Emily Eavis talk in Oxford

gooner1990

May have mentioned before that I work within the University, and we just got this mailshot to say EE will be in Oxford giving a talk on 7th March, free entry and might be of interest to some people! (Although its not specifically about the festival)

https://oxfordculturalprogramme.org.uk/event/women-leading-the-way/

• Upvote 6

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/26/2024 at 9:56 AM, gooner1990 said:

May have mentioned before that I work within the University, and we just got this mailshot to say EE will be in Oxford giving a talk on 7th March, free entry and might be of interest to some people! (Although its not specifically about the festival)

https://oxfordculturalprogramme.org.uk/event/women-leading-the-way/

I have today off, I'm supposed to be moving house but I guess I could attend. I'd be interested in the subject matter.

8 minutes ago, Franco Baresi said:

Bring us the news Gooner!!! .... and I don't mean that Arsenal are gonna win the league 😉

My main concerns are.

1. Phone signal: The Sheldonian Theatre is over 500 years old.

2. Even if I have signal, being told to turn phones off completely. 

Will obviously try my very best, I'm going to it basically to hear Emily and if Q&A happens ask her about the line up, although I'm sure it will crop up anyway before that........

• Upvote 1

Host: Thanks Emily for that fascinating talk on women in the music industry. Now, do we have any questions from the audience?

A dozen middle-aged men in efest t shirts: When's the lineup out? Why did Stevie fall through? Are Kings of Leon playing the churnups slot? Why don't you get Nick Cave to headline the pyramid?...

😂

• Like 6
  • Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

My main concerns are.

1. Phone signal: The Sheldonian Theatre is over 500 years old.

2. Even if I have signal, being told to turn phones off completely. 

Will obviously try my very best, I'm going to it basically to hear Emily and if Q&A happens ask her about the line up, although I'm sure it will crop up anyway before that........

You or someone else will get an answer if the question relates to the topic of the discussion she may not at this stage be wanting to give out more . So personally I’d ask something about women leading the way on this years lineup rather than specifically questions on headliners . Unless that’s already been asked and answered 

• Upvote 2

I'd imagine that any questions that stray too far from the topic (Women in Music), will be shut down by the moderator before Emily has to answer them.

If she is given a chance to answer them - realistically Emily will have short off the shelf answers for the obvious questions.

I feel that any names that are dropped today (and I do think there probably will be some) are more likely to come within the panel discussion part rather than via questions as it'll come across more organically (even if it's pre-planned).

1 minute ago, incident said:

I'd imagine that any questions that stray too far from the topic (Women in Music), will be shut down by the moderator before Emily has to answer them.

If she is given a chance to answer them - realistically Emily will have short off the shelf answers for the obvious questions.

I feel that any names that are dropped today (and I do think there probably will be some) are more likely to come within the panel discussion part rather than via questions as it'll come across more organically (even if it's pre-planned).

When I did a q and a with her about the festival she took around 15 questions possibly 8 or so ones I had gathered from here . But many deliberately were unrelated to headliners and the topic was less specific . She did answer them all though and didn’t seem anything like a politician answering 

2 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

When I did a q and a with her about the festival she took around 15 questions possibly 8 or so ones I had gathered from here . But many deliberately were unrelated to headliners and the topic was less specific . She did answer them all though and didn’t seem anything like a politician answering 

Sure, but that was a different type of event though.

For this she's one member of a 4 person panel, all of whom have their own credentials / things to be asked about, and there's a moderator who will be keen (and probably tasked) to ensure that this doesn't turn into The Glastonbury Festival Hour.

3 minutes ago, incident said:

Sure, but that was a different type of event though.

For this she's one member of a 4 person panel, all of whom have their own credentials / things to be asked about, and there's a moderator who will be keen (and probably tasked) to ensure that this doesn't turn into The Glastonbury Festival Hour.

Yep fair 🙂 

35 minutes ago, Simsy said:

Host: Thanks Emily for that fascinating talk on women in the music industry. Now, do we have any questions from the audience?

A dozen middle-aged men in efest t shirts: When's the lineup out? Why did Stevie fall through? Are Kings of Leon playing the churnups slot? Why don't you get Nick Cave to headline the pyramid?...

😂

I'll have you know I'll be wearing a shirt and smart jeans  😄 

• Like 1

I'd imagine she's so used to being asked for tickets and what the line up is by people that shes surprised when her reflection doesn't do it.

So what I'm saying is... Please repeatedly heckle until we get something out of her!

30 minutes ago, incident said:

I think she might drop Dua Lipa if we are to get anything.

I can’t imagine she’d share anything to do with this year’s festival to be honest. It would be a bit disrespectful to the rest of the panel given they’re all there to talk about something else.