Would Pulp headline Glastonbury in this era?

FirstGlastoHype

Just now, FirstGlastoHype said:

Happy to debate! Oasis are my favourite band ever, I’ve met both Gallaghers on solo tours. 

I don’t like comparing Glasto to Reading, I know headliners overlap but Glasto should strive to be ‘bigger’ than Reading. 

Liam headlined Knebworth if the strength of the oasis Knebworth anniversary , as I say I’m a fan, I was at knebworth, but Liam don’t play Knebworth if oasis hadn’t, it was a celebration of that gig and oasis. 

I love him, maybe that’s a plot twist haha! He played sub in 2019 and is doing the o2 on his Oasis tour, I truly don’t think he should headline

Whether he "should" is another question, but if any other act was pulling the numbers he does they would be considered to certainty to do it at some point.

FWIW I don't think he ever will either.

2 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

Whether he "should" is another question, but if any other act was pulling the numbers he does they would be considered to certainty to do it at some point.

FWIW I don't think he ever will either.

I think that’s a great point tbh

FWIW is one of the only good LG solo songs! 🤣 

7 minutes ago, FirstGlastoHype said:

Bad example, but if there was a year they could get Springsteen, Rolling Stones and someone like The Who, do you think they would decline as there all similar ish older bands? That’s another subject though! Haha

I'd hope so as I wouldn't want to see any of those and they have all played before. I also think Pulp would for me be better than any of those so on that basis maybe I should change my answer but that's the thing music is subjective. People are allowed different views on it.

It’s so hard to really answer this, but personally I think that they could given their history with the festival and their appeal to a core part of the festivals demographic. 

They probably wouldn’t appeal much to the under 35s, but big chunks of the SE Corner or Silver Hayes don’t appeal to the over 35s either. Not everything has to appeal to everyone. 

Saying that they have sold a lot of tickets for their shoes since they came back. More than some acts who people would consider consider dead cert headliners… 

39 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Bad wikipedia - anybody got edit rights on Wikipedia???

Looking at the list, they've got more wrong than just that, especially across the 80s and early 90s, like claiming Christy Moore headlined in 1993.

Feels like someone compiled that list by looking at the acts that played and made assumptions for years they didn't know about.

2 minutes ago, sadimmock said:

Superb. I need a footwear-related retort! 

There's a 'A Little Sole' gag in there if you do a bit of work for it.

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, Agis said:

Pyramid stage headliners in the future will be drawn from the likes of Taylor Swift, ACDC, Drake, The Weeknd, Oasis, Rihanna, Maroon 5, Adele, Ed Sheeran, Post Malone, Eminem, U2, Bruce Springsteen, Bon Jovi, RHCP, Green Day etc etc

Listen we've all had times we've enjoyed a bong during the day and the sun's out today, so it's a great time for one, but you must see that some of those (for either budgetary, qualitative or age related reasons) won't ever do it. 

2 hours ago, FirstGlastoHype said:

Currently having a debate with someone.

In this current era are pulp big enough to headline Glastonbury? 

Let’s say it’s not there final show, and they’ve just been booked to play, would they headline or would it be a sub or Other slot? 

I think it depends who the other two headliners. If they’ve got a couple of acts with a younger appeal or that are massive cross-generational draws then yes. 

For example Olivia Rodrigo/Taylor Swift/Pulp would absolutely work.

Im not sure e.g. Sam Fender/Raye/Pulp would look right.

55 minutes ago, FirstGlastoHype said:

I just think they could get a better ‘older act’ than pulp as a headliner, and I say that as a fan! 

I do agree though, an older act and 2 contemporary is the way to go, we have been spoilt rotten and I do agree depth is better than stacked headliners, that’s almost another reason I want Pulp on the bill but not as a headliner. 

Bad example, but if there was a year they could get Springsteen, Rolling Stones and someone like The Who, do you think they would decline as there all similar ish older bands? That’s another subject though! Haha

That last paragraph is a fair point and no I strongly doubt they would. Certainly not judging by 2009 and 2023. I remember Michael defending the set of ‘oldies’ headliners in ‘09 with a paraphrasing of that exact defence-this is our chance to book them and we have to take it.

2 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Babies is probably their best tune, even if after all these years still haven't figured out the plot or how you can possibly hide in someone else's wardrobe.

Rhod Gilbert hid in Greg Davies wardrobe for a Taskmaster task.

3 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Babies is probably their best tune, even if after all these years still haven't figured out the plot or how you can possibly hide in someone else's wardrobe.

Either it's a very big wardrobe or you can fold yourself up into a very small form.

My two-penneth.

Do they have the chops. Yes.

Do they have the back catalogue. Yes.

Would I f**king love it? YES!

Would they ever get booked for it in the current era, when the headliners get so much flak and scrutiny, even when they are objectively current, huge acts of varying genres? Hell no. The fest would be shot down in flames for it.

28 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

Would Pulp headlining in 24/25 be any different to The Cure doing it in 19?

None at all. The latter was initially seen as underwhelming headliners, but mostly won a decent crowd over. I wouldn’t have any problem in Pulp doing it for a third time, and I reckon they’d get a decent sized crowd too. I’m not a huge fan, but having seen the tour last year thought it’d work very well on the Pyramid 

So a hit is defined on sales or chart positions? Dolly Parton (a legend and long sought after headliner) her signature song is 9-5 and guess what? It never even broke the top 40 in the uk. Bryan Adams (someone who could easily be a legend and surprised he’s never even played) summer of 69? That charted BELOW 9-5 a few years later. Possibly his signature song too. As someone else said, the cure were brought it as an 4th time headliner to match Coldplay and maybe even influence the younger generations. They haven’t released anything new since the 90s (despite threatening to drop a new at any moment), Pulp recently reformed just like bout did in 2009 but (at the time) without any new material and very successfully headlined. It’s got nothing to do with me being stuck in the 90s. If you knew me I’d be saying for years Kendrick Lamar would headline and he did. Liam Gallagher could easily headline Glastonbury, yeah it would be oasis dominated songs but he pulls a huge crowd and did at both his glasto appearances (in fact he was “special guest” as it was negotiated he shouldn’t be that low on the bill but was literally just starting out as well as when beady eye were the first “secret act” to open the other, a tradition that has now become a thing). Noel unfortunately couldn’t as his solo stuff has gone off the boil for the masses. Once is a huge anthem from Liam’s solo albums. Whether he will remains to be seen but how the Gallaghers have orchestrated this split and the will they won’t they reform argument is very clever to keep them fresh. Pulp on hiatus was a similarly clever move. Same with Blur. Same with Radiohead. It worked for Suede too, but unfortunately Suede will never ever headline the pyramid. 

other pyramid headliners? Depeche Mode (surprised this hasn’t yet happened), Duran Duran (legends), Erasure (legends), Abba (if this ever happened wow - the perfect headliners!), Fleetwood Mac (if theyre still a thing and they weren’t so greedy - also the perfect headliners), Mariah Carey (legend), AcDc (if this year isn’t their last), iron maiden (they won’t ever play though), chilli peppers (banned forever), green day (surprised this hasn’t yet happened), Beyoncé (for a second go), Eminem (won’t ever happen), Eagles (if they came down on price I think Michael would die happy and tried to book them once before), Take That (headliners or legends), spice girls (headliners or legends), Stevie nicks (legend - would be mostly covers though), grace jones (legend or west holts headliner), Taylor swift (now owes the festival), Raye (bound to happen next year), Rihanna (next year), Madonna (been saying this years now and was disappointed her and her people didn’t compromise this year - hope they do in future), Carole king (legend), Billy Joel (legend or headliner). Celine Dion? (Outside possibility as a legend…), Dionne Warwick (legend), Cher (legend). 

any others? 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

My two-penneth.

Do they have the chops. Yes.

Do they have the back catalogue. Yes.

Would I f**king love it? YES!

Would they ever get booked for it in the current era, when the headliners get so much flak and scrutiny, even when they are objectively current, huge acts of varying genres? Hell no. The fest would be shot down in flames for it.

Agree wholeheartedly with this, I love pulp, but it’s just not going to happen in the current era

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass II said:

Great question, maybe I’m letting my personal biased in on this one but The Cure had a lot longer successful career worldwide? It was an uninspired booking but I personally think it would be better than current Pulp, just my opinion and not sure on that one 

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass II said:

I think it would.

Pulp were under the radar for years, shone brightly for a period when Britpop was huge, then had a massive hiatus.

The Cure have had highlights and lowlights but always been around and had a solid following. So they have more claim in a way.

No endorsement either way in who deserves what, but IMO Pulp have more, better songs than The Cure from a fraction of overall output. It’s a question of quality vs quantity. In qualitative terms, I’d say Pulp are better. But you can’t deny The Cure have a deeper back catalogue, a 40 year old devoted following and a legion of devoted fans that Pulp don’t. 

I don't get This cult of Jarvis Cocker....

yeah there good but not that good it's like every year please let pulp headline 😂😂

personally I think band's like Depeche Mode,,, the cure a lot of band's agis mentioned should have been on this year's poster... definitely should be more 80s,,90s music but you don't know what is yet to come out...