Do Glasto cater for electric cars?

Franky

Not sure if this is a silly question or not. But I always borrow the Mrs car for Glasto (mines too nice) 😂 but she’s about to buy a leccy car 🤷‍♂️

Cheers for any answers in advance.  

2 minutes ago, Franky said:

Not sure if this is a silly question or not. But I always borrow the Mrs car for Glasto (mines too nice) 😂 but she’s about to buy a leccy car 🤷‍♂️

Cheers for any answers in advance.  

No, you need to recharge before you get there. 🙂

Screenshot_20240315-171051.png

This led to one of the great Daily Mail meltdowns. The recovery companies (RAC etc.) used diesel generators to charge the electric chargers for cars that had run out. Cue screams of "hypocrites!" and it being mentioned in every comments section about Glastonbury and green initiatives for months.

1 minute ago, Gnomicide said:

This led to one of the great Daily Mail meltdowns. The recovery companies (RAC etc.) used diesel generators to charge the electric chargers for cars that had run out. Cue screams of "hypocrites!" and it being mentioned in every comments section about Glastonbury and green initiatives for months.

A lot of EVs dont move if they run out of battery. Cant be pushed or towed. Stuck in gear/park. Wouldnt fancy that at Glasto 

In the mud.

23 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Brilliant 😂

18 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Imagine the queues at all local charging stations the day before and after when we 'all' have EV's.

The UK is in dire need of infrastructure

When we all have EVs there'll be more infrastructure.  Supply will catch up with demand, but if it precedes it that needs to be at someone's expense...and nobody wants to pick up that tab yet. 

42 minutes ago, clarkete said:

When we all have EVs there'll be more infrastructure.  Supply will catch up with demand, but if it precedes it that needs to be at someone's expense...and nobody wants to pick up that tab yet. 

No business is going to set up chargers around a festival site to cater for 50,000 - 100,000 extra vehicles though so even when infrastructure is all in place large events will cause problems as people will either want to charge on route, as near as possible, or soon after leaving so there will be massive queues.

For one event once a year needing that level of charging, it will cause problems - already been seen in places in tourist season like Cornwall and Wales where there is no daily demand but huge seasonal/large event demand.

15 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

No business is going to set up chargers around a festival site to cater for 50,000 - 100,000 extra vehicles though so even when infrastructure is all in place large events will cause problems as people will either want to charge on route, as near as possible, or soon after leaving so there will be massive queues.

For one event once a year needing that level of charging, it will cause problems - already been seen in places in tourist season like Cornwall and Wales where there is no daily demand but huge seasonal/large event demand.

Do they not hold charge for 6 days though?  So when there's plentiful grid charging they'll be OK? 

1 hour ago, Nobody Interesting said:

I work in a youth hostel in the lake District and where's the nearest charging point is becoming one of the most common questions I get asked.

As it happens there's about 5 a couple of hundred metres away. Unfortunately they are in a car park which has a habit of flooding everytime it rains. Good job rain isn't an issue in the lake District then...

2 hours ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Imagine the queues at all local charging stations the day before and after when we 'all' have EV's.

The UK is in dire need of infrastructure

There is no realistic scenario where we all have EVs

34 minutes ago, Cooter said:

Hope not, we've got a recent brilliant invention from the mid 1800s! called the internal combustion engine. 

you'll be able to give Jacob, and Jeremy a race, the race of the dinosaurs! 😛 

4 hours ago, Cooter said:

Hope not, we've got a recent brilliant invention from the mid 1800s! called the internal combustion engine. 

Indeed, the leccy car pretty much preceded it (but didn't have the infrastructure), as covered by the Prof 

Https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m001f7y1

Edited by clarkete
  • Upvote 1

Thankfully we get a minibus each year as I wouldn’t fancy trying to use any of the chargers for my EV within about 20-30 miles of the site, suspect they might be absolutely rammed. 
Having said that even if you charged say 50 miles away that will be more than enough to get you there and back without needing to fight for a charger closer.
Anyone that lives closer could charge at home beforehand and wouldn’t need a public charger.

13 hours ago, clarkete said:

Do they not hold charge for 6 days though?  So when there's plentiful grid charging they'll be OK? 

People travel from all over by car etc to get to GF and many drive over night - either they need to stop to charge on route so they have a good charge to get home after or charge after leaving the site.
Either way that means lots of folks wanting to charge before and/or after at the highly likely limited number of chargers within an hour of the site.................... and how would a yeat like 2017 I think it was when the queues lasted all day work as vehicles would lose charge while waiting to get in.

I am sure the UK will find way around it all cos the UK at the moment is doing so well at everything - please read that with sarcasm

12 hours ago, philipsteak said:

I work in a youth hostel in the lake District and where's the nearest charging point is becoming one of the most common questions I get asked.

As it happens there's about 5 a couple of hundred metres away. Unfortunately they are in a car park which has a habit of flooding everytime it rains. Good job rain isn't an issue in the lake District then...

Highlights the problem really well.

I do wonder one day when the vast majority are EV's and we get one of our every rarer Snow Events - then what. Thousands of cars stuck on motorways with power being used to keep warm giving flat or near flat batteries.................. then the road opens up but one in 10 cars cannot now move!!

Don't get me wrong, I am all for Green energy etc, the sooner the better - but EV's are not and never have been a logical easy way to go. Hydrogen was quicker, cheaper and easier but the indutry and invested heavily in Electric so that's where we went

Not really related to Glastonbury but the main issue with public charging is that in some cases it’s so expensive. I worked one out the other day to be more than filling an ICE car, mad. I guess as more chargers get installed by more and more suppliers the price will come down a bit.

Having said that, home charging is very cheap. £6ish for a full charge (280 miles when it’s warm, 230 when it’s cold)

1 hour ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Highlights the problem really well.

I do wonder one day when the vast majority are EV's and we get one of our every rarer Snow Events - then what. Thousands of cars stuck on motorways with power being used to keep warm giving flat or near flat batteries.................. then the road opens up but one in 10 cars cannot now move!!

Don't get me wrong, I am all for Green energy etc, the sooner the better - but EV's are not and never have been a logical easy way to go. Hydrogen was quicker, cheaper and easier but the indutry and invested heavily in Electric so that's where we went

It's more complicated than a lot of petrol heads have led us to believe https://amp.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/aug/27/the-guardian-view-on-hydrogen-hype-its-perhaps-not-as-green-as-you-think

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, The Nal said:

A lot of EVs dont move if they run out of battery. Cant be pushed or towed. Stuck in gear/park. Wouldnt fancy that at Glasto 

In the mud.

Not true, most, if not all, have a tow/transport mode, which releases the gear/electric handbrake, and is run from the 12V battery.

Not much different to a modern ICE car with electric handbrake that runs out of petrol/diesel.

Edited by ghostdancer1

5 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

Not much different to a modern ICE car with electric handbrake that runs out of petrol/diesel.

We have an 11 year old golf with leccy handbrake, never run out, but good to know that just in case 👍

18 minutes ago, clarkete said:

As someone who is certainly not a petrol head and has been a Green activist for nearly 20 years I have read and listened lots on the subject of Hydrogen.
Working Hydrogen cars have been around since 2007/8 and Japan, unless they have altered recently has always said that is their way forward.
The UK chose to not go that route years ago so has done nothing much to be able to - like most things - Hydrogen has issues like all things (EV's where does all the Lithium come from for example) but it has the least problems of production and being clean as you make it from water and when used it gives water as a by product.

There is a major study paper from a group of UK professors that backs it's use - I'll try and find it later but it is a heavy and long read.

but as the major economies have pretty much all chosen EV's then that is what we are doing....... apart from haulage, trains, planes, ships and more that look like going down the hydrogen route and in part cos it is cheaper and easier it is also what they want to use for space flight and plan to produce it on the moon.............. but the masses seem unable to use that route.

Personally I think in 50 plus years most of what we are now doing will be scrapped for better, easier cheaper ways and I think Hydrogen will be one part.............. I will never see it all though cos I will be dust by then