

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, gfa said:

This is mad

They are britpop

Oasis, Blur and Pulp are still popular - sure not as much as say Dua Lipa or a newer older act like Coldplay but still popular.

Oasis remain one of the most popular bands in the UK. If they reunited it would be headline news and it would break the internet. Would honestly be colossal. 

54 minutes ago, Memory Man said:

People also forget this forum age wise skews a lot older in age range than the average attendee

nobody under 30 would give the slightest care about pulp. Much like nobody under 35 will care about faithless (i made that point in the other thread)

I think people underestimate what a resurgence in popularity that Britpop era bands have had in recent years, especially with gen z. Lots of younger people were at the Blur shows last year and plenty of young people seem to be hopping on Britpop trends on tiktok. 

33 minutes ago, gfa said:

This is mad

They are britpop

I've been amazed at how young the crowds are for acts from that era.

A prime example would be at Paul Heaton and Jacqui Abbot on the Other Stage a few years back. I expected it all to be people my age or even older. Instead I was surrounded by teenagers, all singing along word perfect to songs I'd forgotten and probably hadn't actively listened too since before they were born.

Having said that, the crowd at Pulp in Manchester last year seemed to be 95% same age as me. So maybe won't spend £70 on a ticket to see them but would go a a festival set.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, charlierc said:

Certainly I know a few had suggested Green Day for Glastonbury as an idea and if they had done it this year, I think they'd have done a decent job, even if they'd probably have a few bewildered as to how their live show still hems very close to what they were doing in the American Idiot days 20ish years ago.

Muse, I'm not sure on. When they were last asked about it, they seemed happy to have done it 3 times and I'm aware they're not quite the draw they were in the Resistance/2nd Law era. Though I'm sure if they were offered they'd accept. I mean, Werchter keep asking them back.

I'm a big Muse fan generally, and I thought they were superb in 2004 and 2010, and pretty good in 2016 (I know most people don't agree) but the last couple of albums have been all over the place and despite them remaining big amongst a particular fanbase, I think booking them again for Glastonbury would be so tiresome and stale.

Tend to agree with the general thoughts on Pulp here. If there was a time for them to have done it, it would have been last year. And although I like somewhat in a bubble where they are massive/seminal/widely known/legendary, I do think their cross-over appeal with Gen Z is pretty tenuous. When I saw them at Manchester Castlefield and Finsbury Park last year they were both sell-out crowds and both shows were tremendous, but I didn't see many people under 30 there...

2 hours ago, Memory Man said:

Yeah but that demographic largely didn't give a crap about Arctic Monkeys either, didn't stop them headlining.

Pulp could do it, but it'd be seen as a disappointing choice. But then so was GnR and SZA. And I'm aware they were bump-ups, but there's a bump-up every years because the festival is fairly ambitious in who it attempts to book.

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Memory Man said:

Idles sell out manchester arena? No

the point was: pulp not right for pyramid headliner but possibly too big for sub or other headliner

or, they look much bigger than this years pyramid sub or other headliners but wouldnt usually as this years lineup is quite weak

a reunion for reunions sake is for money. They have no new music so what else is it for? They reunited in the early 2010s too. 

no one went to see blur for their new album

Bad takes, especially the final part, blurs final album was a huge selling point and one of the best albums of the year 

Edited by FirstGlastoHype

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Memory Man said:

Ironically I created this thread, am under 30, and a huge pulp fan. Ridiculous comment

i also saw faithless on the Thursday last year and was stacked with people under 30

Ludicrous statements 

Edited by FirstGlastoHype

Faithless aren't nearly the size of Pulp and sure insomnia is well known - but put them at a fri/sat/sun proper slot time with decent clashes and it wouldn't be busy.

8 hours ago, foolsgold1981 said:

I'm a big Muse fan generally, and I thought they were superb in 2004 and 2010, and pretty good in 2016 (I know most people don't agree) but the last couple of albums have been all over the place and despite them remaining big amongst a particular fanbase, I think booking them again for Glastonbury would be so tiresome and stale.

Tend to agree with the general thoughts on Pulp here. If there was a time for them to have done it, it would have been last year. And although I like somewhat in a bubble where they are massive/seminal/widely known/legendary, I do think their cross-over appeal with Gen Z is pretty tenuous. When I saw them at Manchester Castlefield and Finsbury Park last year they were both sell-out crowds and both shows were tremendous, but I didn't see many people under 30 there...

Well we've seen the whole thing that Coldplay have been seen as being a bit of a stale booking given this will be their 5th go around at the gig. So yeah, I can see the idea of booking Muse for a fourth time would feel a bit "So what?" to a general audience, particularly given their last 3 albums weren't exactly producing hits. And I say this as someone who is a very big fan of theirs and had a great time at Milton Keynes Bowl last summer.

I saw a few people under 30 at Finsbury last year tbf. Maybe having Wet Leg as support helped.

1 hour ago, charlierc said:

Well we've seen the whole thing that Coldplay have been seen as being a bit of a stale booking given this will be their 5th go around at the gig. So yeah, I can see the idea of booking Muse for a fourth time would feel a bit "So what?" to a general audience, particularly given their last 3 albums weren't exactly producing hits. And I say this as someone who is a very big fan of theirs and had a great time at Milton Keynes Bowl last summer.

I saw a few people under 30 at Finsbury last year tbf. Maybe having Wet Leg as support helped.

That Finsbury Park day out was so much fun!

• Like 1

On 3/19/2024 at 9:36 AM, Pughga said:

LCD are headlining a 15k festival in Bristol that’s nearly sold out btw… 

idles sold out in seconds their recent tours (including the 7k Cardiff arena). 

pulp WAYYYY above both and have previously headlined. They aren’t travis, ash or skunk Anansie… 

Gettin the vibe that you like plup Old son..fair play