Emily Eavis talk in Oxford

gooner1990

40 minutes ago, Alex DeLarge said:

I genuinely think it goes underrated how the biggest festival around is run by Emily. 

Literally look at anywhere else - it's all blokes (Melvin Benn, Andy Copping) but having someone who understands what it's like to be a woman in the music industry and actually make a push for equality is amazing.

Completely agree. However Glasto as an entity is an entirely different animal to most festivals. Largely due to heritage, reputation, (in)famy, and the fact that a large part of the raison detre is supporting charities. Most other fests are corporate/profit making and supported by sponsorship from huge companies. No shade either way, but Melvin Benn would kill the vibe/ethos of Glasto as he’s a company man. Emily would probably do a worse job of running V/Reading/Whatever and they’d lose money. Horses for courses.

20 minutes ago, stuie said:

Actually really jealous! I find her a very interesting character. Obviously her route in to the industry was very natural but she’s more than proven herself and I love that she’s been scrappy and got the men to take her seriously and give her respect. 

Quite, given her career aspiration was to be a school teacher it’s quite a different life she’s ended up living.

Things could have been so different as Michael and Jean planned to make 2000 the last one and retire together, however when she died in 1999 Michael changed his mind and carried on.

1 hour ago, Nestacres said:

Raye won't be playing. She's a Uk festival exclusive for Reading. 

Screenshot_20240307-160247.png

I’d like to know how much Reading and Leeds have paid for exclusivity of Fred Again and Raye this summer 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, a.shep said:

I’d like to know how much Reading and Leeds have paid for exclusivity of Fred Again and Raye this summer 

I would imagine a lot. But i think the Saturday with them is the only day to have sold out, which is no mean feat considering Blink/Prodigy and Liam G/Catfish are on the other days. Raye is probably a lot more expensive now than she probably was when booked though. 

2 minutes ago, Nestacres said:

I would imagine a lot. But i think the Saturday with them is the only day to have sold out, which is no mean feat considering Blink/Prodigy and Liam G/Catfish are on the other days. Raye is probably a lot more expensive now than she probably was when booked though. 

Won’t really be to do with Raye, Lana and Fred again will have been the contributing factors to the Saturday selling out (unsurprising given they are both the headliners), given they both have very big and loyal fan bases 

The industry plant/rich kids/nepo stuff always seems to be aimed at females. Wet Leg, Last Dinner Party, Raye have all had it recently. I've seen some speculation about the industry connections and/or parental wealth of Dua Lipa and SZA too. Gaga, Taylor Swift have had it as well. I mean you can absolutely make a point about this stuff but it's usually the same people who call the famously blue collar Strokes real music.

1 minute ago, Joey Peeps said:

The industry plant/rich kids/nepo stuff always seems to be aimed at females. Wet Leg, Last Dinner Party, Raye have all had it recently. I've seen some speculation about the industry connections and/or parental wealth of Dua Lipa and SZA too. Gaga, Taylor Swift have had it as well. I mean you can absolutely make a point about this stuff but it's usually the same people who call the famously blue collar Strokes real music.

It was only a decade ago festival line-ups were filled with bands like Mumford & Sons and The Vaccines. It's getting harder and harder to be creative and come from a working class background (or even middle class tbh).

That's why rare examples like Sam Fender and Little Simz are refreshing.

16 minutes ago, a.shep said:

What would you guess? 

Weekend and other tickets still available!  That’s not good is it? 

2 minutes ago, Joey Peeps said:

Yea also seen CMAT called a plant this week. Always seems to be women who can write and perform. 

yet people like Fred again gets a free pass. 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

Quite, given her career aspiration was to be a school teacher it’s quite a different life she’s ended up living.

Things could have been so different as Michael and Jean planned to make 2000 the last one and retire together, however when she died in 1999 Michael changed his mind and carried on.

And the next 25 years are history! It’s such an epic story really, the whole background of the festival. 

8 minutes ago, Joey Peeps said:

Nonsense. I’ve seen many people on here say it about inhaler or 1975 cause Matt Healy’s mum is on loose women lol

1 minute ago, stuie said:

And the next 25 years are history! It’s such an epic story really, the whole background of the festival. 

It’s a great story. I knew quite a bit, but only when I got the book did I realise the proper rollercoaster ride. Quite a yard stick for the cultural and political climate too.

13 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

Nonsense. I’ve seen many people on here say it about inhaler or 1975 cause Matt Healy’s mum is on loose women lol

On here isn't the standard takes though - OP is right, it's pretty much always towards women in music.

17 minutes ago, stuie said:

What would you guess? 

Weekend and other tickets still available!  That’s not good is it? 

The 2022 festival sold out in January of that year. As far as I can see it didn't sell out last year.

Blink-182, Fred, Raye, 21 Savage, Lana, a reunited Catfish, The Prodigy would be big sellers you'd think. Then the undercard is full of hyped up artists: Spiritbox, Denzel Curry, Nia Archives, Barry Cant Swim, Overmono, Fontaines D.C., Skrillex, The Last Dinner Party, Wunderhorse and TikTok/ indie favourites Two Door Cinema Club and the Wombats. 

If I was designing a line-up for 16-24 year olds that's pretty mad on paper. So I wonder what the problem is?

12 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

Yeah, The 1975 have had huge success in America because his Mum was in Corrie and his Dad was in Auf Wiedersehen Pet. Whilst I get having successful parents opens doors and gives you the financial security to chase your dreams, it's nothing if you can't back it up with solid tunes and working hard to get to the level The 1975 are currently at globally. American record companies wouldn't have given a sh*t about Matt Healey's actor parents. 

2 hours ago, TiZuff said:

wasnt suggesting you were but feels like the only headliners that will appease a majority of people online would be radiohead, arctics, pulp, oasis, nick cave, blur, depeche mode, the who... do you see a pattern? 😄 

ps i love all those bands. but it just goes back to the festival having a future. for every arctics / radiohead there just has to be a kendrick lamar, dua lipa, sza, olivia rodrigo, stormzy etc. 

you are right about other stages, sometimes people act like theres one stage or that if they dont get 3 pyramid headliners they want the lineups sh*t. hopefully they stop trying for tickets 🤣

While I absolutely completely and totally get it, the festival needs a future, the thing about festivals being a home for alternative folk is where the feeling of conflict lies. 

Pop headliners is just the cool kids stealing the fun stuff again.

I'm not daft enough to fully believe my own argument here. But I do think it's unfair that "oh you're just old" and out of touch always gets chucked around when there is a legitimate feeling of being excluded from the culture we created [and when I say "we" I mean my parents because I'm too young].

Anyway that's an aside, I'm pleased there's two female headliners and I'm pleased that attracting a mainstream audience ensures the future of the festival. Looking forward to the Park lineup. 

43 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

She came across really well today. She never expected, or wanted, to do this long term, but once she found herself leading it, she was determined to do things her own way whilst still respecting the festivals history and ethos. She knew the festival needed to remain current to ensure it's longevity whilst not abandoning what makes it so special in so many people's hearts. A tricky balance to navigate, especially with her determination to drive the equal representation agenda in the face of a massively male dominated industry and the inevitable cynicism many people have viewed her with since she's taken over. 

No other festival can sell out every year without a single artist being announced until months later. So, i'd say she's smashing it to be perfectly honest. 

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Joey Peeps said:

Yes, is it merely my jaded perception that a thread prompted by a talk about Women in Music isn't as open minded as one would hope? 

Alternatively can't tell if it's just cos I'm such an sjw w@nker

1 hour ago, stuie said:

Actually really jealous! I find her a very interesting character. Obviously her route in to the industry was very natural but she’s more than proven herself and I love that she’s been scrappy and got the men to take her seriously and give her respect. 

She’s doing a fantastic job IMO. Hopefully others can follow in her footsteps.