Do Glasto cater for electric cars?

Franky

2 hours ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Highlights the problem really well.

I do wonder one day when the vast majority are EV's and we get one of our every rarer Snow Events - then what. Thousands of cars stuck on motorways with power being used to keep warm giving flat or near flat batteries.................. then the road opens up but one in 10 cars cannot now move!!

Don't get me wrong, I am all for Green energy etc, the sooner the better - but EV's are not and never have been a logical easy way to go. Hydrogen was quicker, cheaper and easier but the indutry and invested heavily in Electric so that's where we went

Hydrogen isn't efficient enough at individual vehicle level, plus my EV will sit with the heater running for 24+ hours, much longer than a liquid fuel car

FB_IMG_1710173509149.jpg

Edited by ceetee
  • Upvote 1

We’re going to have a situation where people have an EV and 2nd vehicle petrol/diesel for use where the EV isn’t practical. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ceetee said:

Hydrogen isn't efficient enough at individual vehicle level, plus my EV will sit with the heater running for 24+ hours, much longer than a liquid fuel car

FB_IMG_1710173509149.jpg

Toyota would say different - and as your picture does not show where the info is from I will trust Toyota at this point
https://www.toyota.co.uk/hydrogen

Also, your heater works like that from a full charge - how about if you have driven 250 miles and then get stuck on a motorway for 12 hours in the snow? Will it heat you and then get you off the motorway to the queue to recharge OK?

4 hours ago, Nobody Interesting said:

As someone who is certainly not a petrol head and has been a Green activist for nearly 20 years I have read and listened lots on the subject of Hydrogen.
Working Hydrogen cars have been around since 2007/8 and Japan, unless they have altered recently has always said that is their way forward.
The UK chose to not go that route years ago so has done nothing much to be able to - like most things - Hydrogen has issues like all things (EV's where does all the Lithium come from for example) but it has the least problems of production and being clean as you make it from water and when used it gives water as a by product.

There is a major study paper from a group of UK professors that backs it's use - I'll try and find it later but it is a heavy and long read.

but as the major economies have pretty much all chosen EV's then that is what we are doing....... apart from haulage, trains, planes, ships and more that look like going down the hydrogen route and in part cos it is cheaper and easier it is also what they want to use for space flight and plan to produce it on the moon.............. but the masses seem unable to use that route.

Personally I think in 50 plus years most of what we are now doing will be scrapped for better, easier cheaper ways and I think Hydrogen will be one part.............. I will never see it all though cos I will be dust by then

I want intending to suggest that you were one of them, but many of them refer to it as the panacea and how it would be a simple transition, clearly you appreciate there's more to it than that. 

As for your last paragraph, sadly at the rate we're going I'll be delighted if the majority of countries are still populated in 50 years 😢

29 minutes ago, clarkete said:

would be a simple transition, clearly you appreciate there's more to it than that. 

from my experience in Bristol. the transition seems to be going pretty smoothly, just about every taxi is now electric, and the drivers say they're very happy with ev's. for their work, there's also plenty of charging stations. so it looks very do-able for joe public without a drive to park and charge on. - I'd be very happy to get one, not sure I'd feel the same if i was rural.

19 minutes ago, Neil said:

from my experience in Bristol. the transition seems to be going pretty smoothly, just about every taxi is now electric, and the drivers say they're very happy with ev's. for their work, there's also plenty of charging stations. so it looks very do-able for joe public without a drive to park and charge on. - I'd be very happy to get one, not sure I'd feel the same if i was rural.

Sorry I wasn't referring to EV's but to hydrogen. 

Just now, clarkete said:

Sorry I wasn't referring to EV's but to hydrogen. 

sorry, my mistake - can't see hydrogen taking off - too much completely new infrastructure would need to be built(worldwide - in more than the uk)without it there won't be the demand for hydrogen vehicles, without the vehicles there's no demand for infrastructure. ev's are a nice middle ground because there's already an electricity distribution network.

14 hours ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Toyota would say different - and as your picture does not show where the info is from I will trust Toyota at this point
https://www.toyota.co.uk/hydrogen

Also, your heater works like that from a full charge - how about if you have driven 250 miles and then get stuck on a motorway for 12 hours in the snow? Will it heat you and then get you off the motorway to the queue to recharge OK

The data is from The Argonne National Laboratory's Advanced Powertrain Research Facility https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0360319908011439?via%3Dihub

There's just as much chance of me driving on the motorway in the snow with 1% charge as someone driving with 1% of liquid fuel - not much. In a comparable situation, the BEV would last longer.

Anyway, how many times a year do you get stuck on the motorway in snow? I've been driving for 30 years and it's never even been close once?

While you're worrying about something that'll never happen,  I've driven 36k miles virtually emission free and for ~1.5p/mile 👍

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting read this.  FWIW, I do 20,000 miles per annum and went EV in Jan this year.  I'lll be driving from Huddersfield to Glasto in my Tesla this June.  My house is too old have a home charge box fitted, but;

• I'm leasing the car on a salary sacrifice scheme, which also gave me a £500 credit on their charging app (Octopus EV);
  • Tesla's public supercharger network is excellent and relatively cheap (35p - 50p per kW, which means about 8p - 12p per mile);
  • Head office - which I visit twice a week - has free to use 7kW chargers in the car park.

Even in cold weather it will do 325 miles on a full charge and will charge from 20% to 80% in about 20 minutes at a supercharger.  I've absolutely no regrets making the switch, however colleagues who've joined the EV scheme via work and not gone for a Tesla seem less enamoured.  Their charging network makes them the obvious choice for me.  

There is still a charging facility on site - some mobile rapids run by the AA near bronze gate. They're for emergency top ups if you are at a low state of charge and cost the earth (was £80 when I went to look in 2022) to get you to 80%.

I've done the 220 odd mile journey in a 30kWh LEAF a couple of times and do arrive with not much left in the battery. On both occasions I've just left the site early one morning to use the Instavolts at a hotel on the other side of Shepton so I'm prepared for leaving on Mon morning. The queues at the rapids at Solstice Park in Amesbury are quite big on the way home though.

15 minutes ago, Nuthugger said:

oh he can just park there then

I would but I don't mind popping out for a quick charge. Means I get to drive in to the festival all over again which is never less than exciting. Although one year I did this and totally forgot where I parked on my return to the festival which meant 2.5 hours wasted wandering aimlessly looking for a pylon I was no longer parked alongside.

if its any use - i just noticed yesterday that there's the instavolt charging station just  to the north of Bristol  by the junction of the m4 with the m32, (the charging station is just by  the first junction on the m32) should be easy to find and access without traffic jams .