Dexys?

internetjef

For the last decade or more, they've done the newest album in full followed by some hits. Both at festivals and their own shows. Unlikely to change that. They are a risky (undeerstatement) festival booking and while I love them deeply and they've been amazing every time I've seen them, were I booking a festival, I wouldn't have them anywhere near it, just because the casual observer is likely to get a bit er... restless and start witlessly bellowing for 'Eileen'

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Listening to Geno gives me goosebumps. 

Also, I have never been able to understand some of the lyrics sang because Kevin Rolan's voice doesn't make them clear.

As an aside, one of my brothers mates was in a shop with his mom in Birmingham (back in the day) and Kevin Rowland walked into the shop. My brothers mate mentioned that fact to his mom. His Irish mother then thought that her son knew Kevin Rowland, so went up to Kevin and asked him if he wanted her to repair all the holes in his jeans. 

Ha ha, excellent 😊

47 minutes ago, Mardy said:

For the last decade or more, they've done the newest album in full followed by some hits. Both at festivals and their own shows. Unlikely to change that. They are a risky (undeerstatement) festival booking and while I love them deeply and they've been amazing every time I've seen them, were I booking a festival, I wouldn't have them anywhere near it, just because the casual observer is likely to get a bit er... restless and start witlessly bellowing for 'Eileen'

Seems to have been what happened in the Acoustic 

18 hours ago, internetjef said:

My understanding was Dexys were just playing loads of new stuff and shunning the old stuff.

however some recent setlists suggest they may be splitting the sets into new  stuff first with ‘classics’ to follow 

If looking at an afternoon park slot are we expecting Geno, Jackie Wilson says and come on Eileen?

Or none of the the above?

Saw them last year. They played a first set of new songs and then came on a did a bunch of older stuff that I didn’t know and then made up for it by playing Come On Eileen, Geno and Jackie Wilson - those songs sounded so good 😊 

8 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Seems to have been what happened in the Acoustic 

You see, I was at the front at that Acoustic Stage set last time and thought it was brilliant,  the atmosphere around where I stood was just joyous. I've seen Dexys several times and they are always genius. In forty years they've never produced a dud in my view. All this talk of old stuff good  and new stuff bad is bollocks. Just go with an open mind and hear whatever they go with on the day and if your ears are open I'll guarantee you'll enjoy. Rolland's voice alone is extraordinary. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, bamber said:

Ha yes. Best TOTP moment ever!

the stuff of legends, like seaman stains, and master bates - except jocky wilson was true.

I have a little bit of an in with Dexys, and I asked if they would consider introducing I’m Just Looking into the set. It is absolutely one of the best things ever committed to tape. I was greeted with a fairly withering look. If they haven’t played a track in the last year: I wouldn’t expect it at Glastonbury. 

38 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

What about This Is What She's Like? The greatest tune of all time.

Don't Stand me Down is the best of all their records. 

This is one for the Brushstrokes fans out there.

An unexpected look for Kevin singing a very beautiful song very beautifully. 

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

What about This Is What She's Like? The greatest tune of all time.

Just listened to this again after a number of years. Still has the same affect now as the very first time I heard it. It is etherealy ambiguous, blurry.  You can never be sure about what it all means yet you feel an unquestionable emotional,  palpational connection.  

If you don't know it, seek it out.

30 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

When the horn riff kicks in about two thirds of the way through is f**king TAPS AFF KEV

They did play it last time. There is a ( terrible) recording of it on YouTube. 

This is a decent recording from around the same time, though the album version in uniquely polished. 

On 3/15/2024 at 7:05 AM, westholtschic said:

From October 

IMG_2483.png

I'm not sure I'd be able to deal with the disappointment of them not doing There, there my dear. That's one of my faves.

They were absolutely tremendous in Brighton a few months ago.

The new album is listenable and playing it early doors meant there was a tremendous finale. Last 4 songs were Come On Eileen, Geno, Jackie Wilson Said (with Jockey Wilson backdrop) and Tell Me When My Light Turns Green. Soon, Plan B and Until I Believe In My Soul were also performed - some of the greatest music ever written.

I've seen Kev change the arrangements of songs quite a bit in the past but that night they sounded pretty faithful.